Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How bad are Pies fans?

As many here know, I'm an NRL convert to AFL living in Sydney who chose to go for the Dogs. I have an AFL guru in Warburton, a 2 or 3 generation Bloods/Swans man and a good mate.

I have learnt much from my guru over the years (eg pre-conversion we were watching a Dons game and he reckoned this young forward would be really good - Lloyd) and he is pleased that i chose to go for an interesting Vic team, rather than the locals or a powerhouse team like Essendon. But he is horrified that I quite like the Pies and that I have no idea how truly terrible their fans are living here in Sydney.

Is he right - are the Pies fans the worse of all?

What about interstate fans?

What is your worst experience of opposition fans?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad are Pies fans?

I don't have a problem with the Pies fans, the ones I particularly dislike and find the worst are the Crows supporters, I made two trips to watch the Dogs over in Adelaide once we won and once we lost, the amount of abuse we copped during the match & leaving the ground was unbelievable. I vowed never to go back to AAMI stadium to watch a football game unless we were in a final over there.

Post Thanks / Like

DR, of all 16 teams, what was it that made you go for the Bulldogs?

I'm not so sure Collingwood fans are any worse than any other teams fans, just that in Melbourne, there's more of them.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide, West Coast and Collingwood supporters are the worst on their own dung heap.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

To me, they are by far the worst collection of supporters in the AFL. Deluded, opinionated, clueless, overbearing fools in the main. Their knowledge of other teams is close to non-existent - they are insular in-breds.

No, I don't like them all that much

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the worst experiences with Richmond, St Kilda and Adelaide fans, but it depends on how lucky you are with your seat. West Coast supporters can be a bit unbearable too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    DR, of all 16 teams, what was it that made you go for the Bulldogs?
    Good question.

Initially my guru gave me free Swans tickets in early '98 and I watched lots of games at the SCG.

Loved watching the footy live, but my tickets were for seats just in front of the Swans corporate hospitality area. People that go to the footy in suits or dresses and pearls (in Sydney, not necessarily men or women respectively) are wankers IMHO. In addition, I was coming off a lifetime of going for an NRL team that raped poor clubs (Manly - grew up there) and the Super League crap.

So i loved watching footy but hated the Swans. But in mid '98 I watched a footy doco (Year of the Dogs) about a team I knew bugger all about but by the last game I was shouting at the TV "Go Dogs". Most of you probably don't get this - everyone I've shown this to up here (neutrals, the ignorant or even other team supporters) are really moved by that doco, beyond you 2nd or 3rd generation Dogs fans.

So I thought, bugger the Swans, I'm a Dogs fan in exile. But I'll never forget a game in 2000 when the Dogs were playing a then hot Blues side and we were missing many key players, we won against the odds and I'll remember at full time pumping the air and shouting in my flat "I go for a great team" and the bonding was complete.

2000 was last high point for us and it would be easy for me to go for the Swans up here but for years now there's only been one footy team for me.

Go Dogs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Good question.

Initially my guru gave me free Swans tickets in early '98 and I watched lots of games at the SCG.

Loved watching the footy live, but my tickets were for seats just in front of the Swans corporate hospitality area. People that go to the footy in suits or dresses and pearls (in Sydney, not necessarily men or women respectively) are wankers IMHO. In addition, I was coming off a lifetime of going for an NRL team that raped poor clubs (Manly - grew up there) and the Super League crap.

So i loved watching footy but hated the Swans. But in mid '98 I watched a footy doco (Year of the Dogs) about a team I knew bugger all about but by the last game I was shouting at the TV "Go Dogs". Most of you probably don't get this - everyone I've shown this to up here (neutrals, the ignorant or even other team supporters) are really moved by that doco, beyond you 2nd or 3rd generation Dogs fans.

So I thought, bugger the Swans, I'm a Dogs fan in exile. But I'll never forget a game in 2000 when the Dogs were playing a then hot Blues side and we were missing many key players, we won against the odds and I'll remember at full time pumping the air and shouting in my flat "I go for a great team" and the bonding was complete.

2000 was last high point for us and it would be easy for me to go for the Swans up here but for years now there's only been one footy team for me.

Go Dogs!
    That Carlton game obviously started another of your great love affairs too. The winning goal was kicked by an ugg boot wearing Tasmanian in Robert Murphy's debut, with current board member Simon Garlick kicking 6 goals.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate Pies fans, the club and all involved there.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like Adelaide fans, they take supporting a team to a new low. I am venturing over to Adelaide for round 22 next year, and a bit nervous about it. I went there last year to watch the dogs play Port, and their supporters were OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I hate Pies fans, the club and all involved there.
    More than the Tigers? Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond is number 1 on my hate list.

And, just by the way - Tigers are ORANGE and black. At least they all own up to being ignorant every time they sing the song - which has thankfully not been too often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    That Carlton game obviously started another of your great love affairs too. The winning goal was kicked by an ugg boot wearing Tasmanian in Robert Murphy's debut, with current board member Simon Garlick kicking 6 goals.
    While that was a great game, can you now imagine the Dogs in the 2008 GF 5 points down, 30 seconds to go and see Hudson tapping it down to West, gets it to Cross, to Cooney, long kick to our new mystery PSD CHF and Bartlett kicks the winning goal!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Richmond is number 1 on my hate list.

And, just by the way - Tigers are ORANGE and black. At least they all own up to being ignorant every time they sing the song - which has thankfully not been too often lately.
    Shhhh, you'll upset Wallace...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: How bad are Pies fans?

When i was at the geelong(second team/family team)collingwood final one woman would not stop screaming. It was so high pitched it almost drowned out the rest of the crowd.

Opposition fans always annoy me because what ever they do to celebrate i'm already annoyed.