Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callan Ward

Post Thanks / Like

Callan Ward

This article may be of interest to some. It's in this weeks issue of my local paper, the Werribee Banner.

It might come out a bit big, but at least you will be able to read it.

85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward

Geez, only in year 11. Thanks for posting that TCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Geez, only in year 11. Thanks for posting that TCD.
    That is one of the real reasons why he probably won't slip to the 2nd round. He should be gone by 15.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope we can get him with pick 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Hope we can get him with pick 19.
    We need smart footballers and he seems to be one of the more naturally smart footballers available and being a local boy it could be a great marketing coup.

Post Thanks / Like

is he a defender or is that just a mistake?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    is he a defender or is that just a mistake?
    Plays both forward and back.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading Coon Dogs article...

If Callan is in year 11, does anyone know if he will be doing year 12 or going straight to the club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Banana View Post
    Just reading Coon Dogs article...

If Callan is in year 11, does anyone know if he will be doing year 12 or going straight to the club?
    Dangerfield nominated that he wouldn't play next year and as far as I know Ward will play.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't been since Brad Johnson or Daniel Giansiracusa that we've recruited a local boy like this - brilliant stuff, get on board Spotswood FC

Physically is he capable of playing next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    It hasn't been since Brad Johnson or Daniel Giansiracusa that we've recruited a local boy like this - brilliant stuff, get on board Spotswood FC

Physically is he capable of playing next year?
    He probably is but it might not be worth it. I'm a firm believer that it is just so important to get a new player, particularly a bottom age one, through their first season without injury.

He has carried a couple of injuries so he should not be pushed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He probably is but it might not be worth it. I'm a firm believer that it is just so important to get a new player, particularly a bottom age one, through their first season without injury.

I wasn't suggesting any need to rush him, just more wondering physically where was at?

Is it frequent that bottom age players like him carve up the TAC cup - was he rated in that comp in 2006? Did he play TAC cup in 2006

For him, he's obviously improved enormously over the past year, and he wont have to change his life too much, he'll be training either at the same ground as the Jets (Willi) or with the senior group at the Whitten Oval.

I like the idea of a no fuss, no nonsense backyard Bulldog - we need more of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I wasn't suggesting any need to rush him, just more wondering physically where was at?

Is it frequent that bottom age players like him carve up the TAC cup - was he rated in that comp in 2006? Did he play TAC cup in 2006

For him, he's obviously improved enormously over the past year, and he wont have to change his life too much, he'll be training either at the same ground as the Jets (Willi) or with the senior group at the Whitten Oval.

I like the idea of a no fuss, no nonsense backyard Bulldog - we need more of that.
    I knew you weren't rushing him bit I generally take a view that anything that you get out of a draftee senior footywise in their first season is generally a bonus.

I still think the Pies wrecked Josh Fraser by rucking him so much in his first year. He has never developed into the footballer that he should have been.

Like you, getting the local boy from our own backyard really appeals to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew you weren't rushing him bit I generally take a view that anything that you get out of a draftee senior footywise in their first season is generally a bonus.

I still think the Pies wrecked Josh Fraser by rucking him so much in his first year. He has never developed into the footballer that he should have been.

Like you, getting the local boy from our own backyard really appeals to me.
    Development is a difficult balance of giving kids a taste of senior levels be it VFL or AFL depending on their bodies ability to handle it, and continuing to develop them physically and skillwise. Our 2006 draft was a very interesting case study in it. Perhaps not surprisingly the two players with TAC cup experience (Everitt and Harbrow) were more able to handle the step up to AFL seniors that then rest (Stack, Lynch, Hill, OShea)

I believe from glimpses I have seen that Stack could be a pretty incredible player, but in 2007 we split his time between the VFL seniors and reserves and seem to have taken a long term view to the whole groups development. The same way we seem to have done a really good job easing OShea into things. Of course it remains to be seen how much they will continue to develop, but we've certainly took a long term view of them.

Interesting thoughts on Fraser - Ratten just spoke very well about how they would give Kruezer a taste in season 2008 but they wouldn't leave him in the ruck against Jamie Charman for 4 quarters to get smashed to pieces. Both Ratten and Matty Knights are actually pretty sensible media performers and have slightly surprised me by how good they are, Knights in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Also is heading into year 12 and will probably want to focus solely on getting results in exams.

Use this year as a developmental year and debut him in 2009.