Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  14
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarryd Roughead out indefinitely after having melanoma removed.

There's a new sheriff in town hawthorn .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Unless Jarryd asked for the captaincy I don't understand the logic behind this. The bloke is coming back from a life threatening condition and has been out of the game for a long time. Just let him play football without the added responsibility. Makes sense to me. I wish him all the best.
    Great that he's coming back ( hopefully the team is crap) but making him captain ? Not sure about that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Unless Jarryd asked for the captaincy I don't understand the logic behind this. The bloke is coming back from a life threatening condition and has been out of the game for a long time. Just let him play football without the added responsibility. Makes sense to me. I wish him all the best.
    Hawthotn traded their current captain and his obvious replacement. Roughie is the next obvious replacement but I agree he has enough on his plate without the captaincy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hawthotn traded their current captain and his obvious replacement. Roughie is the next obvious replacement but I agree he has enough on his plate without the captaincy.
    2016 Captain - Good Bloke Hodgy is still there.

Makes even more bizarre to burden Roughy.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    2016 Captain - Good Bloke Hodgy is still there.

Makes even more bizarre to burden Roughy.

I thought of him but he doesn't seem to be Hawthorn's favorite player at the moment for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm really, really chuffed for Roughead and should point out that all of this is academic in comparison to health, has anyone stopped to think that his appointment as captain is an indirect compliment to us? Hawthorn see us ( quite rightly) as the one to chase and have made the change of captain with us squarely in mind? This, I believe is because of:

1. The 'symbolism' of the Bont's obliteration of Hodge in the elimination of Hawthorn; and
    2. The fact that an inspired Dogs will be driven to win another flag for their inspirational captain.

In Hawthorn's shoes, I think they needed the added impetus of Rougead as captain.... Even though it has put an enormous burden on a bloke who's trying to come back from a life threatening illness.

Call me a narcissist, but I think they have an envious eye on us squarely and had us in mind in making the decision.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Webby. That's pretty much what I meant too.

Plus watching Hodge, their skipper, have his pants pulled down by Bont every time they play against easy other (I get the feeling that Bont really likes beating Hodge) won't do their confidence much good.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Friday night before the game, an ex Hawthorn player was at my place doing some garden work. He said he had just got off the phone from Hodge.

Hodge said " I am getting too old for this stuff", I knew we had them that night in the semi final.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Murphy'sLore, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The changing of the guard:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand people being a bit iffy on Rough being made captain, but realistically, looking at their leadership group, is anyone else a viable option?

Hodge and Gibson will be having swansongs, and I don't think any of Shiels, Stratton, Smith or Gunston are ready for the job.

Losing Mitchell and Lewis the way they did will bite them in the backside in a big way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I can understand people being a bit iffy on Rough being made captain, but realistically, looking at their leadership group, is anyone else a viable option?

Hodge and Gibson will be having swansongs, and I don't think any of Shiels, Stratton, Smith or Gunston are ready for the job.

Losing Mitchell and Lewis the way they did will bite them in the backside in a big way.
    Smith maybe. Who is captain of the vice for them? You'd think he's a good chance of being captain a few times whoever it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking to Hawthorn supporters I think Shiels is actually the most likely candidate after Roughead.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Although I'm really, really chuffed for Roughead and should point out that all of this is academic in comparison to health, has anyone stopped to think that his appointment as captain is an indirect compliment to us? Hawthorn see us ( quite rightly) as the one to chase and have made the change of captain with us squarely in mind? This, I believe is because of:

1. The 'symbolism' of the Bont's obliteration of Hodge in the elimination of Hawthorn; and
    2. The fact that an inspired Dogs will be driven to win another flag for their inspirational captain.

In Hawthorn's shoes, I think they needed the added impetus of Rougead as captain.... Even though it has put an enormous burden on a bloke who's trying to come back from a life threatening illness.

Call me a narcissist, but I think they have an envious eye on us squarely and had us in mind in making the decision.
    The Napoleon effect - it was widely regarded that the French army faught as if they had another 10,000 soldiers at their disposal because of the effect Napoleon's presence on the battlefield had on the espirit de corps of the troops.

The Murphy effect was likely a contributing factor last year.
    Roughy's appointment seems to be an effort to tap into that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers