Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Forward Line

Now that we have a good idea at who will be at the club we can figure out who will make the most talked about forward line in the AFL over the last 3 years. I think it will be roughly

HF: Acker Murph Higgins
    F: Johnno Welsh Hahn

Reserves: Skipper/Tiller/Grant/Doogs/Minson/Cooney(pinch hitter)

Any thoughts/improvements

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Forward Line

Pretty short IMO - would like to see Skipper or Minson in there, but have no great confidence in either.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good, I'd swap Murph and Welsh around and also swap Aker and Johnno around, maybe Gia in for Hahn, but Mitch does add that extra bit of grunt which makes up for lack of height. You talked about how it has been the most talked about forward line of the past three years, well how about how it will look in three years time. Going on current players this would be mine:

Lynch - Grant - Johnson
    Ward - Williams - Murphy

When I saw Lynch play down in Canberra I was very impressed, he showed some great ball skill and pace and I think that of the indigenous blokes taken in the 2006 draft, he is most likely to succeed in three years time (needs to put on a lot of weight though). Grant is probably expected to move into the forward line sometime in the next three years where he will hopefully occupy a key forward position with great success. I would certainly expect Johnno to still be going in three years - he is ultra durable. Ward could play anywhere, but I think he is probably best suited to a half forward spot, what a talent he looks! Would like to see TomaWill move to the forward line, and it looks quite possible if OShea and Wight continue to develop. Murph will probably be in the prime of his career in the next three years and he occupies the last, half forward position.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

This year:
    much the same as yours hujsh, but just a few spots changed.
    FF: Higgins Welsh Johnson
    HF: Giansiracusa Murphy Hahn

I think Tiller will battle to get one game next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    This year:

What makes you say that? I thought he showed very promising signs toward the end of last season when he was finally injury free. If he adds weight in the pre season i belive he will continue to improve and develop into a decent forward for us. All he needs is gametime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    This year:

Would hope that Higgins improves his fitness such that he is able to play up the ground a little more next season.

Agree with borgy that Tiller will be a factor next year, because he has to. We need to continue his development so that come 2009 he is our starting FF. I hope that he plays atleast 10 games next year.

Post Thanks / Like

should we be including welsh when he isnt even on our list yet?

I hope we do get him, but its not set in stone just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    What makes you say that? I thought he showed very promising signs toward the end of last season when he was finally injury free. If he adds weight in the pre season i belive he will continue to improve and develop into a decent forward for us. All he needs is gametime.
    he needs to bulk up considerably,

i'd be surprised if he gets more than a few games to be honest,

will be interesting to see how he performs at willy, as he couldn't get a game in the werribee 1's with pods there. (not that he did anything much in the reserves to warrant a spot either)

His promotion to the dogs was very unexpected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

will be interesting to see how he performs at willy, as he couldn't get a game in the werribee 1's with pods there. (not that he did anything much in the reserves to warrant a spot either)

Agreed, he's more of a longer term prospect, but should still be aiming to play a handful+ of games, depending on injuries etc.

I really like Tiller, his frame to me, shouts out that it can be developed and become very strong. He is good below the knees, works hard presenting, and has crisp hands. Decent pace of the mark too, although not outstanding. I think he could develop into a real power forward, given another year or 2.

A lot of it depends on how hard Stephen works in the gym. (And from most accounts, he is a pretty hard worker in there).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

His promotion was unexpected but now that he has the taste of what AFL is like, he can work on his areas that need improvement throughout the pre season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    should we be including welsh when he isnt even on our list yet?

I hope we do get him, but its not set in stone just yet.
    We may as well. No one else has put their hand up yet. Tigers and Blues will look different players and Melbourne don't seem to be interested
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my attempt:

HF: Everitt (193cm) Murphy (186) Hahn (189)
    FF: Johnson (185) Walsh (186?) Tiller (191)

I think we need a total change. I read Everitt's profile on the dogs website and it said that they hoped to dev. him into a tall forward.

Tiller needs more game time so im happy to start him in a pocket.

Other contenders for a flank were Aker, Higgo and Gia but i would like them all to spend more time in the midfield and only to play forward when resting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Here's my attempt:

HF: Everitt (193cm) Murphy (186) Hahn (189)
    FF: Johnson (185) Walsh (186?) Tiller (191)

I think we need a total change. I read Everitt's profile on the dogs website and it said that they hoped to dev. him into a tall forward.

Tiller needs more game time so im happy to start him in a pocket.

Other contenders for a flank were Aker, Higgo and Gia but i would like them all to spend more time in the midfield and only to play forward when resting.
    How are you going to fit these guys in the midfield on top of Cooney, Cross, Boyd, etc.. I would have thought that atleast 2 of them have to play in the forwardline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How are you going to fit these guys in the midfield on top of Cooney, Cross, Boyd, etc.. I would have thought that atleast 2 of them have to play in the forwardline.
    I did think of that along with the midfield rotation where a couple of them sit in the pocket or on a flank. Im sure something could be sorted out with a bit more thought.

Post Thanks / Like

In the pre season I would like to see the club try something like

Murphy - Wight - Akermanis
    Johnson - Welsh - Everitt
    Bulldog Pride will never die