Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 16, 2023 vs Fremantle

This is the Round 16, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this afternoon's game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 16, 2023 vs Fremantle

B

Straight goal kicking - who thought it’d be important
    West - Everywhere and turned the tide
    Marra- Gun

A

Dropping West to start with
    Henry trade rumours - hard pass
    McNeil’s first 3.5 quarters (but took his easy set shot, so that’s a plus)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Our defense. I know Amiss and Walters kicked 4 each, but I thought they really battled hard as a unit. Duryea is really underrated I feel. I don't think he's cooked.

Our whole team after we fell behind in the last. That response was all character.

Jamarra. He is something special.

Anchors

1. Naughton's first 3 qtrs.

2. Jamarra's turnover in the last that led to Freo goal.

3. Ray Chamberlain's htb decision against Bontempelli in the last.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Marra’s marking is a delight. I don’t think his work ethic is fully appreciated.
    2. Libba is having such a great season. He is all heart and such a tough extractor. And today was the first overhead mark I can remember him taking!
    3. The clubs social media this week about the kids (our “recruits”) was really terrific. Everyone from Sam Power to Chris Grant played along beautifully and if you want to feel extra proud of Our Boys as human beings, see the way they relate to the kids in the singing of the song post match.

Anchors.
    1. Still feels like oppositions score too easily, but then you look at our threadbare defence and think they actually did ok.
    2. Ray Chamberlain. Just because.
    3. Lobb’s form a serious worry.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

7. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, josie, EasternWest, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. JUH's marking - great to watch how he launches himself at the ball
    2. Libba's work in the middle of packs
    3. The team for refusing to lose this one.

Anchors

1. Lobb's pathetic first two quarters
    2. The 4 umpire system - doesn't actually work
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Following only WOOF on game day, you were all I had plus scores cos we don't do them
    Jamarra is growing
    We are growing, will make finals and could well get better
    Treloar is a banker and if we get another gun Italian player, we are guranteed of mafia backing.
    A
    Our weaker players
    Not being able to see the game (taking care of business).

10. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You really nailed your summary Bulldog Tragician. Many thanks

Bankers
    - Sensational initiative by the club to allow the youngsters in for nothing. I shudder to think what the crowd numbers might have been otherwise
    - Marra's Go-Go gadget arms in a marking contest were sensational. It's a real skill to be able to mark the ball at full stretch
    - Treloar is hugely important to our team.

Anchors
    - My god Freo are a boring team to watch, great for supercoach stats but until the start playing more direct especially when time is running out in the game they'll struggle to contend with the stronger teams.

No other negatives from my perspective and I get why we didn't really draw a big crowd today.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Bankers
    - Sensational initiative by the club to allow the youngsters in for nothing. I shudder to think what the crowd numbers might have been otherwise
    - Marra's Go-Go gadget arms in a marking contest were sensational. It's a real skill to be able to mark the ball at full stretch

Anchors
    - My god Freo are a boring team to watch, great for supercoach stats but until the start playing more direct especially when time is running out in the game they'll struggle to contend with the stronger teams.

No other negatives from my perspective and I get why we didn't really draw a big crowd today.
    Am I mistaken in thinking that's across the league and not just us?

Post Thanks / Like

Going to go with a few different bankers plus some extra ones, as I agree with all the posts above?.

Bankers:
    1 Poulter did alright - pretty quick and good decisions, seemed to slot in seamlessly and did not panic
    2 JoD - starting to make the game investment look worthwhile
    3 Keath - thought he did ok today, turned the clock back a bit - I thought Jackson would kill us today and thought Keath at least broke even
    4 Scott looking more assured - a good game from him today, looking like more and more like a best 22
    5 Gardner taking a good contested mark instead of punching, he also looked more assured today
    6 Great to see families on ground at end of game, wish it was allowed more often

Anchors:
    1 Keath?s mini mullet - mate trim that longer bit at the back, your a dad now and that?s not a good look for a chap that is IMO quite pleasant to look at, even with the pi**ed off PE Teacher scowl
    2 HTB decisions seemed to be one way for a bit there and that high they missed against Cody was surely because it was Cody?.
    3 Cannot think of anything else
    Last edited by josie; 01-07-2023 at 09:05 PM.

15. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anchors
    - My god Freo are a boring team to watch
    Can you imagine what is like watching them play the Giants?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

JUH, and Daniel everywhere
    Weightman's all round game, NB when he does not have the ball
    West's cameo - very unselfish and effective

Anchors

I honestly didn't know that Hannan was playing
    Naughton for most of the game, just not involved
    Best I can say about Lobb is that he is a better back up ruckman than Dunkley
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Ugle-Hagan his rare ability is hard to overlook.
    Rhylee West - immediate impact with goal assists, has to be in the starting line up next week.
    Poulter - a promising debut although did Walters get a hold of him a couple of times ?

Anchors
    Naughton and Lobb only deciding to turn up in the last quarter.
    Bailey Smith - nowhere near the form he is capable of.
    Our bottom 6, low contributors.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Anchors

Freo has been the most boring team to watch pretty much every year since existence, Longmuir is a yawn to listen to.

I must say this year the dogs outside of individual brilliance have been average on the eye also, very conservative with ball in hand, it was nice to see some consecutive goals yesterday it has been a rarity this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Freo has been the most boring team to watch pretty much every year since existence, Longmuir is a yawn to listen to.

I must say this year the dogs outside of individual brilliance have been average on the eye also, very conservative with ball in hand, it was nice to see some consecutive goals yesterday it has been a rarity this year.
    Without a doubt the worst ever AFL franchise.

Post Thanks / Like

B

West had a huge impact, built on his willingness to compete and really apply a hard nosed attack on the contest alongside smart, deft touches.

JUH, superb performance. Exciting, classy, mostly efficient.

A

4 umpire system has created a bystander effect. Go back to two umpires.

Tackling - still getting waltzed through too frequently

Closing level 3 where we usually sit.

22. Likes anfo27 liked this post