Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eagleton - In 2007 is his spot is in jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How do you rate the players? 1= best and so on.

If so this system may be a little flawed as you may have Hudson at 10 and Minson, Street outside the top 25, but in reality we will play 2 ruckman. Ranking the players this way doesn't take into account team balance.
    Actually Eagleton was the only player I gave a ranking.

I did my best 22 and he was left over (even though I thought he deserved a spot).

Harbrow_hero Guest

hes not my fav player but he'd make the 22 for the 1st round.Maybe not by round 22

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I wouldnt have him in my 22. He has NO defensive side. Doesnt run straight at the ball, runs around it to pick it up. Cant lay a tackle,and can be indecisive going fwd.

If he couldnt kick 50+ on his raking left foot he wouldnt play much this year for me.
    I would, because of his ability to finish. We don't have too many guys who can regularly do this. Yes he has off days and probably had a few too many last season, but then he was not alone was he? What he does have though is experience and in a team which has retired almost a thousand games of experience over the last 2 seasons I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this. For me eagle will be an important part of 2008 and probably 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Eagleton suffered a lot because the team wasn't playing well too. I know people say he's a bit of a front runner, but when the team is going well and Eagleton can receive more ball, he has more chances/space/time to do the good things he does so well. When the team wasn't playing as well I dare say Eagleton found it a lot harder to receive the ball in good positions, and obviously a few of the weaknesses in his game came to the forefront.

I tend to agree that he still does give some value, and should play a big part in the 2008 campaign. He will need to work hard though.

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the role he plays is his until someone comes through and knocks him out of it. We need guys who can do what he does and until we have a better option Eagleton will continue to get games and plenty of ground time. The onus is on the young guys coming through to try and push him out of the side.

I do certainly think he will find it tougher and tougher from now on. He may play on the wing alot but he basically just runs straight lines down the ground trying to get on the end of the ball as it comes forward. He is not the type to give an option coming out of defence or push back and plug up a hole. They have tried to use him as a forward occasionally to give him a bit more versatility but apart from a couple of games he struggled in that role. His strength is his ability to gut run to get on the end of handballs or to get into space around half forward and I dont think that has really diminished. What may be slowly leaving him is that extra yard of pace to get enough time and space on his left foot to be as damaging as he once was.

He will hold his place this season espeially early on but he needs to keep performing. He cant just cash in when the team is on fire or Eade will look else where. At the moment the real question is who from outside the current side can do better than he can?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the eagle can keep a spot. He is probably the best attacking wingman we have because of that long kick. He will need more of the ball and more inside 50's this year i reckon.