Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation get Stefan Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The yet word in my first explanation was marginal. Redders might be big but he isn't a proven key forward yet.

Leuy has struggled and given the Lions get compensated for him they probably wouldn't be overly upset to see him go.
    It means that they must keep Martin though and it opens up a question of if Leuy is much better than what we have?
    Fair enough, but there aren't a lot of proper key forwards on the market. I am not saying they will straight swap but I do think he would hold some value for them and may be a significant part of a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Fair enough, but there aren't a lot of proper key forwards on the market. I am not saying they will straight swap but I do think he would hold some value for them and may be a significant part of a deal.
    They can't fix their problems in one season so the worst thing they could do is copy Carltons formula from last season and top up with depth players over quality ones.

They also already have McGuane and Paine as forwards so I'm not sure adding another questionable player talent wise helps them in anyway. They need some decent players so we would need to give them something better than Redpath.

They have asked for a priority pick and lets assume they get that, they will also be compensated for Leuy and will get something decent for Aish. They need to roll all that up into a quality player or two even allowing for some academy players they need to accommodate.

Maybe Martin can get them to trade him but we would need to pay overs to get him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Brisbane are pretty desperate for key forwards, would Martin for Redpath be about doable.

Martin is a better player, but Redpath has a lot more years left.

Maybe a little trade of draft picks as well.
    I wouldnt think the Club would trade Redders after just giving him a one year contract extension

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    What did we give up for Huddo?
    Ended up being pick 30, with a swap of pick 38 (to Adelaide) and 43 (to us, which ended up being Easton Wood).
    Last edited by Sedat; 14-09-2015 at 12:31 AM.

6. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm adamantly opposed to picking up 29 year olds, but rucks are an exception to the rule.
    They develop( as a rule) at a later age

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Ended up being pick 30, with a swap of pick 38 (to Adelaide) and 43 (to us, which ended up being Easton Wood).
    He was 29 when he played his first game for us too.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Ruckman Martin likely to remain with Lions

STEFAN Martin is still weighing up his future, but says he'll likely stay with the Brisbane Lions in 2016.

Martin is contracted for next year, but is considering a return to Melbourne for personal reasons.

The imposing ruckman had a stellar season and was one of four players – alongside Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson – to share the Merrett-Murray Medal as the Lions' best and fairest on Saturday night.

Zorko, another player suggested to be looking elsewhere, confirmed he would be at the Gabba next year.

But for Martin, the decision is a little tougher, saying it is not as clear-cut as simply staying at a club he loves.

"I've got some life circumstances going on and that's the only reason I'd want to leave the club," Martin said.

"(It's) unrelated to the club, nothing they've done, but sometimes life gets in the way.

"At this stage it's looking like I'll be at the Lions, not 100 per cent, but that's where it's at, at the moment."

It's believed the club is trying to extend the 28-year-old's tenure with a longer-term deal.

"I do love the club, but it's just weighing up life's priorities," Martin said.

"There's a huge part of me that would just love to be at this club next year."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I wouldnt think the Club would trade Redders after just giving him a one year contract extension
    A lot of contracted players get traded every year. I don't think the club want to git rid of Jack, but I think he would be expendable under the right circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond is interested in Carlton free agent Matthew Kreuzer, while the Bulldogs are circling Brisbane Lion Stefan Martin.
    Kreuzer is out of contract, while Martin has one year remaining on his deal, meaning he would only move if the Lions can secure a satisfactory trade.
    The Lions have told Martin he is going nowhere.
    - Herald Sun
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Richmond is interested in Carlton free agent Matthew Kreuzer, while the Bulldogs are circling Brisbane Lion Stefan Martin.
    Kreuzer is out of contract, while Martin has one year remaining on his deal, meaning he would only move if the Lions can secure a satisfactory trade.
    The Lions have told Martin he is going nowhere.
    - Herald Sun
    So we want him and would need to pay overs to get him is how I'm reading that.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So we want him and would need to pay overs to get him is how I'm reading that.
    Given we are 2-3 years from our peak, I would not be happy over paying for Martin.

Good player but not worth reaching for, and given he's contracted, that's what we'd have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Given we are 2-3 years from our peak, I would not be happy over paying for Martin.

Good player but not worth reaching for, and given he's contracted, that's what we'd have to do.
    Yep, he cost Brisbane pick 51 or something 2 years ago and he's going to cost a hell of a lot more now as a 29yo. I'd much rather get the next Stefan Martin that is wallowing away at another club in his mid 20's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

If we are interested as is being reported what would be a reasonable offer for him?
    Brisbane could be interested in a player struggling to get a lot of games with us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, he cost Brisbane pick 51 or something 2 years ago and he's going to cost a hell of a lot more now as a 29yo. I'd much rather get the next Stefan Martin that is wallowing away at another club in his mid 20's.
    Like Roughie?

The big footy rumour is Leunberger. Another injury basket case who cant put in a full preseason. I cant fathom it, if true.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should go all in or not at all. They will force us to overpay, so perhaps overpay with pick 12 or 13 or whatever we get. But Daniel Rich, James Aish (etc) are packaged with something else. Minson would be easily first ruck with Luey and Martin gone. Would be a good character for them too.

Martin & Aish/Rich for 13 and Minson. Gives Brisbane picks 3, 4 (Luey compo), 13 and 20 and Minson. That's a pretty ok position to launch a climb up the ladder, assuming they don't get a priority pick on top. Gives us a dominant ruck and another good player with some games and development under their belt. Probably not enough....

.... Or if this works. Talia to Sydney for their 16 and giving them 30. If we can screw them into paying overs to get a developed tall defender...

So we have 13 and 17 (by compo end). We give Brisbane Minson and 13 and 17 for 22, Martin and Rich/Aish. Sellable to Brisbane that guys who want out go, they get picks 3, 4, 13, 17, Minson anything else they can trade for...

That's trade week done for me: incoming pick 22, Martin, Aish/Rich (13, Minson & Talia) with picks 48 and 66.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023