Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Perspective on yesterday

One way to think about this loss is 'tightening our grip'. We might look back on yesterday in 5 years time as the loss that gave us the opportunity for an early pre-season and spurned us with renewed determination.

It's great to be positive, but the fact is, so hard to win the GF out of the top 4. We didn't dominate the competition enough to win that extra chance or a break, and losses to lesser lights, like Melbourne and the smashing in Tasmania highlight that.

The trick is to back up this season with another good one and keep our momentum and faith.

The trend is upward. It's not like previous years when you felt we spent all our gas tickets and had to rebuild the next season. These boys will come out bigger, stronger and better for it.

At the start of the season, if just about any of us were offered a season where we win almost all our games, make first round finals but lose, we would have all taken it. Personally, I predicted we would come second last. MJP was about the only one who said we would be on the cusp of finals.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes Raw Toast, Eastdog, FrediKanoute, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perspective on yesterday

Very well said GD, I'm as guilty as anyone for thinking that year was supposed to be about developing the young players more than results. The fact that we did that and still contended is something we should remember. We shouldn't just simply accept the loss but we also need to acknowledge we made significant progress.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    One way to think about this loss is 'tightening our grip'. We might look back on yesterday in 5 years time as the loss that gave us the opportunity for an early pre-season and spurned us with renewed determination.

It's great to be positive, but the fact is, so hard to win the GF out of the top 4. We didn't dominate the competition enough to win that extra chance or a break, and losses to lesser lights, like Melbourne and the smashing in Tasmania highlight that.

The trick is to back up this season with another good one and keep our momentum and faith.

The trend is upward. It's not like previous years when you felt we spent all our gas tickets and had to rebuild the next season. These boys will come out bigger, stronger and better for it.

At the start of the season, if just about any of us were offered a season where we win almost all our games, make first round finals but lose, we would have all taken it. Personally, I predicted we would come second last. MJP was about the only one who said we would be on the cusp of finals.
    I think there was about 8 of us who voted finals in the poll (I could be wrong), but credit where credits due

Good post. We do not want to become complacent and be the 2016 Port Adelaide. We need to draft astutely and as others have alluded to we need an accomplished ruck and a key back. We have proved we are an attractive team to watch and we should attract the interest of rival players so am looking forward to big games next year and another membership record.

We were good last night just couldn't ice it and don't underestimate the Crows, they came to play for Walsh. We were playing against a heap of emotion.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course improvement won't be automatic. But one thing that should drive continued progress is the competition for spots next year. JJ, Libber, a fiitter Tom Boyd and Koby would you'd think be certain inclusions in our best 22. Guys like Dale, McLean, Cordy of the Z variety, and Webb will be knocking the door down. blokes like Honeychurch and redpath will have to address deficiencies in their game to be selected each week.

Unlike other years where we've mainly hoped for the progress to come from an existing group, our week one finals side 2016 �� is likely to be very different but still young enough to be growing further and gelling together.That gives me a lot of hope.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

On another positive the loss puts us in the 7-12 group for next seasons fixtures. Hard to think of positives at the moment though, still gutted. Proud but gutted.

8. Likes Sedat, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think there was about 8 of us who voted finals in the poll (I could be wrong), but credit where credits due

Good post. We do not want to become complacent and be the 2016 Port Adelaide. We need to draft astutely and as others have alluded to we need an accomplished ruck and a key back. We have proved we are an attractive team to watch and we should attract the interest of rival players so am looking forward to big games next year and another membership record.

We were good last night just couldn't ice it and don't underestimate the Crows, they came to play for Walsh. We were playing against a heap of emotion.
    Haha I was too lazy to go back and check. I did say 'about'. Credit to you 1eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    On another positive the loss puts us in the 7-12 group for next seasons fixtures. Hard to think of positives at the moment though, still gutted. Proud but gutted.
    Yes it really hurts. Maybe a reality check though. Not sure we are near West Coast yet.
    Youngest team in the 8, yet didn't look daunted. Put Cassius, Libba back in, Kobe, JJ, lots of room for improvement.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 13-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I had us finishing 15th, it has been an incredible turnaround. Full credit to Bevo and the boys for driving the changes. I've been saying to people it is amazing to have been even thinking about finals the last month or so, from where we were at. So that's a huge positive, and leaves great hope.

Still, losing sucks. Losing to the Crows, when I'm sitting smack bang in the middle of them, sucks big time. I'm still gutted.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Although shattered about losing a very winnable final last night;
    I went to the game thinking that if we put out a performance befitting of how we've played for the year (pressure, hunger, risk taking etc), put on a great show, and got beaten still - then I could be happy with the season. It was an incredible rise.
    Bonti not kicking those goals, Macrae being well down in quarters 2 & 3, and Stringer not reaching his usual high standards- will burn in those guys in the off season. It was a hell of a ride and I'm very proud of the team we have.

12. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bulldog Joe had us winning 13 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Was starting to feel a bit better. Then I read the paper, now I feel crap again.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Was starting to feel a bit better. Then I read the paper, now I feel crap again.
    You know the rules Andrew after a loss no newspapers or footy shows

16. Likes AndrewP6, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said GD. I'm disappointed to lose last night. We certainly rose to the occassion and if we had of taken our chances who knows.

Overall it's been a great year as many expected us to finish bottom four. Luke Beveridge and the coaching staff need to be commended on turning the ship around.

Will be back again next year hopefully to have another good season. Our youngsters will only get better.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think Bulldog Joe had us winning 13 games.
    Yes. That was my prediction.

I take no solace from that as I feel we blew an enormous chance and it was the set shots that cost us.

I am also sick of saying there is always next year, because for some there will not be.

Struggling to get over the result and I really want no-one to win it now.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Yes. That was my prediction.

I take no solace from that as I feel we blew an enormous chance and it was the set shots that cost us.

I am also sick of saying there is always next year, because for some there will not be.

Struggling to get over the result and I really want no-one to win it now.
    Similar to me BJ. Good opportunities don't come around to often and it was one we lost. Yes we're young and yes we should improve but it's still a missed opurtunity no matter which way you paint it.

Post Thanks / Like

The only skerick of positiveness out of that is the players have that sticking in their guts all pre-season.