Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are the best pubs in the west to watch AFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    It is, but only for free to air games. No Foxtel.
    We are on free to air tomorrow.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    We are on free to air tomorrow.
    Delayed isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Live tomorrow on 7 from 3:20pm. So say if you wanted to go straight home Webby from the VFL you could watch it at home.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Live tomorrow on 7 from 3:20pm. So say if you wanted to go straight home Webby from the VFL you could watch it at home.
    Thanks East I didn't know that I am so used to 7 showing us on delayed telecast

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Do not............i repeat. Do not go to the newmarket tavern. Awful awful awful place.
    Come on, isn't it a great experience to watch the game with the doodle-diddle-doodle-diddle pokie machine music drowning out the commentary?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Thanks East I didn't know that I am so used to 7 showing us on delayed telecast
    No worries B4L. Yeah the 3:20pm game on Sunday whether its in Victoria or interstate is shown live. 1:10pm and 4:40pm are the Foxtel games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Come on, isn't it a great experience to watch the game with the doodle-diddle-doodle-diddle pokie machine music drowning out the commentary?
    And to top off the fun, they keep changing the footy to different screens around the room, so you have to keep getting up and finding the game again and resettling in another spot. There must be a secret tunnel to get in because I live in Flemington, and I never see the subterranean creatures inside the joint out on the street........ever.

10. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. On the whole I'm happier not hearing the commentary.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

This question should be are there any pubs still in the west ?
    Development central around the area !!

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Deer Park, the Braybrook, the Derrimut, the Ashley, the Tottenham (gone) the Powell, the Pioneer (gone), the Footscray (?), the Exchange, Con Curtain's (the Courthouse?) the Barkly (gone), the Royal, Healy's Point (gone), the Buckingham, Hart's, the Plough, the Rising Sun (gone), the Guiding Star, there's another pub in Footscray Rd on the opposite side to the Exchange. I reckon there's probably a few blues in this list - it's been a while since I had a drink in the west.

Post Thanks / Like

The Powell. The Rev, the Station, The Mona Castle, that one on the corner of Nicholson street and Buckley st opposite VU where the students used to drink.

Post Thanks / Like

The Belgravia. That was it!

The Rudyard Kipling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The Powell. The Rev, the Station, The Mona Castle, that one on the corner of Nicholson street and Buckley st opposite VU where the students used to drink.
    My old man always used to call that Con Curtain's. So its correct name is the Belgravia. The Mona Castle - know the name but not the location. Is the Albert still operating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re the Derrimut, it was widely believed that during WW2, when Phillip Prince of Greece spent his shore leave at the Derrimut, he fathered a child to the daughter of the licencee. I heard this rumour when I was a kid and many old timers I've met since also heard the story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    My old man always used to call that Con Curtain's. So its correct name is the Belgravia. The Mona Castle - know the name but not the location. Is the Albert still operating?
    The mona Castle is in Seddon strictly speaking but pretty close to Footscray. It's on the corner of North street and Walter(?) street not far from the corner of Charles and Victoria steets.

The Albert is now apartments because if there is one thing we really need more of around here it's apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Re the Derrimut, it was widely believed that during WW2, when Phillip Prince of Greece spent his shore leave at the Derrimut, he fathered a child to the daughter of the licencee. I heard this rumour when I was a kid and many old timers I've met since also heard the story.
    I read another post about that a couple of months ago so I asked my mum about the Derrimut hotel. She said "the pub Prince Phillip was staying at and knocked up the publican's daughter during the war?" so you might be onto something.