Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    TheHunter7 Guest

Why arent we playing Tom Boyd?

I think Redpath has been doing quite well the last few weeks, but surely Boyd is our future and a stronger candidate shouldnt he get another crack before finals at least?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why arent we playing Tom Boyd?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunter7 View Post
    I think Redpath has been doing quite well the last few weeks, but surely Boyd is our future and a stronger candidate shouldnt he get another crack before finals at least?
    Given he hasn't been selected this week he won't get a crack before the finals. I don't quite understand why Redpath is ahead of him because I think Boyd is a better forward and a fair bit better when asked to do some ruck work.

It's a good question you pose and I'm sure there will be a number of different opinions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd clearly is the future. But suddenly and probably unexpectedly, as the season has unfolded we've clearly got 'the now' to plan for. Based on Tom's output to date he is clearly in a development phase both body wise and footy wise. I think right now with the opportunity that our club has finals wise our selections are about what is going to allow us to best capitalise on this chance. Tom probably isn't able to perform the role that Bevo thinks is necessary to the team's fortunes right now is my guess

Post Thanks / Like

Because he's shite.

With Loving Hate & Yours Truly,

Leigh Matthews.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Sedat, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 theories, not sure of either:
    - TB has been given specific issues to work on at Footscray and yet to convince MC he has addressed them.
    - Has been kept fresh to be impact, x-factor type for finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. Think it is more about structure. Don't see it being on form as Redpath has only been average, however it appears that he plays further up the ground allowing for more space in our forward line for the likes of Stringer, Crameri, Dickson and some of our smaller brigade to run into.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I heard Bevo say he would bring Tom into the seniors for the North match. It was in the week leading up to the West Coast game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

TheHunter7 Guest

I don't wanna tread on the toes of the Best 22 forum, but I believe Tom Boyd is in our best 22. I do like your idea that we are keeping him as a wildcard for finals, however I would've liked to see him get quality first grade game time against the Lions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    2 theories, not sure of either:
    - TB has been given specific issues to work on at Footscray and yet to convince MC he has addressed them.
    - Has been kept fresh to be impact, x-factor type for finals.
    Good point, though I'm leaning towards your first theory.

I just think his lack of fitness is holding him back. He seems to have gotten bulkier as the year has progressed.

In a fast, gruelling final, I fear he'd blow up and leave us a man down.

Really needs a huge pre-season and develop a decent tank. Then we've got a monster on our hands.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good point, though I'm leaning towards your first theory.

I just think his lack of fitness is holding him back. He seems to have gotten bulkier as the year has progressed.

In a fast, gruelling final, I fear he'd blow up and leave us a man down.

Really needs a huge pre-season and develop a decent tank. Then we've got a monster on our hands.
    Really does need to wear out a few pairs of sneakers this summer.

Also suspect there's a bit of chemistry between Redpath/Stringer/Crameri. Not that you'd want a key defender to get it 20 more times than your key forward, but I'm guessing they're taking a 'it's working' view for now.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hopeful we'll bring Boyd into the side next week 'fresh'.

My main concern with Redpath is that he's a poor mark AND gets outmarked. Boyd is a better mark and rarely is actually outmarked. Their ruck work is probably similar, Redpath a slight edge on fitness.

I really don't think we can go into a final with Redpath getting outmarked so often, which happens time and again against decent opponents. If finals are played true to form, there will be more long kicks into F50 and we need somebody who at the very least brings it to his feet (Boyd).

13. Likes Sedat, 1eyedog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd's issue is he's a bit unfit at present, and with the game just about to get a lot quicker he's going to become a greater liability than he was mid season when he was getting regular games.

I have very little doubt that if he was fitter he'd be playing ahead of Redpath, but he isn't and it's not likely we'll see him again this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I have very little doubt that if he was fitter he'd be playing ahead of Redpath, but he isn't and it's not likely we'll see him again this year.
    Agreed. If Boyd was in finals contention he would be playing this week. The coach obviously likes what Redpath is able to do. And more importantly, our forward line has done great things with this current structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm hopeful we'll bring Boyd into the side next week 'fresh'.

My main concern with Redpath is that he's a poor mark AND gets outmarked. Boyd is a better mark and rarely is actually outmarked. Their ruck work is probably similar, Redpath a slight edge on fitness.

I really don't think we can go into a final with Redpath getting outmarked so often, which happens time and again against decent opponents. If finals are played true to form, there will be more long kicks into F50 and we need somebody who at the very least brings it to his feet (Boyd).
    Yep, Redders can be a little on the Liam Jones side with his leading patterns. Someone like Rance would have a field day.

That's why I'm bullish on Boyd. NO ONE out marks him. Ever.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Boyd's issue is he's a bit unfit at present, and with the game just about to get a lot quicker he's going to become a greater liability than he was mid season when he was getting regular games.

Is Redpath really that much fitter though? I think Boyd's game is a bit ahead of big Jack's in all areas with the exception of fitness. I'd hate to see us "clogged up" in week 1 of the finals, with Redpath getting outmarked and ran off at will. I feel much more confident that Boyd will mark it/bring it the front.