Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  111
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round EF 2015 - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide Crows

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Would love to hear Bevo on what went wrong with our team defence in the last month or so. Big scores against from West Coast, Brisbane and Adelaide. Can't all be personnel. Obviously they found a chink in it that we need to get better at.
    None of those games were at Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been saying "next year" for as long as I've been alive.

Part of me agrees - or at least wants to - but when I watch us lose a big game in the same manner other generations have, and watch Richmond choke again, it can feel as though some sides are destined to fall short when it counts.

Footy can be a strange game and there are many examples where a vicious cycle is so damn difficult to break. History is against us and I hate that last night's game can make me say and believe that.

Until we break this hoodoo, I can't be confident that we can do it.

3. Likes Sedat, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This seasons finals campaign was a learing experience.

No one honestly thought we were winning the flag did they?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

No such thing as history is against us, or hoodoos. The only thing a team can blame is the team itself, right now, today, not some stupid superstition. It boils down to are you good enough or not to win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes chef, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We've been saying "next year" for as long as I've been alive.
    Very few said that last year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes chef, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No such thing as history is against us, or hoodoos. The only thing a team can blame is the team itself, right now, today, not some stupid superstition. It boils down to are you good enough or not to win.
    No such thing as history is against us includes the fact that we haven't been good enough for 60 years or whatever it is, so you best believe it's real, and until we prove we're good enough I'll refrain from saying it for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Very few said that last year.
    It's a figure of speech. Every year we've lost a big game/final we've said "we'll learn from it and be better next year". It's not like we can say anything else, but I'd like it to come to fruition for once.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering where we had come from it was a remarkable year to move from bottom 4 on the ladder to the final 8. The appointments of Beveridge and Murphy were significant as we quickly developed an exciting game plan that gained the Club great respect. Losing our B&F winner Tom Liberatore and then injuries to Stevens and Jong who had started the season very well put enormous pressure on Wallis Picken Bontempelli and Dahlhaus but they all handled the added pressure magnificently. Stringer and Dickson with 50 goals each were outstanding forwards and Crameri after a stint in the VFL returned to be a dangerous forward. An attacking defence became the springboard of many attacks with Easton Wood outstanding together with Murphy Matthew Boyd and Biggs being the stand outs. Lachie Hunter's second half of the season was outstanding regularly gaining 30 plus possessions. Macrae again demonstrated his undoubted class with another fine season. Caleb Daniel became a cult figure in his debut season thrilling fans with his individual skills and passion. We have built a strong foundation for the future with perhaps the most urgent need being a quality ruck man and key forward.

11. Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am proud of the players, I also think we are on the right track and that the future is bright - but I am also dismayed that we, once again, conspired to lose a tight final when we were clearly the better team. It is not some stupid superstition, it is simply an undeniable fact. As a club, we own the patent to the "heartbreaking/gallant finals loss", and it is up to us to rid ourselves of this unwanted tag. We had the chance to do so last night, and only succeeded in reinforcing this historical truism. Doesn't mean we won't be able to shake this tag next year or in the future, but we had the chance and didn't last night. It is gut-wrenching, galling, dismaying, and every time it happens it hurts like hell.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

It's a figure of speech. Every year we've lost a big game/final we've said "we'll learn from it and be better next year". It's not like we can say anything else, but I'd like it to come to fruition for once.
    As would we all... We have no other choice than to wheel out the 'next year' line or we would all be in straight jackets such is the torture we have all been through.

At least we go into this pre-season knowing that we aren't far away.. We couldn't say that this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I, too, am proud of the players, I also think we are on the right track and that the future is bright - but I am also dismayed that we, once again, conspired to lose a tight final when we were clearly the better team. It is not some stupid superstition, it is simply an undeniable fact. As a club, we own the patent to the "heartbreaking/gallant finals loss", and it is up to us to rid ourselves of this unwanted tag. We had the chance to do so last night, and only succeeded in reinforcing this historical truism. Doesn't mean we won't be able to shake this tag next year or in the future, but we had the chance and didn't last night. It is gut-wrenching, galling, dismaying, and every time it happens it hurts like hell.
    The hurt is real with this one.

It would be nice to have won one 'big moment' in a final.. I can't remember it happening in my lifetime.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    As would we all... We have no other choice than to wheel out the 'next year' line or we would all be in straight jackets such is the torture we have all been through.

At least we go into this pre-season knowing that we aren't far away.. We couldn't say that this time last year.
    The good thing is that time is on our side and I am a big fan of Beveridge and his philosophies. If anyone can change our story, it's him and our current batch of young stars.

It will be interesting to see how we attack this off-season from a list management perspective. The reality is every side in the competition has some kind of "hole" or weakness - so what will we deem absolutely necessary to plug, time can only tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The reality is we don't have a complete team, and we never have.

We all know we lacked a KPF 5 or 6 years ago.

Last night we lacked a key defender, a ruck and a KPF.

Its simply never having all the pieces of the puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like

How does everyone view the performance of our leadership group on the day?
    Matty Boyd, Bob Murphy, Dale Morris, Will Minson, Liam Picken and those players over 150 games of experience.

I saw Jake Stringer launch himself into the midfield in the dying minutes of the game, knowing we were lost anyway, and the sight of it moved me. They muck around with that package business, but I am overawed by his heart.
    I thought, mate you are a true champ. I know he didn't have the best day but it's that sort of act that you love to see.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

19. Likes N/A, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to note that our two key defenders have played 30 games between them. The scope for improvement in key defence is therefore huge.

Thought Hamling was superb, and didn't show any noticeable nerves or being overawed. Roberts fought manfully on Tex for most of the game, and was ultimately beaten by one of the stars of the game. Tex is certainly even harder to stop - when his goal kicking range is about 0-65m out from goal!!

21. Likes Mantis, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    How does everyone view the performance of our leadership group on the day?
    Matty Boyd, Bob Murphy, Dale Morris, Will Minson, Liam Picken and those players over 150 games of experience

I saw Jake Stringer launch himself into the midfield in the dying minutes of the game, knowing we were lost anyway, and the sight of it moved me. They muck around with that package business, but I am overawed by his heart.
    I thought, mate you are a true champ. I know he didn't have the best day but it's that sort of act that you love to see.
    I thought Morris was well down on his normal output.
    Boyd wasn't bad - but didn't hit the heights that he has during the season.
    Minson was solid
    Picken and Murphy were both very good - and in particular I think they both stood up in the second half.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 2 days later and I still have no idea how we lost that game.

Clearances by 20, a 4 goal jump, clear possessional advantage, more scoring shots, extended periods of dominance. How did we lose?

Like I know how, but HOW? I thought not thinking about it for a day or so and letting it sink in would bring some clarity, but nope. Walker was great and we didn't have it in our arsenal to stop him, but we had them covered pretty much everywhere else.

Hunter and Bont's handballs (or non-handball for Marcus) will make me feel sick for ages.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -