Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: "Sling tackles"

Post Thanks / Like

"Sling tackles"

".... the AFL has this week introduced guidelines for rough tackles by sanctioning players who pin an opponent’s arms and take them to ground with force." via Fox Footy

Put aside the absolutely ridiculous wording and consequences if you like but...

I am really concerned that the "head is sacrosanct" campaign has really expanded its sphere of influence over the game. We've seen it spread along this continuum, not all instances result in suspensions but the disciplinary gaze has certainly turned on them:

Deliberate strikes to the head. (but created "jumper punches" which seem to go unnoticed)
    Incidental contact to the head caused by choosing to create a collision instead of going for the ball.
    Incidental contact to the head caused by a collision even when going for the ball. (unduly rough play)
    Instances where the impact has caused a player to hit the ground, causing injury. Extending now to this reframing of tackles towards "sling tackles" and trial by outcome.

I'm wondering, once we have this confusing and really broad application of the tackling rule applied (true to form, inconsistently)... what next? Knees to the back of the head in a marking contest? Serious question. It is application of force to the head by an opponent that doesn't have to occur, the player has an opportunity to not do it.

I understand we want the game to be as safe as possible and no one wants to see serious injuries in the game. However, there is an inherent risk of injury purely by participating in a sport that allows tackling, bumping, jumping, jostling, spoiling etc, physical contact. I'm aware this is not a popular opinion, but I have a real concern that the OHS lens / risk management framework being applied to the game is going to take us much further down the path than we'd really prefer.

Apologies if it sounds ridiculous, or that I am advocating for people to be injured. I just am interested to hear peoples' thoughts beyond what the media are pushing at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Sling tackles"

I would have agreed strongly until I did some reading on the impact of concussion to NFL players over time. Scary stuff.

It really is just a reflection of the broader community which is continually trying to reduce any risk in all situations too.

Post Thanks / Like

Tackling has become a huge part of the game, and the numbers per game have grown dramatically and therefore the risk of injury.

I think if you are going to pin someones arms, you shouldn't then throw them into the turf head first. Why throw them onto the ground anyway?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tackling has become a huge part of the game, and the numbers per game have grown dramatically and therefore the risk of injury.

I think if you are going to pin someones arms, you shouldn't then throw them into the turf head first. Why throw them onto the ground anyway?
    To hurt them and reduce their influence on the game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    To hurt them and reduce their influence on the game.
    Also to ensure they cannot gain any further ground if they remain in possession of the ball which would be one of two key purposes of any tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree entirely.

If you pin a player's arms and drive him into the ground after picking him up, you're gone.

And for what is worth I saw nothing wrong with Jeremy Howe's tackle. The player landed on his back, not his head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Agree entirely.

If you pin a player's arms and drive him into the ground after picking him up, you're gone.

And for what is worth I saw nothing wrong with Jeremy Howe's tackle. The player landed on his back, not his head.
    His arms were also free, so no problems with that one.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His arms were also free, so no problems with that one.
    Why it's even being compared to Schulz and Gibbs has got me stuffed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Why it's even being compared to Schulz and Gibbs has got me stuffed.
    Why Schulz wasn't suspended is also beyond me considering Gibbs got two weeks for the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone involved in the game should be hoping that this gets outlawed .
    Great news for other sports in this competitive market of interest.
    Parents won't want their kids playing Aussie rules if this continues .

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the AFL trying to stamp out sling tackles. It's only something that has come into the game in relatively recent times anyway. We never had to legislate for it during the history of the game, because it wasn't ever a real problem until now.
    Trying to eliminate the sling tackle, or more importantly any tackle that drives an opponents head in the turf with force, does not weaken or diminish the toughness of our game. It is something that should not have come into the game in the first place. I would also think the AFLPA would advocate rules that go to protect it's members from unnecessary risk. This isn't I believe and issue of 'oh but injury is an inherent risk in the game'. This is about players adopting or adjusting their tackling technique to avoid serious injuries. There are other tackling options that would still allow the player to aggressively tackle, without slamming the person's head into the turf.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago the tackle was to grab the player and drag him down to the ground. Now it is to fling, throw or sling him to the ground.

15. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post