Thanks Thanks:  200
Likes Likes:  159
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Career Best Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a real bonus that Hamling has already had that development. He has stepped up to AFL level and adjusted to the tempo. A change of scenery and an opportunity to play must feel good after three years.
    You'd think so wouldn't you but he's like a rug on valium getting interviewed. Zero personality and looks like he wants to be elsewhere. Nothing against that just an observation.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You'd think so wouldn't you but he's like a rug on valium getting interviewed. Zero personality and looks like he wants to be elsewhere. Nothing against that just an observation.
    Maybe he just hates being interviewed? Plenty of sportsmen do.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think he gives interesting answers, he doesn't always follow along with where the questioner is directing him and openly disagrees at times
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He's a very quiet lad and I get the impression he wouldn't watch a game of football. He and Kelly were at the players sponsors yesterday and while Hamling went through the motions and answered the questions Kelly took the more senior role and even walked around the audience with the microphone getting questions. Both were drafted in the same year and from memory only 7 picks apart.

You can tell Hamling is the quiet country boy. I don't think he is a footy head.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's a very quiet lad and I get the impression he wouldn't watch a game of football. He and Kelly were at the players sponsors yesterday and while Hamling went through the motions and answered the questions Kelly took the more senior role and even walked around the audience with the microphone getting questions. Both were drafted in the same year and from memory only 7 picks apart.

You can tell Hamling is the quiet country boy. I don't think he is a footy head.
    I've always wondered about that. To me being an AFL player (and the dedication and commitment needed to attain that level), just has to go hand in hand with being a footy head. I can't see how they're mutually exclusive. Humans don't cease to amaze me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered about that. To me being an AFL player (and the dedication and commitment needed to attain that level), just has to go hand in hand with being a footy head. I can't see how they're mutually exclusive. Humans don't cease to amaze me.
    I think most players see it as a career and a stepping stone to greater things and it consumes their time and effort while others treat it more like a job. It has to be a lot harder for a player to become elite who sees football as a job.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think most players see it as a career and a stepping stone to greater things and it consumes their time and effort while others treat it more like a job. It has to be a lot harder for a player to become elite who sees football as a job.
    There must be some sense of loss of the romance of it all no doubt. When I was a kid I wanted nothing more than to be like KT and play VFL footy. I dreamed about it everyday, wore my screw in boots to primary school most days and used to get my Grandmother to sign KTs name over everything and pretend it was his signature. Footy was very different then.

I was interested to hear from the players association a month ago that a high percentage of players do not enjoy what they are doing. This really indicates to me that many players see the game as a 'job'. I was wondering about our players and whether any felt the same, which would be a shame. I'm hoping those were cleaned out at the end of last season.

Anyway, I'm derailing...

9. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dane Swan.
    Gary Ablett Snr

Not always the way
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Dane Swan.
    Gary Ablett Snr

Not always the way
    Yeah I suppose. I think Beasley came over from W.A because Melbourne offered better opportunities for stockbroking. I remember him saying that who drafted him was not important and that he didn't come from WAFL straight into an VFL club, on the contrary he came for business reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Stew Crameri - Goals Kicked, 7 - Vs Essendon, 2 August 2015
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 02-08-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Hunter 36 touches V Essendon, 2 August 2015

BOOM
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Daniel - Goals Kicked 2 and Most Disposals, 19 - Vs Essendon, 2 August 2015
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs & Footscray Football Club - Winning three games in a row by 60+ points - first time ever - Vs Melbourne, 16 August 2015

17. Likes Throughandthrough, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not strictly career best, but most applicable thread I could find.

Just had it pointed out to me that today is Dale Morris' 206th game, which moves him into the top 20 Bulldogs of all time, in terms of games played.

Just thought it was a little milestone worthy of some recognition.

19. Likes Maddog37, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs Footscray FC - 40 players played in a season, a record number for any finals team in VFL/AFL history.