Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dangerfield...?

Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield...?

I'm home. I've had a few. I've been to the game, I've commiserated in Barkly Street. I've reflected and I've walked home and had a cold slice of pizza...

.....And it's still a fact.. Dangerfield killed us. He is a rolled gold superstar. I'm not one for overreaching, but if that bloke's homesick for the Bellarine Peninsula and looking for another club, we'd have to be asleep at the wheel not to have a crack at him.

He's magnificent on the inside, he takes pack marks, he tackles, he's lightning quick, he's neat by foot and surgically clean by hand.

His timing would be off to go to Geelong, but his timing's almost ideal to go 40mins up Geelong Road to WO. And at WO he'll be in a bonefide window for the remainder of his career.

It'd be negligent of WBFC management not to throw the kitchen sink at such an A+++ grader. And it'd be silly of Patrick's management not to seriously consider WBFC.

What's more, after the clinic he put on tonight, not one of our players would resent him earning $1M plus p.a. We simply have to be in the mix.

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dangerfield...?

The thought of Dangerfield and Bont in the same midfield brings a tear to the eye. Together, their explosive power and quality would be a true oppositions nightmare.

I find it hard to imagine, but this time last year I would never have imagined we'd go for, and get, Boyd. Our recruiters can pull out a curve ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. What Webby said
    I don't get why Dangerfield is pulling up stumps to head to a team falling off the cliff.
    We're 40 minutes away, and J Mcartney and co would be negligent not to enquire

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Webby, I mentioned this at the start of the year, he would fit perfectly in our team.

Gut feel, he will stay with Adelaide.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks wimberga thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't afford him. Boyd starts earning $1m next season

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we'd want to, culturally, bring in too many guns on big coin. How can we keep Bont et al on OK coin but pay ring ins more. It's counter intuitive and almost encourages our guns to test the market.

Great player. But I reckon with Libba back next year, we have the best midfield in the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don't think we'd want to, culturally, bring in too many guns on big coin. How can we keep Bont et al on OK coin but pay ring ins more. It's counter intuitive and almost encourages our guns to test the market.

Great player. But I reckon with Libba back next year, we have the best midfield in the comp.
    If libba comes back in good nick. We could give top four a shake. I wouldnt chase danger. Hes worth too much. I would chase stefan martin tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of wonder what it would be like to know and watch your best player playing their last quarter of footy in your jumper. As hard as Gryphon (if not the captain) was hard to see walk out, to imagine Bonts or Stringer in the same position would be horrible. Knowing there was no way of keeping them and that was the end of the relationship would be another kind of hard break up.

I guess Geelong look better again next year while keeping pick 10, resigning Motlop and probably getting Henderson for 28.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I kind of wonder what it would be like to know and watch your best player playing their last quarter of footy in your jumper. As hard as Gryphon (if not the captain) was hard to see walk out, to imagine Bonts or Stringer in the same position would be horrible. Knowing there was no way of keeping them and that was the end of the relationship would be another kind of hard break up.

I guess Geelong look better again next year while keeping pick 10, resigning Motlop and probably getting Henderson for 28.
    Callan Ward, Nathan Brown. Even though neither had announced his departure at the time everyone knew that they had just played their last games for us. The Brown one provoked one of the funniest tirade of abuse/advice I've ever heard at the footy directed at Nathan while the players were doing a lap after the game. I can't repeat it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes bulldogtragic, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Webby raises an interesting but unlikely scenario.

Under the current rules, and assuming Adelaide won't match terms with a bidding club, the Crows will be compensated once Dangerfield moves on. In the unlikely scenario he decides he wants to do the right thing by the Crows, and that he would consider other clubs, teams could put their best deals forward which could potentially be a better outcome than the likely compensation the Crows would receive.

If he was interested in coming to us I would assume we would need to use our first round pick this and next year and throw in Michael Talia for good measure. We would then need to come up with a mega financial deal for the player.

Would that be sufficient to get the deal done?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield is a surfer. He loves surfing and he wants to be near the sea. FACT.

The difference between living / playing in Geelong or Melbourne is actually massive in this case.

If he plays for Geelong he can live in Torquay. Get up for an early surf. 10 minutes to the water. 10 minutes back and a 20 minute drive in to Kardinia park. If you live in Melbourne, it's a 3 hr round trip just to get to the surf and back and that's not counting any time in the water. Forget it. If he moves, he moves to Geelong.

END OF STORY.

Post Thanks / Like

5 year deal with the Cats is the word on the street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Dangerfield is a surfer. He loves surfing and he wants to be near the sea. FACT.

The difference between living / playing in Geelong or Melbourne is actually massive in this case.

If he plays for Geelong he can live in Torquay. Get up for an early surf. 10 minutes to the water. 10 minutes back and a 20 minute drive in to Kardinia park. If you live in Melbourne, it's a 3 hr round trip just to get to the surf and back and that's not counting any time in the water. Forget it. If he moves, he moves to Geelong.

END OF STORY.
    Our coach is also a surfer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Callan Ward, Nathan Brown. Even though neither had announced his departure at the time everyone knew that they had just played their last games for us. The Brown one provoked one of the funniest tirade of abuse/advice I've ever heard at the footy directed at Nathan while the players were doing a lap after the game. I can't repeat it.
    Can you pretty please?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Webby raises an interesting but unlikely scenario.

Under the current rules, and assuming Adelaide won't match terms with a bidding club, the Crows will be compensated once Dangerfield moves on. In the unlikely scenario he decides he wants to do the right thing by the Crows, and that he would consider other clubs, teams could put their best deals forward which could potentially be a better outcome than the likely compensation the Crows would receive.

If he was interested in coming to us I would assume we would need to use our first round pick this and next year and throw in Michael Talia for good measure. We would then need to come up with a mega financial deal for the player.

Would that be sufficient to get the deal done?
    As it stands, Adelaide will be compensated with pick #15 if Sydney win tonight and they don't match the offer. Given that they could get more in a trade situation, I think there's at least a moderate chance that they match any offer and try to get a trade done instead. The only problem with doing that is a club that was willing to bring him in might not be willing to do so if it costs them a lot, and Danger should cost a lot.

I think a starting point for us or Geelong or anyone in that general pick range is either a top 3 pick or 2 x first rounders where they're mid-later first rounders (i.e. 10 + 10 next year). So something like #11 + 2016 first pick + Talia is reasonable imo but then I don't really think Talia adds much to the deal. We may try to get back a 2nd rd pick next year or something if we're lucky.