Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation get Stefan Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think we should go all in or not at all. They will force us to overpay, so perhaps overpay with pick 12 or 13 or whatever we get. But Daniel Rich, James Aish (etc) are packaged with something else. Minson would be easily first ruck with Luey and Martin gone. Would be a good character for them too.

Martin & Aish/Rich for 13 and Minson. Gives Brisbane picks 3, 4 (Luey compo), 13 and 20 and Minson. That's a pretty ok position to launch a climb up the ladder, assuming they don't get a priority pick on top. Gives us a dominant ruck and another good player with some games and development under their belt. Probably not enough....

.... Or if this works. Talia to Sydney for their 16 and giving them 30. If we can screw them into paying overs to get a developed tall defender...

So we have 13 and 17 (by compo end). We give Brisbane Minson and 13 and 17 for 22, Martin and Rich/Aish. Sellable to Brisbane that guys who want out go, they get picks 3, 4, 13, 17, Minson anything else they can trade for...

That's trade week done for me: incoming pick 22, Martin, Aish/Rich (13, Minson & Talia) with picks 48 and 66.
    I'd be surprised if Brisbane accepted an offer for Aish alone over pick 15. I couldn't then see the equivalent of a straight swap of Will for Stefan working for them. Maybe something can be worked out with the addition of a future pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'd be surprised if Brisbane accepted an offer for Aish alone over pick 15. I couldn't then see the equivalent of a straight swap of Will for Stefan working for them. Maybe something can be worked out with the addition of a future pick.
    Brisbane have two good academy players they need to acquire so they will need early picks. Sydney have one academy player and potentially a father son to pick so I can't see them parting with their first rounder as BT suggested.

For Martin they would ideally want a player but they might take a draft pick.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would be way to happy with those trades BT for them to be realistic. Brisbane would want a first round pick for Aish or Rich alone, and Minson is worth much less than Martin. Also I would be very surprised if we got a pick before 25 for Talia, and very happy if it was earlier than 30.

I like Martin, he is a type that Beveridge would love, but at 29 there has to be some questions over whether we target someone younger.

For mine other than the obvious ones in Kreuzer and Leuenberger (who are both very injury prone) I think it could be worth enquiring about the following:

-Callum Sinclair, my personal favourite. Has shown at West Coast this year that he can be effective in the ruck, is mobile and can take a mark around the ground. He also kicked 13 goals this year so can hurt on the scoreboard. I think he is the athletic marking type we should be going for, and at 25 should be coming into his prime. He won't be cheap, but we have the carrot of being 1st ruck instead of spending his career behind NicNat. I think originally a Melbourne boy too, although may feel some allegiance to the club that gave him a chance as a mature ager.

-Tom Nicholls, physical and athletic and able to take a mark, wouldn't be cheap as he is Gold Coasts first ruck I believe. Only about 22 so could still grow with the group.

-Zac Clarke, Feels like he has been around forever, but is only 25 still. Like Sinclair is athletic and can play forward. Still yet to have much exposed form as a first ruck but his versatilty and ability to get around the ground would really help us.

All the above wouldn't be cheap, but have all shown they can perform at AFL level and suit the style I believe Beveridge likes.

Other players that I have not seen much of but could be worth consideration:
    -Daniel Gorringe, atm stuck behind Smith and Nicholls at GC but is athletic, was a high draft pick (10) and I believe wants out, as he did last year.
    -Michael Apeness, ruck/key forward who has a fairly high draft pick. Only played a couple of games last year.
    -Jack Hannath, athletic and has played forward. Like the other Freo guys might be hard to steal as they look to replace Sandilands.
    -Andrew Phillips, Played 14 games so far and I believe has been talked about as tradeable.
    -Scott Lycett, has shown he can kick multiple goals and is alright atheltically. Signed up for a while but we could pry him out now that he is clearly behind Nicnat and Sinclair.

I also would like to see us look at rookie listing an international recruit, which I believe are exempt from the number restrictions of normal rookies. If it is a free hit, we may as well get one in.

BTW, cannot believe Trent West is still on a list.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Thanks F'scary, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I would be way to happy with those trades BT for them to be realistic. Brisbane would want a first round pick for Aish or Rich alone, and Minson is worth much less than Martin. Also I would be very surprised if we got a pick before 25 for Talia, and very happy if it was earlier than 30.

I like Martin, he is a type that Beveridge would love, but at 29 there has to be some questions over whether we target someone younger.

For mine other than the obvious ones in Kreuzer and Leuenberger (who are both very injury prone) I think it could be worth enquiring about the following:

-Callum Sinclair, my personal favourite. Has shown at West Coast this year that he can be effective in the ruck, is mobile and can take a mark around the ground. He also kicked 13 goals this year so can hurt on the scoreboard. I think he is the athletic marking type we should be going for, and at 25 should be coming into his prime. He won't be cheap, but we have the carrot of being 1st ruck instead of spending his career behind NicNat. I think originally a Melbourne boy too, although may feel some allegiance to the club that gave him a chance as a mature ager.

-Tom Nicholls, physical and athletic and able to take a mark, wouldn't be cheap as he is Gold Coasts first ruck I believe. Only about 22 so could still grow with the group.

-Zac Clarke, Feels like he has been around forever, but is only 25 still. Like Sinclair is athletic and can play forward. Still yet to have much exposed form as a first ruck but his versatilty and ability to get around the ground would really help us.

All the above wouldn't be cheap, but have all shown they can perform at AFL level and suit the style I believe Beveridge likes.

Other players that I have not seen much of but could be worth consideration:
    -Daniel Gorringe, atm stuck behind Smith and Nicholls at GC but is athletic, was a high draft pick (10) and I believe wants out, as he did last year.
    -Michael Apeness, ruck/key forward who has a fairly high draft pick. Only played a couple of games last year.
    -Jack Hannath, athletic and has played forward. Like the other Freo guys might be hard to steal as they look to replace Sandilands.
    -Andrew Phillips, Played 14 games so far and I believe has been talked about as tradeable.
    -Scott Lycett, has shown he can kick multiple goals and is alright atheltically. Signed up for a while but we could pry him out now that he is clearly behind Nicnat and Sinclair.

I also would like to see us look at rookie listing an international recruit, which I believe are exempt from the number restrictions of normal rookies. If it is a free hit, we may as well get one in.

BTW, cannot believe Trent West is still on a list.
    Lycett is the one that might attract a bit of interest. As stated, he is now third on the list at West Coast behind NicNat and Sinclair. I believe we should be targeting someone like him. Who or what do we give up? 2nd & 4th Round pick for Lycett and their 3rd Round Pick. I'd be hopless at this trade thing, too attached to our players to want to give any of them up (unless Christian Howard is sought after)
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

I might break it down:

Aish/Rich for mid/late first rounder, got somehow upgrading our second pick and Talia.
    Martin for Minson in addition to upgrading their pick 22 to pick 13. Nine spots into the mid first round is a very big jump for getting an A grader.

But not breaking any of this down, it's all or nothing. They get a new number one ruckman and get TWO first round selections (2 A graders if they draft right) for two guys who could leave for a lot less next year. Not tempting for either club? We get good, but lose two players and two first rounders. They get picks 3, 4, 13 & 16.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Like Roughie?

The big footy rumour is Leunberger. Another injury basket case who cant put in a full preseason. I cant fathom it, if true.
    Roughie and Martin are really apples and oranges. Martin is cut from the same cloth as a Ryder type - extremely mobile and can cause damage around other parts of the ground. Roughie is more of a traditional first ruck in the Goldy/NicNat mould (though obviously not as good). I see Kreuzer as a younger and more talented version of Martin, and Leuey as a talented but injury-prone version of Goldy/NicNat.

I don't know what Roughie's best role is at our club, especially not knowing what we'll do with the list in the off-season.

8. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Roughie and Martin are really apples and oranges. Martin is cut from the same cloth as a Ryder type - extremely mobile and can cause damage around other parts of the ground. Roughie is more of a traditional first ruck in the Goldy/NicNat mould (though obviously not as good). I see Kreuzer as a younger and more talented version of Martin, and Leuey as a talented but injury-prone version of Goldy/NicNat.

I don't know what Roughie's best role is at our club, especially not knowing what we'll do with the list in the off-season.
    Rumour is we have offerred Leuenberger 4 years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I've heard 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I've heard 3 years.
    I heard 3.5 years!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes craigsahibee, chef, bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How mobile is Leunberger? Or is he just a younger version of Big Will? Clearly Bevo has a problem with Big Will's (in)ability to get round the ground so Leunberger or whichever ruck we target would need to be better at that. Clearly Martin is good at that but harder to get due to his contract and seems like he doesn't really want to leave Lions. Kreuzer to me fits Bevo's requirements perfectly but it sounds like his injury concerns are too great.

14. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I heard 3.5 years!
    I've heard 5 years in exchange for 3 years, with a swap of fourth years to sweeten the deal
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes bulldogtragic, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    How mobile is Leunberger? Or is he just a younger version of Big Will?
    Leuey is very mobile for his size and has a lot of tricks for a player his size, but his injury history has really hurt his progress. Like Kreuz, if Leuey gets the all-clear from a medial perspective, he is a massive upgrade on our current ruck stocks. At 100% fitness, he can rival the Goldy's and NicNat's.

I see Kreuz as being more like-for-like with Will (except much better up forward) whereas Leuey is the elite tap ruckman who covers the ground all day (think your Goldy or Dean Cox type).

18. Thanks azabob, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Leuenberger; his games this year when Martin got suspended were outstanding in all honesty (handled Sandilands in round 14 to the tune of 51 hitouts and 2 snags; hmmm not bad). And when he plays a full season, his results are pretty impressive. He can definitely play.

One possible mitigation is that he too cannot play forward, which is exacerbated by his proneness to injury. However, the guys who show a lot in a minimised role are the exact sort of guys you should look at trading in and see if they can do the same with greater opportunity. I think it's worth the risk.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I cant see any lumbering ruck type being able to hold down a fullback position the way Roughie did. You need a certain amount of mobility to defend a key forward.

For the life of me I dont understand why we dont prime Roughead all preseason to be our #1 ruck. He was noted for his intelligent tapwork as a junior, and we have seen first hand he has decent disposal for a big man - hes not one of those mark, stop and handball rucks.

Am I crazy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    How mobile is Leunberger? Or is he just a younger version of Big Will? Clearly Bevo has a problem with Big Will's (in)ability to get round the ground so Leunberger or whichever ruck we target would need to be better at that. Clearly Martin is good at that but harder to get due to his contract and seems like he doesn't really want to leave Lions. Kreuzer to me fits Bevo's requirements perfectly but it sounds like his injury concerns are too great.
    Sedats comparison to goldstien seems like a good one, but the guy cant train. Hes like the ruck version of Cooney doing a half arsed preseason and struggling during the year because his knees are shot.