Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Two down, in very bad endings.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Two down, in very bad endings.
    And the other is slowly drowning the club year by year.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone recall the James Hird Hologram at the MCG history centre?
    That guy likes his own bathwater, shaken, not stirred.
    Any serious review of applicants would have ruled him out and saved that club millions.

Someone wrote in the Age that once you calculate his pay out, it will have cost 100,000 per game to have him coach.

What about Brisbane? How do you all feel about Leppa?
    I like listening to him speak and I don't mind Buckley either.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What about Brisbane? How do you all feel about Leppa?
    Seems to have steadied the ship and found a few young talls, but 3 wins for the year is not good
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Big diference is he went away and served a healthy apprenticeship away from the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the combination of no apprenticeship and being a club great is disastrous.

As much as nostalgia would make me want Leon Cameron or Scotty West as head coach of the doggies I am glad the club hasn't gone this way.

Post Thanks / Like

With the exception of a new contract extension, can we call this previous fad officially a failure now?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. Bucks on track for taking Collingwood backwards in every year he's been senior coach. Lucky Eddie loves him, if his name was Neeld, McCartney or Watters he'd be long gone and thus this former player hero at a club cum senior coach would be dusted. Leppa too, although not a hero is showing just because you played well at a club doesn't make you a remotely decent senior coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. Bucks on track for taking Collingwood backwards in every year he's been senior coach. Lucky Eddie loves him, if his name was Neeld, McCartney or Watters he'd be long gone and thus this former player hero at a club cum senior coach would be dusted. Leppa too, although not a hero is showing just because you played well at a club doesn't make you a remotely decent senior coach.
    Is the issue the coach or the list management. Perhaps it is a combination of both. Buckley has brought in a lot of players from other clubs and they do not appear to be providing enough for the assets traded to get them. Has Bucks had too much influence on the personnel recruited?

For Leppa, I think there are deeper issues at the club. However, he certainly has not been able to get any spirit into the group and they seem to have lost their way badly. He simply cannot continue and it is obvious from his demeanour that he knows that as well.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if Buckley gets the best out of his group consistently enough to be a successful coach.
    They're an averaged skills team and are scored against to often.
    Treloar is a gun as is Pendles, but there are some players in that side who can't kick .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Not sure if Buckley gets the best out of his group consistently enough to be a successful coach.
    They're an averaged skills team and are scored against to often.
    Treloar is a gun as is Pendles, but there are some players in that side who can't kick .
    I don't think Pendles is a good as he was a few years ago.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

With respect, club B&F, 3 x premiership and 3 x All Australian as a defender around the premiership years probably makes him a hero. In the truest sense of the word, the guy was an absolute gun and massive reason why the Lions were so good once he was moved to defence.

All that aside, his ability to coach or otherwise is almost irrelevant. The Brisbane Lions are probably the least progressive club in the AFL with a dipshit (good footballer and good commentator sometimes) leading it at board level and a culture that has proven irrespective of success mergers are not effective, given you can't be half baked with your supporter base when you're losing (just wait until Hawthorn are shit for five years in a row and see how Launceston reacts - it'll happen).

They are vanilla, they are only in the competition to fill out the numbers for TV rights just like GCS. The AFL has created an almighty cluster*!*!*!*! for itself in Queensland, and there's no way it can be salvaged from this point. Though that's not to say they won't try at the expense of clubs like ours.

All of these issues mean that he's doomed irrespective of his ability. The media is onto them now, his board will sacrifice him to save itself because that's what incompetent people do when they have a gravy train to maintain.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Is the issue the coach or the list management. Perhaps it is a combination of both. Buckley has brought in a lot of players from other clubs and they do not appear to be providing enough for the assets traded to get them. Has Bucks had too much influence on the personnel recruited?

For Leppa, I think there are deeper issues at the club. However, he certainly has not been able to get any spirit into the group and they seem to have lost their way badly. He simply cannot continue and it is obvious from his demeanour that he knows that as well.
    Their footy and recruiting departments both seem to be peopled by club stalwarts and good ole boys. They don't seem to have a narrative to their recruiting. Did they need Howe or did they just recruit him because he was available?

He is one of many fairly ordinary players given spots on their list that could have gone to a development player. I know you have to have experienced players but Howe is a yahoo show pony. What example does he set? Take a couple of hangers a week and you can have a ten year career.

They have fallen down the ladder each of the last three years but have continued to get cherry on the top players not hard nosed professionals to set standards. They haven't come close to rock bottom yet.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Has it worked since John Coleman or Dick Reynolds? As in, since money played a far greater role than tactical acumen?

People always point to Leigh Matthews, but he never played for Collingwood. Blight was terrible as Norf coach and never played at Geelong. Robbie Walls cut his teeth and proved himself a good coach at Fitzroy prior to getting the Carlton gig. Paul Roos, perhaps? However I wouldn't call him a Swans champion.. He was a solid Swans player who'd been a gun a Fitzroy. On Worsfold, the jury's out on him, for mine. He won one flag with what I think was the best midfield ive ever seen, should have won 3-4 flags with the squad he had, yet managed to match his flag with a wooden spoon... Maybe David Parkin at Hawthorn, but I think Parkin was a solid leader of men more so than a champion player.. Come to think of it, so was Worsfold..

There are reasons why Doug Hawkins or Simon Beasley never coached the Dogs... There are reasons why Clarkson coaches Hawthorn rather than Dermie, Dipper or Crawford.

Malthouse, Hafey, Clarkson, Sheedy, Pagan, Jeans, Beveridge were never anything other than solid contributors (slightly harsh on Sheedy - who did climb out of the back pocket for a period of his career and become a decent midfielder), whilst James Hird, Tim Watson, Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss, Royce Hart etc etc were very limited coaches.

Whenever a club appoints a past champion, I pencil them in for a huge let down. When Essendon appointed Hird, I told every Bombers fan I knew that it was a mistake... However not even in my wildest dreams did I imagine it'd be such a spectacular catastrophe...

I really feel for them..!
    Last edited by Webby; 23-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So eloquently put Webby. When I grow up I will post like this on this topic. It's exactly the reason that clubs should be more than reluctant to follow this path in the future, there's not much success. A Brownlow means nothing for future coaching ability, see Voss, Hird & Buckley.