Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Career Best Thread

Would it be our best win in Ballarat ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Would it be our best win in Ballarat ?
    Not sure. I focus on the players output.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not sure. I focus on the players output.
    Very coach like, direct and to the point.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Horrible, horrible loss vs GWS at GWS in an elimination final

Tim English - Most Hit Outs 30
    Lewis Young - Most R50's 8
    Zaine Cordy - Most R50's 6

Season over.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1. Embarrassing loss on Prime Time. Vs Collingwood at Docklands (16 minutes less game time)

Bailey Smith: Highest SuperCoach Score 106
    Ryan Gardner (3 games now): Most Disposals 11, Most Kicks 8, Most Marks 5, Highest SC 44, Highest AFLFP 49 (= Most Tackle 1)

(Three game rule on Cavarra)

That is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Unsure where to post this and unsure if it has been mentioned elsewhere.

What has been forgotten (well for me) is that a number of players won their first AFL final against Essendon and then backed it up against Brisbane.

Its all good and well playing and beating top 8 teams in regular home and away season but as we all know finals is a totally different proposition.

The confidence these players will take for not only this week against Port but into 2022 needs to be harnessed over the pre season to make sure we are again still alive come prelim final weekend in 2022.

First Finals Win
    Bailey Smith, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith, Tim English, Laitham Vandermeer, Josh Schache, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman, Lewis Young, Ryan Gardiner,

First finals win for the RED WHITE & BLUE
    Taylor Duryea, Mitch Hannan, Adam Treloar, Alex Keith

Regardless what happens this week V Port the below players now know they have the ability to match it and beat the best when the whips are cracking.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie, JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC/WBFC - Largest winning margin in a final, 71 Points

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith - 4 goals. In a prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Career Bests: R4 2023 - vs - Richmond

English: 17 Kicks, 9 Tackles, =4 R50, AFL FP 145 Points

Edit:

R1: Richards: 21 Kicks

R3: Dale: 16 HB
    R3: Baker: 17 Kicks, =2 GA, 8 I50, SuperCoach 95 Points, AFL FP’s 88 Points

14. Thanks Bulldog Joe, josie, ratsmac, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heart this thread.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

R7 2023

A. Jones: 4 Tackles
    E. Richards: 10 R50’s

18. Thanks GVGjr, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Note:

Having done this thread, there?s a disturbing trend. Guys within the first few years should be smashing Career Bests in some regularity as I look at a bunch of stats. Past players that didn?t were the likes of Hayes, Gowers (after his first season) etc.

Hannan playing keeps my job easy, unless his told is to not generate stats. Guys like McComb and to an extent Scott aren?t lifting their games in line with historical expectations of players that make the grade. Young talent like Marra aren?t hitting new PB?s regularly either. It is not about new PBs in and of themselves, it is a development curve that doing this thread shows me week to week, year to year of players improving output from a low base as they grow into their hopeful careers. Take Hannan, he hasn?t got a stand alone PB/Career Best stat in his entire time at the dogs (unless you really want debate his 4 hit outs vs Carlton last year and some very low numbers on R50/I50). How does this happen?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...itchell-hannan

English & Richards are only the main shining lights on this curve. I don?t expect older guys to hit PB?s so it?s not a full analysis. But the lack of PBs in the first five rounds is about as bad as I can recall on player development in recent times. The history of this thread shows, this is a canary in the coal mine for a bad year and an indicator that a bunch of players will need to unclog the list. If this inability to improve individual performances from low bases continues (a lack of small and/or regular incremental improvement across a whole cohort of players) then the word rebuild might be more commonly used on here.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 16-04-2023 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Note:

Having done this thread, there?s a disturbing trend. Guys within the first few years should be smashing Career Bests in some regularity as I look at a bunch of stats. Past players that didn?t were the likes of Hayes, Gowers (after his first season) etc.

Hannan playing keeps my job easy, unless his told is to not generate stats. Guys like McComb and to an extent Scott aren?t lifting their games in line with historical expectations of players that make the grade. Young talent like Marra aren?t hitting new PB?s regularly either. It is not about new PBs in and of themselves, it is a development curve that doing this thread shows me week to week, year to year of players improving output from a low base as they grow into their hopeful careers. Take Hannan, he hasn?t got a stand alone PB/Career Best stat in his entire time at the dogs (unless you really want debate his 4 hit outs vs Carlton last year and some very low numbers on R50/I50). How does this happen?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...itchell-hannan

English & Richards are only the main shining lights on this curve. I don?t expect older guys to hit PB?s so it?s not a full analysis. But the lack of PBs in the first five rounds is about as bad as I can recall on player development in recent times. The history of this thread shows, this is a canary in the coal mine for a bad year and an indicator that a bunch of players will need to unclog the list. If this inability to improve individual performances from low bases continues (a lack of small and/or regular incremental improvement across a whole cohort of players) then the word rebuild might be more commonly used on here.
    I hear you BT and I have been quietly lamenting that a bunch of players seem to go backwards at a very early stage.

McNeill showed a lot of promise in his first year and is now struggling to get a kick at Footscray.
    West is just hanging around.
    You have discussed Hannan but the problem is recruiting him at that age, probably the same with McComb.

All the signs are disturbing and we need to address it NOW.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

21. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I hear you BT and I have been quietly lamenting that a bunch of players seem to go backwards at a very early stage.

McNeill showed a lot of promise in his first year and is now struggling to get a kick at Footscray.
    West is just hanging around.
    You have discussed Hannan but the problem is recruiting him at that age, probably the same with McComb.

All the signs are disturbing and we need to address it NOW.
    Well, if things don’t turn around soon and players 17-23 in the team keep treading water and not showing incremental development, then it’s going to be a long year and possible rotating selection door of players showing they’re good VFL players who get promoted and then dropped a couple of games later. This is what’s making me debate whether we refresh or rebuild…

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if things don’t turn around soon and players 17-23 in the team keep treading water and not showing incremental development, then it’s going to be a long year and possible rotating selection door of players showing they’re good VFL players who get promoted and then dropped a couple of games later. This is what’s making me debate whether we refresh or rebuild…
    It is not just the talent or lack of.

We need to address our development process.

Surely players should improve from the time the arrive, but we have recent history of players being as good as they get in their 1st year.

This means the development/coaching is not giving the direction to improve.

If you keep doing what you have always done you keep getting what you have already got (or worse)

or

If you are not improving you are going backwards.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

24. Likes GVGjr liked this post