Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  35
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation get Stefan Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I cant see any lumbering ruck type being able to hold down a fullback position the way Roughie did. You need a certain amount of mobility to defend a key forward.

For the life of me I dont understand why we dont prime Roughead all preseason to be our #1 ruck. He was noted for his intelligent tapwork as a junior, and we have seen first hand he has decent disposal for a big man - hes not one of those mark, stop and handball rucks.

Am I crazy?
    The problem with Roughy is that his body doesn't look like it'll cope with 1st Ruck crash and bash consistently. 2 full games as 1st Ruck late in season, and shoulders, fingers and legs all hurt.
    Last edited by Bulldog Joe; 16-09-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The problem with Roughy is that his body doesn't look like it'll cope with 1st Ruck crash and bash consistently. 2 full games as 1st Ruck late in season, and shoulders, fingers and legs all hurt.
    Which might be the same issue with Leuey, according to Stefoid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Leuey is very mobile for his size and has a lot of tricks for a player his size, but his injury history has really hurt his progress. Like Kreuz, if Leuey gets the all-clear from a medial perspective, he is a massive upgrade on our current ruck stocks. At 100% fitness, he can rival the Goldy's and NicNat's.

I see Kreuz as being more like-for-like with Will (except much better up forward) whereas Leuey is the elite tap ruckman who covers the ground all day (think your Goldy or Dean Cox type).
    What I heard today on KB's show was the xray on Kreuz's foot with the plate in it was what let him down with Collingwood. Apparently it hasn't gelled or joined properly like it should have.

Post Thanks / Like

Leuenberger is held together by gaffer tape and in this he is no better or worse than Roughie in the number 1 ruck role. If we want to go down the path of bringing him in I'm all for it becuase if by some miracle his body does hold up he can at least ruck and ruck well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point. At least Leuey has put together whole seasons as 1st Ruck in the past, not sure Roughy will ever manage that. No doubt we would want our medicos to do a thorough check on Leuey though.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 16-09-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    What I heard today on KB's show was the xray on Kreuz's foot with the plate in it was what let him down with Collingwood. Apparently it hasn't gelled or joined properly like it should have.
    Yep, all bets on Kreuz (or Leuey for that matter) are off if they fail our medical assessment.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy Williams is no worse an option to come back and play ruck if those fail the medical tests. And Tommy has had a year to rest up.

#BringBackTom
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going on this article:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-1...s-new-approach

"At his best, Leuenberger is arguably one of the finest ruckmen in the league, but has played just 94 games in his eight years.

Something has to give, and that something is the pre-season.

"Whenever I had a full pre-season, I tend to break down by the first four rounds," Leuenberger told AFL.com.au.

"It's not clear-cut, but there's a trend there.

"Whenever I have completed full pre-seasons, I tend to fall down in the first four to five rounds, so it's just being smart and managing it, which we're doing
    ."'

10. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Shoot me down if Im wrong, but Ill assume coping with collisions is part of ruck skillset. He has played bugger all ruck in the last 3 years, so hes going to be rusty. Also, body training for ruck would be different - Ill assume you want to be heavier and stronger than for playing in a key defence post where speed off the mark and agility would be more of a priority.

I guess with Roughead and Campbell already on the list, I dont see the need to waste all our magic beans on another ruck, particualrly an injury prone one like berger. IF we wernt idiots, Ben Brown would already be on the list for peanuts and job done.

If we want to go risky, lets spend our beans on Brennel instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Leuy doesn't really excite me. Has he ever strung together a full season of good footy? Even half a season? It seems he has patches of good form (4-5 weeks) and then either gets injured or fades.

At his best he'd be a great pick up, but he hasn't been able to deliver that consistently for a host of reasons.

If Bevo and co. want him and our medical team gives the all clear, I'll be happy to have him given he comes for free but I won't hold my breath re: his durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Leuy doesn't really excite me. Has he ever strung together a full season of good footy? Even half a season? It seems he has patches of good form (4-5 weeks) and then either gets injured or fades.

At his best he'd be a great pick up, but he hasn't been able to deliver that consistently for a host of reasons.

If Bevo and co. want him and our medical team gives the all clear, I'll be happy to have him given he comes for free but I won't hold my breath re: his durability.
    He did play 64 of a possible 66 games in 2010, 11 & 13 so he can get through full seasons when he is right. He is certainly a risk but, if right, would add a fair bit to us and is cheap (free as a trade). Medical clearance a big if though.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny what you find when searching for something else.

Firstly well done Chef, took us five years and a cheap draft pick, but we got our man.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes jeemak, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Funny what you find when searching for something else.

Firstly well done Chef, took us five years and a cheap draft pick, but we got our man.
    The real question is what were you looking for and did you find it aza?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The real question is what were you looking for and did you find it aza?
    Not really. I was trying to find a thread on rule changes - I did bump one, but not the one I was looking for.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not really. I was trying to find a thread on rule changes - I did bump one, but not the one I was looking for.
    I think BAD has had some passing interest in the AFL changing the rules over the years, perhaps he can help.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post