Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Voss, Hird & Buckley ushered in this so called 'untried coaches' era where the media were talking about how the need to have a good apprenticeship as an assistant coach was no longer needed to be a senior AFL coach.

Voss ended bad.
    Hird will end worse.
    Buckley has taken a very good team, lost some oldies but got a heap of talent and club support. Gone backwards again this year, honourable or not. Will be probably hurt their club the most.

Is it too early to say this theory is shot to hell and back?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

In fairness to Buckley he's unloaded a fair few from their flag team.
    I think Collingwood will be decent next seasons onwards, but I'd imagine no eight next season and bucks is in trouble .
    Voss was like some mad scientist in the 08 trade period,which ultimately cost him his career.
    Hird should have been out of a job when the debacle first came to light!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

I'm not writing Buckley off yet either, I'm usually quite impressed when I hear him talk.

Either way though, it'll be a long time before anyone is given a head coach job again before serving a healthy apprenticeship.

Post Thanks / Like

At least Buckley had an apprenticeship under Malthouse.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So did Watters and Neeld. Not sure that's the world's best coaching school

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't a real one. He was assistant knowing he was getting promoted no matter what, and Malthouse was hardly warm towards him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    So did Watters and Neeld. Not sure that's the world's best coaching school
    Cough. Brad Scott. Cough...

I wasn't really coughing, I was saying Brad Scott because he's a Malthouse assistant coach and he's shite too.

9. Likes Sedat, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's even the untried bit. It's the club great bit. If James Hird was Nathan Buckley, Essendon would have sacked him 3 years ago but because he is so revered it's more difficult
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

11. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I'm not writing Buckley off yet either, I'm usually quite impressed when I hear him talk.

Either way though, it'll be a long time before anyone is given a head coach job again before serving a healthy apprenticeship.
    Yeah it's funny, I thoroughly enjoy listening to Buckley discuss football. He comes across as a nice guy with perspective (the opposite of Hird) and communicates well. Not sure if he's a good coach or not, but if he ends up in the media it'll be the media's gain.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I too believe that Buckley is going ok.

He has actually undertaken a rebuild without them becoming uncompetitive and they will be thereabouts. The issue they have at Collingwood is that they believe every player would prefer to play for them.
    This can also lead to players drafted to Collingwood getting ahead of themselves.

They have picked up a few from other clubs, but they have also put faith in some that they have simply overpaid for (Jesse White).

Some of their youngsters are showing promise.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

There recruiting isn't very good they swapped Daws for Lynch , recruited White .. I'm not sure if that was coaches decisions or clubs but that has certainly let them down a bit.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

They've drafted well, with Freeman and Scharenberg held back by injury but others performing well. If they can pick up Treloar this summer as predicted, they will have a decent midfield group.

It pains me to say it but I think they will be (along with GWS, Melbourne and probably GC if they keep their players) our main competition in a few years time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    They've drafted well, with Freeman and Scharenberg held back by injury but others performing well. If they can pick up Treloar this summer as predicted, they will have a decent midfield group.

It pains me to say it but I think they will be (along with GWS, Melbourne and probably GC if they keep their players) our main competition in a few years time.
    Scharenbeg's contract runs out this year, I wonder what the Pies will do. You would think they would keep him as he was a gun in the under 18.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Scharenbeg's contract runs out this year, I wonder what the Pies will do. You would think they would keep him as he was a gun in the under 18.
    They do, from the limited i have read it is Scharenberg who is delaying the contract signing.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

While Collingwood have traded a couple of duds, they have also traded shrewdly for some really talented kids, particularly Taylor Adams and Jack Crisp. Levi Greenwood is another who still has his best footy ahead of him.

In terms of under 23 talent, I reckon the Pies are amongst the 5 or 6 healthiest lists (not as good as ours though).

Aside from the teams mentioned above, the other team I think is starting to assemble a dangerous young squad is St Kilda.