Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  111
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round EF 2015 - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide Crows

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    To be fair I have raised all of those concerns a few times during this season.

Fully fit Libba and Koby probably complete our midfield, we need Dale (and future draftees) to provide that run on the outside. It's usually the easiest part of the ground to fix though. However, I am worried we may take a few steps backwards if Murph/Morris/Boyd decline. We are pretty bare for defenders of all sorts, with the exception of rebounders.

Anyway, we'll see how the off-season shapes up.
    Dale, Libba, McLean and Stevens will all vie for midfield spots next season and will instantly improve on the team that ran out tonight. Personally, I would love to add Bennell to the mix as his skill set would really complete us.

Murph is irreplaceable, I agree. But Biggs, JJ and Webb have all shown that they can at least provide options off the HBF. I have faith the Z Cordy will slot into Morris' role long term. Boyd's role I'm not overly concerned with.

Key defenders are a worry, but Hamling destroyed Jenkins tonight and Roberts did as well on a rampaging Walker as you could hope. Another big pre-season into both and there should be even more improvement.

The ruck is my biggest area of concern.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Thanks Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I'm heartbroken and proud too. Those set shots we missed were the killer, won every other stat and the effort was A1. Would have loved to have had Eddie Betts on our side too.

Hope the Jongy doubters are swinging around - I thought he was pretty good tonight. That mark is burned into my memory - what a ripper & to convert too. Hamling looked pretty composed out there too.
    I thought he struggled early but came back really well after half time. He seemeed to get the pace of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Our first qtr was just as bad, missed some very gettable goals and conceded some super soft goals.. We led the inside 50's at one stage 15 to 6, but we're behind as we had given up 5 goals... Not good enough.
    This. With the start we had we should of been in front by at least a couple of goals. Instead we let them back in and they kicked 5/ 6 in a row to have a qtr time lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    For me, it's not even about the missed shots in the 1st and 3rd qtr - as annoying and ultimately damaging as they were. It is about lacking composure in critical moments late in finals - the Bont out of bounds and the Crameri fumble/missed handpass from Hunter. Nail these 2 moments, as the players involved should have, and we have a famous finals win. By contrast Walker nailed his key moments - one a set shot and one a beautiful spot-up to Charlie Cameron. We have never nailed the key moments in finals, not in my lifetime anyway. I cling to the hope that one day we'll be on the right side of a Billy Brainless after the siren moment, a Darren Jarman putting us away, a Riewoldt stepping up, a Leigh Matthews bobbing up in crucial moments, and not always on the receiving end of such heartbreaking moments. We've had our chances over the years (as we did tonight) - the Bont/Crameri moments tonight can just be added to the Gilbee miss in 09, the Mark West miss and Grant/Hudson fumbles in 97, the inability to ice 30 seconds off the clock against Geelong in 94, etc...
    I know exactly where you're coming from, I think we all do. But that feeling, that we are cursed as Dogs fans, is deeply ingrained in us as OUR story, it doesn't have to be Bont's story or Jake's story. Maybe it's just that there's no real alternative but to invest hope in these guys and what they can do, but I prefer to think that last nights loss was a series of individual, fixable mistakes that will be eradicated and improved with experience, not the fates laughing at us yet again.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes SonofScray, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I know exactly where you're coming from, I think we all do. But that feeling, that we are cursed as Dogs fans, is deeply ingrained in us as OUR story, it doesn't have to be Bont's story or Jake's story. Maybe it's just that there's no real alternative but to invest hope in these guys and what they can do, but I prefer to think that last nights loss was a series of individual, fixable mistakes that will be eradicated and improved with experience, not the fates laughing at us yet again.
    With the list that we have considering the age and experience profile our focus will be on 2017. I get that we have a history that challenges the spirit of many but I believe our set-up with personnel, both playing and from an administrative perspective, is the best it's ever been and we will get stronger..a lot stronger.

Last night was a hiccup and a bitter pill to swallow in an otherwise hugely positive season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes merantau, bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought the lads played the game really well given the age, build and inexperience of so many. Glad they don't have to put up with being physically assaulted by Hawks next week. They will have learned 1) that any minor skill defect in their game is highlighted mercilessly in finals. Blokes with poor kicking styles turn the ball over or deliver poorly in the cauldron. 2) Finals teach you about composure, decision making and execution under intense pressure. With this final under their belts I'm sure this group will improve and come the next finals appearance they will deliver a more mature, measured performance.
    What I saw last night was a beginning, a bloody good beginning. We are one year into the journey.

10. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I walked out disappointed of course that our season was done, but I steeled myself to NOT do the Bulldog thing of decrying our history and sulking about what could have been for the next 10 years. We performed magnificently, when you take away the skill errors of a team so young. This was a completely different team profile than 2009, than 1997/8. We will learn and be back next year with a vengeance.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night was a great learning experience for the Pups, yes we blew it but we also showed we can perform at the highest level.

Another preseason, a few stars back and hopefully a ruck traded in and we'll be on our way again.

The future has never been brighter. Chin up Doggies fans.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tossed and turned all night, still gutted. I know we're young and the future is bright but can't help thinking what if? We blew a really good opportunity to advance further into the finals and get some more much needed experience. Next year isn't just going to come either. We'll be hunted now and will have to play some tougher teams more than once. A lot of teams will improve and we need to get better or next year we could be on the outside looking in. It's going to be tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I walked out disappointed of course that our season was done, but I steeled myself to NOT do the Bulldog thing of decrying our history and sulking about what could have been for the next 10 years. We performed magnificently, when you take away the skill errors of a team so young. This was a completely different team profile than 2009, than 1997/8. We will learn and be back next year with a vengeance.
    You're a better man than I am BAS

The trouble with us is that there are absolutely no guarantees that we will be back next year. There is much hard work to be done and improvement to be made just to even get to the same position again, let alone jump to the top 4. Our list definitely has this level of improvement in them, but they will be in for a rude shock if they think it will just happen automatically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    You're a better man than I am BAS

The trouble with us is that there are absolutely no guarantees that we will be back next year. There is much hard work to be done and improvement to be made just to even get to the same position again, let alone jump to the top 4. Our list definitely has this level of improvement in them, but they will be in for a rude shock if they think it will just happen automatically.
    Likewise Sedat. We've been on the Premiership Cycle Hamster Wheel for two full revolutions and have just kicked off another. It hurts because it doesn't guarantee you anything, I can't hold on to "we'll be great next year and in 3 years " etc. these guys need to understand that they are good enough NOW! They were good enough yesterday. It's all there at their feet and all that is/was required was to execute. And they didn't. Like their peers in recent history, they didn't take their opportunity and watched as someone else did.

It doesn't take away from he joys I experienced this season courtesy of the coaches and players - full credit to them, but I am tired of that outcome. I want our day in the sun. I want to kick the carcass of a vanquished opponent.

17. Likes G-Mo77, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Tossed and turned all night, still gutted. I know we're young and the future is bright but can't help thinking what if? We blew a really good opportunity to advance further into the finals and get some more much needed experience. Next year isn't just going to come either. We'll be hunted now and will have to play some tougher teams more than once. A lot of teams will improve and we need to get better or next year we could be on the outside looking in. It's going to be tough.
    Same here, I'm on very little sleep. I just couldn't switch off. I haven't been as animated, stressed and red lining watching us in a very long time. I've got to make sure I don't accidentally see any footy shows on TV this morning.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Same here, I'm on very little sleep. I just couldn't switch off. I haven't been as animated, stressed and red lining watching us in a very long time. I've got to make sure I don't accidentally see any footy shows on TV this morning.
    I'm watching Peppa Pig with my son. He said Goo Dawgs this morning when he saw me this morning.

20. Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The time difference has allowed me to drown my sorrows for the last ten hours with absolutely no guilt.

That one is going to stick with me for a while. But as others have said, there is a heck of a lot of improvement in that team. Our best players were Dahl, Bont, Hunter...we lacked composure, we were inaccurate, but we had a team full of guys playing their first final who scored over 100 points and almost beat a red hot Adelaide side. It's coming.

Post Thanks / Like

The loss still bites but I'm a gluten for punishment so I'm off to watch some junior football. I'll keep my cap low and sunnies on...it hides my tears.
    Damn this hayfever
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"