Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  531
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Talia

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michael Talia

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    To me this is his glaring flaw. He doesn't seem to have any idea where the ball's going in flight which means he's totally reliant on his opponent to give him a guide as to where to position himself. It's why he's always watching his opponent in a one on one and seems a few steps behind and off balance. It's also why he so often goes 3rd man up and completely misses the ball with his spoil. It's a massive problem for an aspiring AFL key position player to try to overcome.
    I totally agree, I think he gets completely lost when he has to look at both his opponent and the ball coming in. Seems to get caught in two minds and react very slowly if one of the variables change.

He has also been poor when deciding to run off his man when a long ball is coming in, thinking he can intercept or spoil as the 3rd man up but totally misreading where the ball is coming in and the time it takes him to get there. I've seen him try to do this and still be running in 10 metres from the contest, while leaving his man running back to the goal square for an easy goal on a couple of occasions.

I think he does a few things ok but he has these few weaknesses which are huge for a defender and I don't think any amount of coaching can teach a player to have awareness like an Easton Wood or Bob Murphy.

Post Thanks / Like

To me this is his glaring flaw. He doesn't seem to have any idea where the ball's going in flight which means he's totally reliant on his opponent to give him a guide as to where to position himself. It's why he's always watching his opponent in a one on one and seems a few steps behind and off balance. It's also why he so often goes 3rd man up and completely misses the ball with his spoil. It's a massive problem for an aspiring AFL key position player to try to overcome.
    Agreed, this frustrates me no end. He gives away so many free kicks because he focuses on his opponent rather than the flight of the ball.

In a weird way, Talia has done well to date given the extreme limitations in his game. Our injuries have helped, but for mine, having had a good look at him this year I'd persist elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Only one question remains. Can he be trained to overcome his deficiencies? Lord knows we persisted long enough with Jarrad Grant. Surely we should give Talia some patience. Is Scarlett still doing any coaching with us?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Only one question remains. Can he be trained to overcome his deficiencies? Lord knows we persisted long enough with Jarrad Grant. Surely we should give Talia some patience. Is Scarlett still doing any coaching with us?
    Agreed.

His game needs significant work and I'm personally terrified every time he's caught in a 1-on-1 at the moment, but he's all of 22 years old and played just 30 games of footy.

How many key position defenders going round were fully formed at that stage in their careers?

Hopefully, every touch up he gets is a lesson. I'd back our current coaching group to get him where we need him to be.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No he's finished. He's 22 years of age and should learnt his craft and developed peak strength by this time.

Sorry for the sarcasm after a geniune question but bloody hell some supporters just have no patienece. I'd be really disappointed if we lost him at the end of season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    No he's finished. He's 22 years of age and should learnt his craft and developed peak strength by this time.

Sorry for the sarcasm after a geniune question but bloody hell some supporters just have no patienece. I'd be really disappointed if we lost him at the end of season.
    Tom Mcdonald is 22 and has been carrying his team's defence for two years. Daniel Talia is 23 and has been carrying his team for 3 seasons. Alex Rance was considered a slow developer and was unlucky to miss the All Australia squad at 22.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on his attitude. Sherman, Everitt, both could have been good players with us but didn't tow the line ( at least, that's my perception, am I wrong? ). He might have the body and athleticism, but not the application to basics. Only time will tell.

From some of the petulant acts that gifted 50m penalties, I am assuming he is a little immature. Is this a valid observation?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on his attitude. Sherman, Everitt, both could have been good players with us but didn't tow the line ( at least, that's my perception, am I wrong? ). He might have the body and athleticism, but not the application to basics. Only time will tell.

From some of the petulant acts that gifted 50m penalties, I am assuming he is a little immature. Is this a valid observation?
    Yeah I sense that as well and habits can be broken. I still think he can be a decent backman in this league and we're not really in a position to just throw away KPD's especially when ours first string guys struggle to stay on the park.

Post Thanks / Like

From injury news:

Fellow defender Michael Talia rolled his ankle against the Eagles, but managed to play out the match.
    “Michael rolled his ankle during the game, he played out the game and we just want to make sure we give him every opportunity we can to present himself to make himself available to play this week, so we’re just managing him in the right ways.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Mcdonald is 22 and has been carrying his team's defence for two years. Daniel Talia is 23 and has been carrying his team for 3 seasons. Alex Rance was considered a slow developer and was unlucky to miss the All Australia squad at 22.
    Jake Lever also goes alright for a first-year player coming off a knee reco last year.

Post Thanks / Like

David King just outed Talia from the weekend on 360. Pretty scathing and honest assessment of where Talia is and that he will probably get dropped this week according to Kingy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    David King just outed Talia from the weekend on 360. Pretty scathing and honest assessment of where Talia is and that he will probably get dropped this week according to Kingy.
    Spot on to.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great piece of footage indeed. My other concern is the amount of times he spoils his own player when going third up.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rolled ankle will also contribute.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rolled ankle will also contribute.
    Yeah fair play from our supporters on the day, though I still think Hamling was just as bad, but given we have since put him on the injury list as rolling an ankle during the game it seems harsh for them to get stuck in now
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff