Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Wasn't there some booing controversy last year at a AFL game in Perth?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...28-gim3m7.html

What are people thinking now in Perth? "I'm definitely going to Boo Adam Goodes harder next time."

Next time I go to the footy, I'm going to target some Pies fans and make up some story about a fictitious racist comment, have them booted out just for fun and I bet I could get away with it!
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 28-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I've had my say on this thread, so I won't go on too much but I do find it fascinating that many seem to be able to read minds, and ascribe their own meaning to why the booing occurs. This, without being able to accept that people are free to make their own minds up and express themselves as they see fit.
    Could you honestly say hand on heart that there isn't a skerrick of racism in some re. goodes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Martin Flanagan put it well today when he likened the booing of Goodes to 'a rope with many strands.'
    Agree entirely, and you couldn't say there is a skerrick of race hate .
    Australian of the year received some negative feedback, the issue with the girl,etc etc
    There is a section that didn't like his comments when he received the Australian of the year , and there's some who to paraphrase Jack Nicholson " you can't handle the truth"

5. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodes is bloody struggling with this one. regardless of your opinion of him he's doing it tough and I can't see things changing for him anytime soon. I know people who know him reasonably well through the Supply Nation initiative and he has confided in them that he may not play on next year because of the affect the booing is having on him. He believes it is racially motivated. I do feel sorry for Adam, but I am also glad that what is happening is challenging beliefs and putting the racist debate right at the coal face for discussion.

It would be an absolute shame for a two time Brownlow medalist to go out like that.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Murphy'sLore, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I've had my say on this thread, so I won't go on too much but I do find it fascinating that many seem to be able to read minds, and ascribe their own meaning to why the booing occurs. This, without being able to accept that people are free to make their own minds up and express themselves as they see fit.
    To the extent this is now happening to Adam Goodes it's clearly a form of bullying and as such the freedom for people to 'express themselves as they see fit' is now at best highly questionable. And as a side note very few people would have the fortitude to boo him to his face so it's really not an issue of expressing themselves as they see fit, more it's just about the freedom of doing it at a safe distance.

The clubs position of "Be Loud, Be Fair" is spot on and what is happening to Adam Goodes certainly isn't fair.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot me down I'm 52 maybe just old fashioned, but a few thoughts that go through my head are
    1 it's only booing it can be a form of respect because he is or was so good a player.
    2 take it as a compliment , embrace it ,make it your own make it positive and look at it at a different angle, smile at the crowd like you enjoy it.
    3 I don't believe it's racist at all it's just if you know as a supporter you can get under an oppositions skin and put him off his game you will.
    4 Get on television and come across as a good person, say things like I love a vocal crowd, boo me it makes me play better, I think it's great im recognised.
    5 Some sports encourage it look at wrestling, they even have an unpopular judge on these singing shows.
    6 don't take it as racist , human nature sometimes says when your accused if something your not you get your back up and do it more.
    7 Some players become crowd favourites to boo, it's nothing to do with race, why is it this time ?
    8 he should be proud he is aboriginal not look at it as a negative.
    9 I am English back in the 70s I copped every pommy slang you could think of and still do. It's great rivalry.
    10 I think it's been over dramatised by the media and now it's escalated.
    If the media didn't bring it up early on it would have been dead and buried by now.
    11 harden up its just a word of banter, it is not a racial word it's footy !
    I don't wish I'll of Adam , great footballer but I tend to agree with Dermott, I remember him sliding into a player feet first, that's what I would boo him for. Not his race ..he is Australian why the hell would Australians boo and Australian for being Australian ?
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To the extent this is now happening to Adam Goodes it's clearly a form of bullying and as such the freedom for people to 'express themselves as they see fit' is now at best highly questionable. .
    It has become a form of bullying, racially motivated or not, it has now gone too far.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Response deleted.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Adam Goodes slides feet first into a player, Luke Hodge forearms peoples faces, Sam Mitchell is a repeated kneeing offender (among other things)...............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Adam Goodes slides feet first into a player, Luke Hodge forearms peoples faces, Sam Mitchell is a repeated kneeing offender (among other things)...............
    And Stephen Milne was booed every touch of every game of every year he played... Can't remember the outrage over bullying, I must have just missed it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This has gone way beyond 'normal' booing. It now seems to have become a 'thing' (re Rocco's sheep comment above) and cowardly people are seizing the opportunity of anonymity to express their inchoate discomfort with being confronted by Australia's historical oppression of the Aboriginal peoples. They can also take refuge in convenient justifications about Goodes' on-field behaviour, but it's clearly gone past that. It's classic psychological projection. Adam Goodes articulates uncomfortable truths and we can't bear to hear bad stuff about ourselves, therefore we turn him into the villain. I have lost count of the number of times I've now heard it suggested that he should apologise to the 13 year old who shouted out the 'ape' comment. HE should apologise? Talk about blaming the victim. Congratulations, we have managed to turn this incident around 180 degrees and it's now all Goodes' fault he was abused. Baffling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    And Stephen Milne was booed every touch of every game of every year he played... Can't remember the outrage over bullying, I must have just missed it.
    Not sure what point you are making?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This article articulates the Milne comparison better than most I've read (and better than I can, to be honest):

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...up?CMP=soc_567

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure what point you are making?
    I'm awaiting the ongoing booing of violent Hawks players who over the years have been at least equally and overtly dirtier than Goodes has been.

If Dermott's logic rings true, and Goodes is treated the way he is because he slid legs first into a contest then Mitchell and Hodge should receive the same treatment.

21. Likes hujsh liked this post