Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  65
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silly Season (post home and away season trade period) suggestions.

David Astbury would be a great fit for us as a key defender (195cm 24 years old). Can't get a game in front of Rance and Chaplain at Richmond but is highly rated. Brisbane are apparently into him but Richmond's asking price is high for a bloke who has only played 41 games in 6 years.

Richmond has indicated to the Lions it will consider trading key defender David Astbury to the Gabba, but only for (a) pick No.21 on its own; or (b) pick No.17, with the Tigers to pass No.31 back to the Lions.
    Any way we could get involved here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Minson first preference and Campbell if his form warrants it. We can't play both ruckman
    I just don't see the point of playing Minson.. He clearly isn't suited to our style of play and I can't see this improving magically over this pre-season.

Obviously a bit to play out with how we use Roughead, but it really is time for Campbell to step-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I just don't see the point of playing Minson.. He clearly isn't suited to our style of play and I can't see this improving magically over this pre-season.

Obviously a bit to play out with how we use Roughead, but it really is time for Campbell to step-up.
    I'd pick the player who's in form, it wouldn't worry me if it as Minson or Campbell
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace believes Lobbe faces a reduced role unless some of the Essendon players they have get suspended

Former Bulldogs and Richmond coach Terry Wallace, who is among the most respected list analysts in the game, feared the recruitment of Dixon would mean Lobbe’s role would be reduced to an insurance policy.

It is believed a big part of hanging on to the former No. 1 ruckman, who was in fine form during coach Ken Hinkley’s first year at the club in 2014, is because of the ongoing WADA investigation into Essendon, which threatens to suspend Port’s former Bombers Angus Monfries and Ryder.
    Ok. It is unlikely that we will get a crack at Lobbe this year then. If Ryder is not suspended then perhaps next year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ok. It is unlikely that we will get a crack at Lobbe this year then. If Ryder is not suspended then perhaps next year.
    I don't quite get that but essentially Plough is saying Lobbe is surplus to Ports needs this year and the only way he will get a lot of game time is if Ryder is suspended for part of the season.

Remember it's just hypothetical scenarios we are throwing up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Just on Campbell, are we satisfied by now he's probably not up to it at this level?

Or is it a textbook case of big blokes generally needing a longer apprenticeship than others as they find ways to influence games more regularly?

Approaching his 5th season and seems he's been around for a while now but Campbell's only 23 years old and has the grand sum of 26 games on his resume. Granted his sample sizes aren't monstrous - and not withstanding the team's general upward trend too - but he saw healthy bumps in both hit-out and disposal averages last season.
    Stefan Martin looked terrible until he was 25 or 26.
    Ruckmen take way longer (which is why they rarely get drafted anymore, especially as 18 year olds)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Just on Campbell, are we satisfied by now he's probably not up to it at this level?

Or is it a textbook case of big blokes generally needing a longer apprenticeship than others as they find ways to influence games more regularly?

Approaching his 5th season and seems he's been around for a while now but Campbell's only 23 years old and has the grand sum of 26 games on his resume. Granted his sample sizes aren't monstrous - and not withstanding the team's general upward trend too - but he saw healthy bumps in both hit-out and disposal averages last season.

We've been a bit spoilt with young player contributions lately but need reliability rather than impact out of Tom. It'll be a critical year for him.
    I'm more than happy with Campbell. If he improves he can still have a good career.

Post Thanks / Like

On valuing draft picks I just read the following

Under the AFL's new draft value index
    Picks 15 and 18 = 2097 points.
    Pick 5 = 1878 points.

Essendon would get a premium to take the Hawks offer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more than happy with Campbell. If he improves he can still have a good career.
    I tend to agree, I think Tom can make it. He turns 24 next month, so you would like to see him force his way in for more games and more impact next year - but I wouldn't say he has to unequivocally take over the sole 1st ruck role during this next season to be worth his spot on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I tend to agree, I think Tom can make it. He turns 24 next month, so you would like to see him force his way in for more games and more impact next year - but I wouldn't say he has to unequivocally take over the sole 1st ruck role during this next season to be worth his spot on the list.
    I think we are on the same page with TC. I think we have to give him another 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell is still improving and only now getting close to fit enough. I still hold out some hope for Minno too but I reckon he needs to look at losing a lot of weight.

Post Thanks / Like

On valuing draft picks I just read the following

Under the AFL's new draft value index
    Picks 15 and 18 = 2097 points.
    Pick 5 = 1878 points.

Essendon would get a premium to take the Hawks offer.
    Essendon also giving up pick 41 = 412 points in the Hawthorn deal
    If they can get straight pick 5 from St Kilda they're ahead
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Do you feel Campbell is more suited to our style than Minson? I'm not sure he's especially more mobile (but maybe he can be?)

Post Thanks / Like

Just to expand a bit on the teams that need to accumulate points for academy players Jay Clark has tweeted the following

Jay Clark ‏@ClarkyHeraldSun 50m50 minutes ago

GWS pick 8 (1551 points)
    Ess pick 23 (815) & pick 25 (756) = 1571

GWS better off with 23 & 25 to use on academy players.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to expand a bit on the teams that need to accumulate points for academy players Jay Clark has tweeted the following

Jay Clark ‏@ClarkyHeraldSun 50m50 minutes ago

GWS pick 8 (1551 points)
    Ess pick 23 (815) & pick 25 (756) = 1571

GWS better off with 23 & 25 to use on academy players.
    Crazy, that Essendon could be gifted another top 10 pick and GWS sign up players. Surely this wasn't factored into this system?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023