Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  202
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future sponsorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    One thing I have always wondered/been confused about. When they talk about mining in regards to crypto currency or block chain does that mean that somebody somewhere is digging a hole in the ground or is it more of a virtual mine?
    It's just a euphemism / virtual.

I assume because you get a "coin" they came up with the mining paradigm.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 22-05-2021 at 01:39 PM.

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Blockchain tech is almost impossible to tamper with so it is trusted to manage the data in the blocks (unit of data).

For crypto like Bitcoin, much like a bank is trusted in our society to record transactions (the ledger of transactions, eg you transferred 20 bucks to the Bulldogs for a scarf) , the block chain is trusted to maintain the ledger for bitcoin transactions, and without going into detail you can't tamper with it and its decentralised across the network (no one person has the power).

Where the environmental issue comes in is to process a block in the chain you use compute resources (think your CPU in your PC, it's called mining) to solve a complex puzzle the network provides as an entry fee; the reward for getting it right is you become the banker (process the transaction) and you receive bitcoin.

So the more processing power you have (think clusters of computers joined together all working on this puzzle to get coins) the more chance of solving the puzzle and being rewarded, and the more energy you need. If your energy is derived from fossil fuels then there's your issue.

They estimate bitcoin mining uses more power than some small countries.

But it's essential to "power" the network and process the transactions and it gets increasingly harder as the network tries to control the rate of bitcoin creation (it's finite).

Hope that makes sense?
    I am not into Crypto, but I did see that Elon Musk spoke out publicly about this last week and reversed the decision to let people buy Tesla’s with Bitcoin owing to how horrific the mining of this particular coin is environmentally (which kinda goes against their ethos). This was apparently the start of some volatility and pretty huge losses across the crypto world in the last week or so.

There are apparently some much ‘greener’ alternatives to Bitcoin that use a fraction of the energy to mine. I could have this wrong, but it sounds like because it was the first (one of the firsts?), Bitcoin is a bit of a fossil and the tech is a bit outdated (works slower, needs more resources to mine, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I am not into Crypto, but I did see that Elon Musk spoke out publicly about this last week and reversed the decision to let people buy Tesla’s with Bitcoin owing to how horrific the mining of this particular coin is environmentally (which kinda goes against their ethos). This was apparently the start of some volatility and pretty huge losses across the crypto world in the last week or so.

There are apparently some much ‘greener’ alternatives to Bitcoin that use a fraction of the energy to mine. I could have this wrong, but it sounds like because it was the first (one of the firsts?), Bitcoin is a bit of a fossil and the tech is a bit outdated (works slower, needs more resources to mine, etc.).
    It's weird to me that Tesla care about the environment when Musk hates his workers.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Yes I think the issue with Bitcoin's system is the puzzle you need to solve becomes increasingly more complex requiring more compute requiring more power.
    So at beginning (yes my friends told me and I ignored them) people were doing parallel processing (mining) with home made rigs.
    A few motherboards in milk crates linked together; a home made compute cluster. They were getting Bitcoins back in 2010 doing this.
    Now it would take the same rig 1000 years or something (complete guess to explain).
    Newer currencies have probably learnt from this.

7. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's weird to me that Tesla care about the environment when Musk hates his workers.
    Elon's workflow loop :

Buy => Endorse => Sell => Discredit

9. Likes azabob, hujsh, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Elon's workflow loop :

Buy => Endorse => Sell => Discredit
    Funny Elon cares so much, but doesn’t mind destroying the environment and exploiting his workers to extract basalt for his batteries.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good week to buy the rear of the jumper. Stock soared.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Good week to buy the rear of the jumper. Stock soared.
    Ironically the last time that we beat St Kilda by 100+ points we had announced a major sponsorship in the week leading up to it. It was in 1978 and we had just announced the Pyrox (home heaters) sponsorship.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically the last time that we beat St Kilda by 100+ points we had announced a major sponsorship in the week leading up to it. It was in 1978 and we had just announced the Pyrox (home heaters) sponsorship.
    I love your stories TD, please don't change
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I love your stories TD, please don't change
    There was an advert on TV showing the players in the dressing room after training all standing around a newly installed heater. I reckon that Geoff Jennings and Kelvin Templeton got speaking parts. I can only remember seeing it a couple of times.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes Prince Imperial, jeemak, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I live.

More than 30 businesses in Agnes Water and the Town of 1770 in central Queensland now accept cryptocurrency as a form of payment, with the beach community billing itself as Australia's first "digital currency-friendly" tourist town.

The aim is to attract a niche market of international tourists, who can pay for goods with digital currency like bitcoin that can be instantly converted to Australian dollars.

This started in 2018 and nearly all businesses accept it now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-...y-town/9828306

Post Thanks / Like

There was an advert on TV showing the players in the dressing room after training all standing around a newly installed heater. I reckon that Geoff Jennings and Kelvin Templeton got speaking parts. I can only remember seeing it a couple of times.
    Same here. It was exciting as a boy to see our team on the tele as Channel 7 ignored us most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm into crypto can't stress enough that whilst not good at the minute XRP got 20k invested
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the first sponsor I remember, classic. I remember we had KB lager maybe next?

Found this on ebay ah the memories :

Post Thanks / Like

While we’re on the subject, something I’ve always wanted to know is what on earth was up with our jumper sponsors in 2002? Seemed like we had a different one each week.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -