Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Hence my comments about learned behaviours.

If you grow up poor you're more likely to be poor throughout life, if you grow up among unhealthy people you're going to be more likely to live an unhealthy life, if you grow up in an ignorant or uneducated environment you're more likely to live your life ignorant and uneducated.

Goodes comments post the incident broadly spoke of this person needing support and education. In saying that he's completely on the money. All he has advocated for is more education, support and understanding across society, but yet people don't want to see or hear that, what they want to see, hear and highlight is the things they believe he is doing wrong, to the point where the only kudos he receives is for winning Brownlows and Flags, with the caveat that he's a diver and a bit of a sniper.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Remi Moses, Twodogs, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeemak, perhaps the best explanation I have read about Goodes and his genuine intentions on that night. Many thanks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hence my comments about learned behaviours.

If you grow up poor you're more likely to be poor throughout life, if you grow up among unhealthy people you're going to be more likely to live an unhealthy life, if you grow up in an ignorant or uneducated environment you're more likely to live your life ignorant and uneducated.

Goodes comments post the incident broadly spoke of this person needing support and education. In saying that he's completely on the money. All he has advocated for is more education, support and understanding across society, but yet people don't want to see or hear that, what they want to see, hear and highlight is the things they believe he is doing wrong, to the point where the only kudos he receives is for winning Brownlows and Flags, with the caveat that he's a diver and a bit of a sniper.
    But it's the media that highlights it both ways too
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I also might add a lot of players get booed but the media was the one who managed to mention it was racial booing .. How the hell can you summize saying boo to someone is racial ? We do it to Reiwoldt for the last ten years but because he isn't black it's not racial!
    Maybe we just boo him Because he is so good and plays for the opposition, maybe he did something like Reiwoldt did and that's why he gets booed but to actually say its racial is just media making something out if nothing.. The media has gone completely mad !
    If it was racial wouldn't everyone that plays and is his race get booed ? They don't so it's not racial.
    It's football culture to boo an opposition player and he just happens to be the swans one who gets it.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes AndrewP6, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I also might add a lot of players get booed but the media was the one who managed to mention it was racial booing .. How the hell can you summize saying boo to someone is racial ? We do it to Reiwoldt for the last ten years but because he isn't black it's not racial!
    Maybe we just boo him Because he is so good and plays for the opposition, maybe he did something like Reiwoldt did and that's why he gets booed but to actually say its racial is just media making something out if nothing.. The media has gone completely mad !
    If it was racial wouldn't everyone that plays and is his race get booed ? They don't so it's not racial.
    It's football culture to boo an opposition player and he just happens to be the swans one who gets it.
    That's not right. He gets booed because he has opinions that challenges the Australian psyche .
    To me it's okay if our indigenous players to play nice football, but hey don't get political.

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What players get booed regularly? I don't watch AFL apart from our games so I don't know. I'd be interested to know if there's anyone who's regularly booed without a specific reason (like the Riewoldt one) and likewise what exactly Goodes could have done to Carlton or Gold Coast to elicit that response.

Also does Franklin get booed. You'd think he'd be a more likely target appearing to be more of a dickhead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What players get booed regularly? I don't watch AFL apart from our games so I don't know. I'd be interested to know if there's anyone who's regularly booed without a specific reason (like the Riewoldt one) and likewise what exactly Goodes could have done to Carlton or Gold Coast to elicit that response.

Also does Franklin get booed. You'd think he'd be a more likely target appearing to be more of a dickhead
    I don't think they boo their own, so he doesn't get booed.
    The curse is dead.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We booed Ward and Griffen the other night, franklin gets booed by hawks supporters, we boo Reiwoldt collingwood has even booed its own in Cloke !
    It's not racial in any way shape or form, if Goodes is saying its racial its him making it racial just by saying it isnt it ? it's media making something out of an Australian culture to boo at Sport if we wish, We boo broad at the cricket, we have booed tennis players we boo at every sport about something.
    Why would Australians be racial against Austrailans?
    Lets face it in reality it was the Australian government who were the racial ones back in the 50s not the Australian people.
    I'm sorry but I think the whole booing me is racist is so childish and attention seeking rubbish.
    It's an insult to the Australian football fan to even suggest it's racist in my eyes.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're missing the point Ledge, go back to the opening post because it's posing the question why GC supporters are booing him. What is their reason?

16. Likes chef, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You're missing the point Ledge, go back to the opening post because it's posing the question why GC supporters are booing him. What is their reason?
    Who knows could be many reasons maybe they saw him do something in a pack or maybe they just don't like him but to play the racial card is rubbish, do GC fans boo every indigenous Australian if that was the case I would say it was racist but they don't so it's something related to him not his race.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think ledge is missing the point. I think we have moved away from the GCS question and into new territory about why Goodes gets booed at all. And I think he makes a series of series of excellent points about why a whole bunch of people, indigenous and non indigenous get booed.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where we might find some source of some of the booing.

Nobody ever chained up my family so I am not suggesting this is the same from my point of view.
    But, I remember being on trains in Japan, and kids pointing to me and saying ' Mum, he has a big nose'. Now it could be racial, but it's a kid. it could equally be 'factual' from a child's point of view.

Hindsight is an easy thing, but should the girl have been ejected from the grounds without her family? It would have been more appropriate to take her up to the comms box sit her down with her family and explain the policy, and suggest they might want to go away and think about it as a group.
    I don't think it's a good idea for minors to be ejected from a ground by themselves. The family has to take responsibility.

Obviously Adam felt very offended. A remark is racist if someone feels it is, and Adam did the right thing.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

20. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't think ledge is missing the point. I think we have moved away from the GCS question and into new territory about why Goodes gets booed at all. And I think he makes a series of series of excellent points about why a whole bunch of people, indigenous and non indigenous get booed.
    I believe GC are booing him because it's now done by other sides and if they and other teams supporters are booing him because of what he has said in recent years it's not a good reason.

22. Likes Ghost Dog, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe GC are booing him because it's now done by other sides and if they and other teams supporters are booing him because of what he has said in recent years it's not a good reason.
    Absolutely. GC as a club have no dog in this race. I have no idea why their supporters are boing Goodes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

24. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We booed Ward and Griffen the other night, franklin gets booed by hawks supporters, we boo Reiwoldt collingwood has even booed its own in Cloke !
    It's not racial in any way shape or form, if Goodes is saying its racial its him making it racial just by saying it isnt it ? it's media making something out of an Australian culture to boo at Sport if we wish, We boo broad at the cricket, we have booed tennis players we boo at every sport about something.
    Why would Australians be racial against Austrailans?
    Lets face it in reality it was the Australian government who were the racial ones back in the 50s not the Australian people.
    I'm sorry but I think the whole booing me is racist is so childish and attention seeking rubbish.
    It's an insult to the Australian football fan to even suggest it's racist in my eyes.
    You give examples where there's clear reasons that players get booed. But then when it comes to Goodes you play dumb about how it could be anything and decide to interpret the argument as being "all booing is racist". No one's saying booing is always racist but that Goodes gets booed because he's an Aboriginal who's spoken out about racisim and the treatment of Aboriginal people. There's no other apparent reason.

I call bullshit.

Who knows could be many reasons maybe they saw him do something in a pack or maybe they just don't like him but to play the racial card is rubbish, do GC fans boo every indigenous Australian if that was the case I would say it was racist but they don't so it's something related to him not his race.
    That's a terrible argument. "I only beat up one nigger. I didn't try to beat them ll up so I can't be racist." The argument is that people don't like Goodes for stepping out of line (in their view) on racial issues. People feel the black man should know his place, toughen up and accept our society for what it is. That's why they boo him. Because they're uncomfortable with the things he says.

26. Likes chef, merantau liked this post