Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  99
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Tom Liberatore

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Liberatore

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah that was a long time back. Think he was only 20 back then.
    He was 24 when we won the GF. He was still a pretty loose unit back then and for a few years after from memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Wasn't there a story that he was basically out the door at the end of 2017, but he made a commitment to do everything required and more.

Came back for 2018 preseason in great shape but then did his second knee.

Since then the only issue has been managing his body.
    That seems pretty accurate to me

3. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He was 24 when we won the GF. He was still a pretty loose unit back then and for a few years after from memory.
    It doesnt feel like we won the GF 7 years ago. I feel so old.

Post Thanks / Like

Veteran Dog rejoins leadership group after nine-year absence

Tom Liberatore has been appointed vice-captain at the Western Bulldogs for 2024

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Tom Liberatore has been appointed vice-captain for the 2024 season, nine years after the midfielder was last in the leadership group at the Whitten Oval.

The 31-year-old has been one of the most consistent performers at the club across the past four seasons, finishing second or third in every Charles Sutton Medal since 2020.

Former St Kilda skipper Jarryn Geary joined the Bulldogs as leadership and development coach during the off-season and led the leadership process this month, with Liberatore featuring prominently in the votes.

Five-time All-Australian and five-time best and fairest winner Marcus Bontempelli will captain the club for the fifth consecutive year in 2024.

Iconic club figure Ted Whitten led the Bulldogs on 212 occasions ? the fifth most in VFL/AFL history ? and will take some beating, even though Bontempelli is only 28.

Star key forward Aaron Naughton and All-Australian Caleb Daniel have both been named deputy vice-captains.

After having a five-man leadership group last season, the Dogs have added three new names to the group, while Jack Macrae hasn?t been included this season.

Liam Jones has been recognised for his great return season to the club ? and to the AFL ? with a leadership title, along with emerging star Ed Richards.

The pair both produced brilliant 2023 campaigns, putting themselves in All-Australian contention mid-year before injury setbacks. Richards still finished third in the Sutton Medal, while Jones came fifth.

Veteran small defender Taylor Duryea has been retained in the leadership group, underlining his standing inside the four walls of the club.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It doesnt feel like we won the GF 7 years ago. I feel so old.
    How do you reckon Tom feels ? he's in his 28th year ! Have a look at that face, it's learned a lot more than 28 years can teach a bloke, a natural mentor for James O'Donnell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    How do you reckon Tom feels ? he's in his 28th year ! Have a look at that face, it's learned a lot more than 28 years can teach a bloke, a natural mentor for James O'Donnell.
    32nd year

Post Thanks / Like

Great achievement from Tom. On field and training he has been nothing but a professional and deserves his vice captaincy.

As Bevo said, he has learnt to mature quickly after a few off field discretions which he has left behind him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    32nd year
    Many are saying 32 is the new 24.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Apparently Gen Z are aging terribly so 32 might basically be the same as 24

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    32nd year
    If I'd been any good at maths, I'd have been a engineer - in which case, half of Melbourne's bridges would be falling down.

16. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom matured . He is a father now isn’t he ? That in itself brings maturity.
    I think it’s a lot of the group who came along with him have matured together.
    They have partners and children.

He also has a strange quirky lovable personality that would make you play for him. We all love him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Most are saying it's old AF though.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Tom signs for another year

Tom Liberatore’s extraordinary career will extend into a 15th AFL season after agreement on a one-year contract extension at Mission Whitten Oval.

The 31-year-old is locked into the Club until at least the end of 2025, rewarded for his remarkable consistency with an early extension this season.

Drafted as a father-son in the 2010 National Draft, Liberatore has carved out an exceptional career that includes an AFL Premiership and Charles Sutton Medal, as well as being named vice-captain of his boyhood club in 2024.

Liberatore averaged 27 touches per game last season and was named in the All Australian squad of 40.

Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting Sam Power was delighted to keep Liberatore at the Kennel for at least another season.

“Tom epitomises the heart and soul of the Western Bulldogs and we’re thrilled to extend him into 2025,” Power said.

“His level of consistency over a long period of time stands up with some of the best midfielders in the competition, alongside his ability to lead and bring younger players with him on the journey.

“Being named vice-captain this season was great reward for Tom. He’s a very popular member of the locker room and leads by example on field, playing a selfless role through our midfield.

“Tom really believes in what the Club is building on and off field and fans should look forward to seeing the No. 21 running out for years to come.”

Liberatore was pleased to have his contract locked away for another season.

“I’m rapt to sign again, it has been a great journey so far,” Liberatore said.

“It is really nice to get it done this early particularly given the start to the season and I am focused on what we’re building here at the Club.

“I’ll try and catch the old man, think he played for 16 years so I’m one behind.

“It is a great honour to play for the Club I grew up supporting and to play in the same place Dad did for such a long period of time is a great privilege and honour.

“The connection between the old and young players is really strong, the VFL is going well, obviously a long way to go but the future is looking exciting.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog, MrMahatma, Twodogs, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tommmmmeeeeee
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff. Tom is the heart and soul of our club and a great player. His best footy for us has been over the last few seasons.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"