Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  65
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silly Season (post home and away season trade period) suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Jeremy Howe is looking at options, would he be a good get ?
    No NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!

Jeremy Howe - apart from taking screamers - can do stuff all on a footy field. He screams 'Gold Coast Suns acquisition'. Flashy, but no substance as a player. Like Jared Brennan but far less talented.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Seems a flog too. Given minimum salary cap spend he'd have been getting well overs his whole career.
    That's the part I don't get from him. He's been on a good wicket and when he gets to the end of a contract starts putting them to the sword. What Melbourne need is some loyalty from blokes like him. Guys like him also have to realise it's going to take over $1,000,000 a year to keep Hogan and playing alongside a future gun means taking a good offer, not demanding overs with no real runs in the board. I suppose we are talking about Melbourne and their 'culture'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting times, Jack Watts might be on the move too, wouldn't fit in our team at all, not the kind to tackle.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Also Jack Watts not asssured to be at Melbourne as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's the part I don't get from him. He's been on a good wicket and when he gets to the end of a contract starts putting them to the sword. What Melbourne need is some loyalty from blokes like him. Guys like him also have to realise it's going to take over $1,000,000 a year to keep Hogan and playing alongside a future gun means taking a good offer, not demanding overs with no real runs in the board. I suppose we are talking about Melbourne and their 'culture'.
    He's probably been getting stupid money his whole career, with a bit extra for being the only reason some Melbourne supporters bother going to a game, and thinks that's just the norm. Players who've been at Melbourne the last decade would have a warped view on what being an AFL player means I'd suspect.

Agree on GC. It's a club where culture, work ethic, and competitiveness are irrelevant if you look like you've got talent, they'll probably be all over him.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

6. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's probably been getting stupid money his whole career, with a bit extra for being the only reason some Melbourne supporters bother going to a game, and thinks that's just the norm. Players who've been at Melbourne the last decade would have a warped view on what being an AFL player means I'd suspect.

Agree on GC. It's a club where culture, work ethic, and competitiveness are irrelevant if you look like you've got talent, they'll probably be all over him.
    You've no doubt been a part of modern culture nonsense in a big organisation. I'm not sure how they can turn this around at all anymore. Softer coach. Angry knob coach. Roos... Lots of picks. Lots of picks. Favourable trading. Millions of cash. If Hogan leaves then Jackson should walk out of the club and leave the keys at the door for the builders to come in and strip the building to sell scrap metal to recoup costs. Trading Salem, Watts, Toumpas is not going to fix anything really and is an indictment on their drafting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

You've no doubt been a part of modern culture nonsense in a big organisation. I'm not sure how they can turn this around at all anymore. Softer coach. Angry knob coach. Roos... Lots of picks. Lots of picks. Favourable trading. Millions of cash. If Hogan leaves then Jackson should walk out of the club and leave the keys at the door for the builders to come in and strip the building to sell scrap metal to recoup costs. Trading Salem, Watts, Toumpas is not going to fix anything really and is an indictment on their drafting.
    More on their development abd culture than drafting I would think.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It's incredibly hard to turn around, the biggest mistake is looking for a saviour. You need to clearly define what you want the organisation to be, establish an expectation of people, and reward those who live the organisations values. If I were running Melbourne I would put a people lens on everything the club does over the next 3 years and reward good behaviours and attitude above all else. Recruit competitiveness and character over pure talent (obviously within reason), make selection about effort, competitiveness, and adherence to to team structure, and leave talented players that don't set the example for what the clubs expects to rot the VFL and progressively move them on. E.g. Watts, Howe, Toumpass etc would be VFL regulars and out the door this season, Cross would be retained, and honest fringe types would be automatic best 22.

Rather than trying to pinch wins while showing recruits the wrong way to be an AFL player, I would set the foundations of what is expected, and accept that they're going to be bottom for a couple more years. The problem is Roos' ego won't allow that. So they're just playing to minimize damage in losses, hoping to steal a few wins, and ensuring the stay stuck in the mire of bottom 6 while not improving the club at all.

10. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember a more vastly overrated footballer in my time.

If he didn't take hangers as regularly as he did he wouldn't be close to getting a senior game.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a flog too. Given minimum salary cap spend he'd have been getting well overs his whole career.

Yep. He seems like a flog to me too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

So Stache, BMAC to be coach or footy manager at the dees to set those benchmarks?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So Stache, BMAC to be coach or footy manager at the dees to set those benchmarks?
    I'll be howled down, but I would. It would have to be as head coach, Roos would have to go, and it would need to be with full support from the board and football department for 3 years. Let him remodel their recruiting, strip back their game plan, and work with the players that have the desire to make the grade. If he got a few comfortable senior players noses out of joint that could only be a good thing too.

They're going to be a rabble for another 3 years anyway you'd think, so they may as well invest those 3 years in getting their basics right. After 3 years you would then bring in a tactician style coach and make McCartney either a development coach or move him on depending on his relationships with the players.

15. Likes SlimPickens, azabob, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be howled down, but I would. It would have to be as head coach, Roos would have to go, and it would need to be with full support from the board and football department for 3 years. Let him remodel their recruiting, strip back their game plan, and work with the players that have the desire to make the grade. If he got a few comfortable senior players noses out of joint that could only be a good thing too.

They're going to be a rabble for another 3 years anyway you'd think, so they may as well invest those 3 years in getting their basics right. After 3 years you would then bring in a tactician style coach and make McCartney either a development coach or move him on depending on his relationships with the players.
    They simply can't be - surely there is enough sheer talent on their list already, which will only improve in the next couple of years. I think Roos has been the problem for Melbourne in the last 2 years - he has sucked all the instinct and flair out of that team with a game plan that is years outdated. On talent alone, they win 10-12 games this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion: IF Talia wants out to Sydney, although the $350,000 thingy is still in place.

Sydney Give: Pick 16-18 To Dogs.
    Dogs Give: Talia and Pick 30.

Dogs get 11 and 16-18. Draft or trade. Frees up a spot for a ruckman to join us.

.??

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have their heads around the Swans academy players and the bidding system surrounding them?

Could Talia factor here (though I still think he'll end up in Adelaide)?