Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 14 Discussion

Round 14 Fixture

Date Home vs Away Venue Local AEST TV

Thur, Jul 2 Sydney vs Port Adelaide SCG 7.20pm 7.20pm Seven

Fri, Jul 3 Collingwood vs Hawthorn MCG 7.50pm 7.50pm Seven

Sat, Jul 4 Richmond vs GWS Giants MCG 1.40pm 1.40pm Foxtel

Sat, Jul 4 Gold Coast vs North Melbourne Metricon Stadium 4.35pm 4.35pm Foxtel

Sat, Jul 4 Western Bulldogs vs Carlton Etihad Stadium 7.20pm 7.20pm Seven

Sat, Jul 4 Melbourne vs West Coast TIO Stadium 7.10pm 7.40pm Foxtel

Sun, Jul 5 Essendon vs St Kilda Etihad Stadium 1.10pm 1.10pm Foxtel

Sun, Jul 5 Adelaide vs Geelong Adelaide Oval 2.50pm 3.20pm Seven

Sun, Jul 5 Fremantle vs Brisbane Domain Stadium 2.40pm 4.40pm Foxtel
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 14 Discussion

Jay Schultz is going to get weeks because of the outcome of a tackle that wasn't a sling tackle.

3. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Joy .
    One million Bryce Gibbs references

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jay Schultz is going to get weeks because of the outcome of a tackle that wasn't a sling tackle.
    Still picked him up in the tackle. Lifted him of his feet, slung him and his head hit the ground. He's gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's season over for Port.
    Two down on the pine, and typical of Sydney they find a way.
    Josh Kennedy prolific.
    Port are playing on their own terms, and their ball movement has been stymied.
    Can no longer find the corridor either.
    Big lesson for our club ,in that it doesn't just happen automatically

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Well that's season over for Port.
    Two down on the pine, and typical of Sydney they find a way.
    Josh Kennedy prolific.
    Port are playing on their own terms, and their ball movement has been stymied.
    Can no longer find the corridor either.
    Big lesson for our club ,in that it doesn't just happen automatically
    Was at the SCG tonight. Port's disposal by hand and foot was truly hideous. They could have won that.

For the Swans, Sam Reid was surprisingly good. Kennedy, Parker and Hannebury excellent.

Port were very disappointing, buggered if I know what has happened to them.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gibbs penalty has set the tone now. If you perform a skill of the game, and the opposition is injured as a result of it, you're gone. Its a bullshit standard to have, but one that so many of us are prepared to accept because of the "head is sacrosanct" campaign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The Gibbs penalty has set the tone now. If you perform a skill of the game, and the opposition is injured as a result of it, you're gone. Its a bullshit standard to have, but one that so many of us are prepared to accept because of the "head is sacrosanct" campaign.
    Here's the thing though. I've never regarded picking up a player in the tackle as a "Skill of the game". I'll say it again and again. Libba is the historical benchmark when it comes to tackling and he never, ever had to pick up a player in this manner to get the job done.

The primary aim of a tackle should NEVER be to injure the player, but to win a free kick for your team. That is done by not allowing a player to dispose of the football, and you don't need to sling him into the ground to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that the Gibbs one was a perfect tackle and what all kids are taught.

Pretty easy way to look at it: if the Gibbs/Schulz tackle is an example of a perfect tackle and a skill of the game, would we be happy every week to see players get knocked out as a result?

No, we wouldn't. Therefore, it's not a perfect example of a skill of the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely the Adelaide/Geelong game will have to be cancelled now. What happens next? Is there any precedent for this kind of situation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Surely the Adelaide/Geelong game will have to be cancelled now. What happens next? Is there any precedent for this kind of situation?
    Pretty much unprecedented in elite sport in this country.

I guess you can look at the Phil Hughes tragedy. The Test match wasn't cancelled but postponed by a week. I think we could see this match pushed back until later in the year - perhaps a midweek fixture.

The horrible irony is that this match is vital to both teams finals chances, though that will be furtherest from Crows minds right now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    You would think it will be deferred to a later part of the season
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pretty much unprecedented in elite sport in this country.

I guess you can look at the Phil Hughes tragedy. The Test match wasn't cancelled but postponed by a week. I think we could see this match pushed back until later in the year - perhaps a midweek fixture.

The horrible irony is that this match is vital to both teams finals chances, though that will be furtherest from Crows minds right now.
    Very difficult with the overall schedule. In past seasons they have had a round spread over 2 weekends, which might have made it easier, but that is not there this year.

It would seem unlikely that they would defer the finals by a week, so if they don't play it may just need to be treated as an official draw with 2 points awarded to each team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see where they could schedule the game later in the year.
    My first thought was match abandoned, split the points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Very difficult with the overall schedule. In past seasons they have had a round spread over 2 weekends, which might have made it easier, but that is not there this year.

It would seem unlikely that they would defer the finals by a week, so if they don't play it may just need to be treated as an official draw with 2 points awarded to each team.
    I can see it happening this way. Whilst Adelaide players might want to play in Walsh's memory, I don't see that as being all that fair given the high stakes of the game.

2 Premiership Points each, 100 points to each in the F/A column for percentage purposes. A halfway poing might be to play the match but as an exhibition game, not for premiership points.