Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd/Jordan Roughead ruck combo

I am a big believer that if your #1 ruckman is a gun, you need to think of alternative ways to use your ruck. I think Campbell was been alright in his first two games, definitely prefer him over Will but I think we have another option.

First of all we will need Hamling and Roberts both back. When that happens I would like to see Roughy and T Boyd having a go at sharing ruck duties. If they can both prove to be at least competitive in the ruck, I think they will offer the massive advantage of being able to play an extra tall forward or defender depending on the situation of the game. This can help us when we lose a play to injury or the opposition does, depending on the flow of the game (forward like too top heavy, need another tall down back etc) and if one of the pair is struggling up forward/down back.

Once again, I am pretty happy with Tom. Just that I thin it is an option, one I prefer over Will or Ayce.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd/Jordan Roughead ruck combo

I think they all bring a different strength. I cant dismiss Will as against hard-bodied teams he is crucial.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGentStand View Post
    I think they all bring a different strength. I cant dismiss Will as against hard-bodied teams he is crucial.
    Yeah I think we can use our lack of a clear #1 in a positive way. Go with a ruck team that suits what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to move Minson on, for his sake and for salary cap relief. So we need to work ahead and think of a gameplan with him not around so the rest of the year we should be looking at all options. I still think we need to look at Luey, Bellchambers and Kruezer for next year with campbell as i'm not sold on Ayce getting another contract. So i'd be keen to have a look at this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see how Roughy isnt our #1 ruck.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    If they can both prove to be at least competitive in the ruck, I think they will offer the massive advantage of being able to play an extra tall forward or defender depending on the situation of the game. This can help us when we lose a play to injury or the opposition does, depending on the flow of the game (forward like too top heavy, need another tall down back etc) and if one of the pair is struggling up forward/down back.
    Read this 3 times but couldn't make sense of it

Having players that can play multiple positions helps you move things around and get matchups you like but I'm not understanding how it means you can play more talls
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I dont see how Roughy isnt our #1 ruck.
    I would have Roughy as our 1st ruck but think T Boyd is a bit more than someone who just offers respite when a ruckman is too tired. The combo would allow for Roughy to play down back when we need another tall or get Tom out of the forward line if it is too top heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Read this 3 times but couldn't make sense of it

Having players that can play multiple positions helps you move things around and get matchups you like but I'm not understanding how it means you can play more talls
    Haha maybe a few too many wines but what I mean is that it gives us the option to play a tall forward OR a defender.

For example, we went in with Campbell and Redpath yesterday. Campbell is limited to just the ruck and Redpath can obviously play forward. With the Boyd/Roughy combo, we have the flexibility of having one who can go back and the other forward. It means we can play Tom Boyd without getting too top heavy. Campbell, T Boyd, Redpath, Roughead, Roberts and Hamling = too many limited talls IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I like your thinking Rocco. Really tough decision to make with Will who has been a great warrior for our club. Part ofme says he deserves some loyalty but the other part says that we have a chance to build a genuine premiership winning side over the next couple of years if we get this right.

Will is not going to get any better and his best is not match winning. Luenberger and Bellchambers are no better and Kruezer is injury prone. A ruck combo of Roughy and Boyd appeals and Redpath if he continues to improve could nail CHF and be a good pinchhitter in the ruck if needed. He regularly surprises how competitive he is as a relief ruckman.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will would have smashed the 2 Collingwood ruckmen. Campbell was just ok and I think he still behind Will and Roughy in the pecking order.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Haha maybe a few too many wines but what I mean is that it gives us the option to play a tall forward OR a defender.

For example, we went in with Campbell and Redpath yesterday. Campbell is limited to just the ruck and Redpath can obviously play forward. With the Boyd/Roughy combo, we have the flexibility of having one who can go back and the other forward. It means we can play Tom Boyd without getting too top heavy. Campbell, T Boyd, Redpath, Roughead, Roberts and Hamling = too many limited talls IMO.
    Rocco thank you for the thread and your thoughts. I still rate Campbell and believe he is currently our best ruck option. I have a theory that we still lack a marking key forward and that Roughead might be better suited to slot in at CHF. I would be very happy to use Tom Boyd as the support ruck man where I think he would be better suited than at FF. This would allow Stringer who does his best work closer to goal to become the leading full forward allowing Campbell to change with Boyd in the forward pocket. Redpath looks out of his depth as a change ruck man. With Hamling and Roberts to return we really do not need Roughead to play in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Boyd/Roughy combo, we have the flexibility of having one who can go back and the other forward
    If you mean only Boyd & Roughy and no other ruckman, then it's disruptive as much as flexible. We constantly have to choose whether to break up our forward line or backline, and we can't keep either of them there all game if they really need to stay there. Which means you need an extra tall in each line to cover for when they are in the ruck, and end up overly tall

If you go with Campbell, Boyd & Roughy, then you've got flexibility because you can send Boyd or Roughy in if you like but you don't have to, and Campbell is a decent forward target too
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Is Roughead physically able to ruck a lot of games? He just seems to get more niggling injuries when he does more ruckwork.

I don't mind what NBP is suggesting but if it's Campbell and Boyd does that mean Roughead is still a defender?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loathe to use our best forward option since Chris Grant willy nilly in the ruck. I understand he needs to do a bit of relief work but it sure makes me nervous. My other issue is, as GVGjr says, will Roughie hold up and exactly how much work will Tom need to do?

Are we really so better off playing Roughie and Boyd in the ruck rather than giving Campbell an extended shot at it? Cordy got 6 games to prove what he's got (or hasn't got) so why don't we afford the same opportunity to Campbell before relegating him to the VFL?

Let him finish off the year and see where he's at.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

17. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope we play TC for an extended stretch....and then test the trade waters at the end of the year.

Ultimately I see our ruck set up similar to what Rocco has described here.

TC and Minson are both similar types, yet TC would be considered a valuable asset, IMO. He's contracted, younger and plenty of teams need a young 1st ruck.

If he could net us a good pick or help facilitate trading in a gun defender (Carlisle) or mid (Bennell), I'd certainly have a good hard think about it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.