Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Back pockets who worked hard have good records as coaches .. I tend to think it's because they weren't gifted and realise hard work and using your brains kept you in the Game an never take anything for granted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Back pockets who worked hard have good records as coaches .. I tend to think it's because they weren't gifted and realise hard work and using your brains kept you in the Game an never take anything for granted.
    And as players it's their job to stand on the last line of defence and watch the game unfold in front of them and try and anticipate how to turn it around. Centres used to make good coaches as well but we don't really have them anymore.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Voss, Hird & Buckley ushered in this so called 'untried coaches' era where the media were talking about how the need to have a good apprenticeship as an assistant coach was no longer needed to be a senior AFL coach.

Voss ended bad.
    Hird will end worse.
    Buckley has taken a very good team, lost some oldies but got a heap of talent and club support. Gone backwards again this year, honourable or not. Will be probably hurt their club the most.

Is it too early to say this theory is shot to hell and back?

I actually think Buckley has been very good as a coach and his pathway to the position was a decent one. Unfortunately for him he's inherited a average list and I don't think they are as good as the media credit them form. Simply speaking their recruiting hasn't been great.

Voss wasn't great but wasn't bad either. Hird spent the season prior to him taking the reigns at Essendon systematically knifing Matthew Knights which wasn't an ideal lead up to the role.

To answer the OP question, Ideally all coaches do a decent apprenticeship as an assistant but I still think there could be some exceptions if things are planned correctly. It's probably more unlikely than likely now but I'm sure some club will risk it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Buckley will be protected with 'valiant' losses for the time being, but I can't wait for the last one to fall. All of Hird (tried to bring down a 'big' club, drugs and media circus, and couldn't coach), Voss (Took over a gun side, Fevola..., killing the culture & couldnt coach) and Buckley (took over a young gun side, gutted it, killed the culture, brought in average and let mature players go & couldnt coach) have taken their big/successful clubs to absolute oblivion. I can't believe the three clubs board/president thought the head coaching prerequisite was being a good player, and in two cases, sacking/forcing out the incumbent.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

From the 2010 Premiership side (don't forget that when saying he inherited a bad side), 8 players have left for other clubs. To me this, combined with general observation of Buckley's attitude, shows just how poorly he communicates and manages his players. I feel that he would very quickly write people off.

Bringing in Howe, Wells, Mayne, Greenwood, Jesse White, Dunn, Crisp is not a sign of a club with a clear plan. Adams and Treloar are on a different level, but it could easily be argued that they overpaid for them.

My money is on round 4 for the first "Bucks needs to go" headline and the axe to fall by round 8.
    Swans, Saints, Bombers, Cats, Blues, GWS, Hawks between now and then. Hope the Blues win.

6. Likes GVGjr, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    From the 2010 Premiership side (don't forget that when saying he inherited a bad side), 8 players have left for other clubs. To me this, combined with general observation of Buckley's attitude, shows just how poorly he communicates and manages his players. I feel that he would very quickly write people off.

Bringing in Howe, Wells, Mayne, Greenwood, Jesse White, Dunn, Crisp is not a sign of a club with a clear plan. Adams and Treloar are on a different level, but it could easily be argued that they overpaid for them.

My money is on round 4 for the first "Bucks needs to go" headline and the axe to fall by round 8.
    Swans, Saints, Bombers, Cats, Blues, GWS, Hawks between now and then. Hope the Blues win.
    You can't always bring in A grade talent like Adams and Treloar but I think the thing that has and will hurt Collingwood and Buckley is the price they have paid for the non A Graders like Mayne, Wells and Greenwood. In fairness to Wells he was probably close to being an A Grader except for the injuries. Mayne missed an easy shot lost night and it hurt the Pies. He will miss more as well.

The brand of footy they play is OK but the skill level by many of the players isn't where it needs to be.

Buckley might be the fall guy for all this but the recruiting hasn't been good enough and some of the players they have acquired from other won't be enough to make them a very competitive side.

Post Thanks / Like

Wells is close to an A grader when fit but even if fit he is 32 years old. Really bizarre signing for a club clearly not in the "premiership window"

Post Thanks / Like

What I know about Buckley is he sets very high standards for players and expects them to be totally professional in their football life , on and off the field and meet those standards, just like when he played.

He did get rid of a group of players that he felt were disrupting the culture that he was trying to create. I know nothing about what those players were like, but they certainly got away with stuff under Malthouse, who didn't seem to care that much as long as they played good football.

Whether Buckley has the personality to pull off what he wants the players to do is another thing, as coaching is not just teaching football, but there is the management of a variety of personalities. He was always a very smart footballer and he no doubt knows how to coach and has a game plan he wants to instill into the players. However, he is not getting the best out of his players as many of them are just not good enough to pull off what Buckley wants.

I can't see him lasting the year out, but one never knows.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Wells is close to an A grader when fit but even if fit he is 32 years old. Really bizarre signing for a club clearly not in the "premiership window"

He's the sort of player the Collingwood Army demand the club sign though. If they had the opportunity to have signed someone less high profile that could have done the job cheaper I think they still would have gone with Wells because he gets them more column inches.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You can't always bring in A grade talent like Adams and Treloar but I think the thing that has and will hurt Collingwood and Buckley is the price they have paid for the non A Graders like Mayne, Wells and Greenwood. In fairness to Wells he was probably close to being an A Grader except for the injuries. Mayne missed an easy shot lost night and it hurt the Pies. He will miss more as well.

The brand of footy they play is OK but the skill level by many of the players isn't where it needs to be.

Buckley might be the fall guy for all this but the recruiting hasn't been good enough and some of the players they have acquired from other won't be enough to make them a very competitive side.
    While their recruiting can be challenged, the question is how much has Buckley influenced the recruiting choices.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While their recruiting can be challenged, the question is how much has Buckley influenced the recruiting choices.
    What I heard on Fox footy was that Gubby Allan signed both Mayne and Wells before he departed with not a lot of input from Buckley

Post Thanks / Like

1-4 with their only win by a single point. How does Eddie pull the trigger? Unofficially ask Bucks to offer the board a resignation, which it with heavy heart accepts, sack him, let him 'coach*' the year out?

*By coach I mean sit in the coaches box and oversee a heap of talented players lose worse year on year.

Side note, Moore as the key target and Cox floating around isn't any good. If only they didn't marginalise Trav and then use that cash on Mayne. Things are going to get really bad for them this year, I reckon the only thing that can help it turn around sooner is Buckley gone ASAP.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be making the change on Buckley if I was Eddie unless Bucks initiates it. The problem for Eddie is if they appoint an interim coach and he does OK then it's significantly harder to replace them when they start the search for a new coach.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd have to think Eddie is having a big crack at Clarko behind the scenes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wouldn't be making the change on Buckley if I was Eddie unless Bucks initiates it. The problem for Eddie is if they appoint an interim coach and he does OK then it's significantly harder to replace them when they start the search for a new coach.
    I call this the Rohde effect