Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to officially scrap sub rule and slash number of rotations in bid to reduce on-field congestion

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The idea behind the interchange cap and the removal of the sub is geared towards encouraging higher scoring. I'm not sure this will be the outcome.

Coaches - Bevo and Clarkson plus a few others aside - are inherently defensive and will be more inclined to sit fatigued players behind the ball rather than let the game be a free flowing and high scoring one. I fear that with a cap on interchange we will get all of the defensive components of our current state of play, but lose much of the slinging forward on the counter attack only non-fatigued players can deliver regularly.

I could be wrong, but as a guide I usually back the AFL to receive the precise opposite result than the one intended when they tinker with the rules.
    I think the main defensive part of the game at present the AFL is trying to address is the ability of 10 or more players from each team to charge manically from contest to contest, and then resting after each 5 or 6 minute ballistic burst.

This creates the blocked up, high stoppages, 'rolling maul' effect that stinks up so many games.

I generally concur with the broad concept that the game is less attractive when the midfielders/runners are able to rest up every few minutes. When unlimited interchange was first introduced in the late 70s/early 80s, I am sure the rulemakers of the time had little idea what it would lead to and would've thought twice had they have known.

Whether these current changes result in the desired outcomes remains to be seen, no doubt there will be unforseen consequences.

On face value, I'm happy to give it a chance as a step in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to officially scrap sub rule and slash number of rotations in bid to reduce on-field congestion

Another effect the sub cap will have is that coaches will not be able to send players to the bench after kicking a goal.

Going to really miss that one...
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's only a practice game, but on viewing Thursday's game, one thing that struck me is that, with midfielders getting rotated forward more, it meant that players like Hrovat and Daniel got more time through the middle and really benefitted for it.

Bevo's desire to have a team of versatile, interchangeable parts looks to fit in well with the new rule. Other teams may struggle more when players need to move from their preferred position.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the return of the resting ruckman in a forward line will happen. Bevo has already mentioned in the article above that there will be the possibility of playing an extra tall forward. This means Roughy can play on the resting rucks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.