Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free agent Dog exploring options as club holds off on offer

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Grant is very much a required player, and most of what he does gets marginalised in the eyes of many supporters (referring to no one on here) because he had the NERVE to get drafted in the top 5 and not kick 80 goals every year. His basic skill errors are often ridiculous but he more than makes up for it with everything else he does. He's the best true wingman on the list by a fair way, and we just don't have enough of this type to move him on.

Could this be a case of us going early on all of our re-signings, putting us in somewhat of a difficult position with regard to bringing in outside talent? Personally I would have preferred we extended Grant than someone like Prudden.
    Agree - I don't disagree with the criticism of Grant, but once you offer a contract to Prudden, surely Grant's done enough to warrant one also.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Agree - I don't disagree with the criticism of Grant, but once you offer a contract to Prudden, surely Grant's done enough to warrant one also.
    Prudden at 21 has a new 1yr deal in what might be a make or break season.. Not sure Grant would sign a 1yr deal if it was offered.

They are also competing for different roles and with 3 experienced small/medium defenders coming to the end of their careers Prudden might be a bit of insurance if those 3 fall off quicker than expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I don't understand the comparison. Completely different type of player. Completely different age group.
    They aren't competing for the same spot - and Prudden's only had 4 AFL games for you to judge him on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I don't think that is the case, I think the club see's his potential to improve as limited with some glaring weaknesses in his game, he is still best 22 but that may not be the case by the end of next year with others improving. If we let him go now we will get the best possible result as compensation. It's about trading your stocks when they are at their highest possible value in order to get the best return. Grant is not irreplaceable, so let's use that to improve our list. The better we perform, the harder it will be to bring in top talent without making sacrifices.
    We'd be looking at mid range compo at best? Nada if we bring in a FA of our own.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to suggest Prudden & Grant are the same type of player - but Prudden's been there a little while now, with plenty of time injured....even this year once he finally strung a few games together he still had to miss (and he was ok against Collingwood I thought) I just wonder how that looks in comparison to a fairly solid if sometimes flawed / sometimes quite flashy 19 games from Grant's perspective.

Having said that - I wouldn't mind us only offering Grant an extra year.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We'd be looking at mid range compo at best? Nada if we bring in a FA of our own.
    I said it on the list management thread, but this only makes sense if we're not seeking a Free Agent.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like Grant to offered a one year Contract with conditions on him getting another year. For example if he plays 16 matches or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant may have been offered a 1 year extension and wasn't happy and told his manager to see what's out there. For all we know this may have been put out there in round 10 or 12 and he said let's wait to the end of the season and the club may have gone cold after that.
    Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Grant may have been offered a 1 year extension and wasn't happy and told his manager to see what's out there. For all we know this may have been put out there in round 10 or 12 and he said let's wait to the end of the season and the club may have gone cold after that.
    Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.
    In July the discussion on FB: "Bulldogs Online" was he had been offered a two year contract.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I know you are always going to have injuries....but...assuming Libba and Stevens are right to go next season - a few players get pushed down the line (or outside the centre square) to other positions. You would also think that McLean, Webb, Dale, Daniel, Hrovat - at a minimum - will be more prominent in selection next season, depending on who comes out of pre-season really up and firing.

Grant has been best 22 this year...but realistically, is in the bottom 3 or 4 of that 22.

I'd say that there is a reasonable enough chance that he would be best 22 for much of next year. But with the very real possibility that he gets pushed out of the side, for me, any more than 1 year would be the wrong move. If that means Grant wants to weigh up his options, then I am fine with that.
    2 points:

- all of those highlighted have shown potential, but none of those really play Grant's position or style. None of those have his speed. If I had to be honest Hrovat/Honeychurch/Hunter are 3 of the same. If any are going to make way for Libba and Stevo it is those three rather than Grant. Given Hunter's end to 2015, you would think him a lock, so it makes life hard for Honeychurch and Hrovat.

- bottom 3-4? He was generally always picked on the ground in the starting 18 and only made sub 1 or 2 times. Assuming Murphy is first picked, Grant would comfortably sit somewhere in the 10 to 15 range.

If the club haven't offered a contract that is fine. I trust Bevo and J-Mac. What I would say though is that Grant wrongly cops a lot of flack from a lot of supporters, mostly based on things he has done (failed to do) previously. Hid gut running this year was awesome. He is quick, both across the turf and with his hands. He has good reach. Personally I think he has Honeychurch and Hrovat covered and in 2015 he started to show some promise. Was he worth pick 5? No, it was a cock up. Is he better than 20 players on our list - yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I probably would prefer we keep Grant, but we also need to consider where we are heading and the need to continually renew the list.

Missing from the finals side we have Stevens, McLean and Dale who I see as all being able to fulfil the role that he plays and improvement is more likely in the other 3.

We also have Libba to push someone else out.

It is a difficult issue, but you simply cannot keep everyone.
    Honeychurch out - Stevens In

Libba will need to earn his place back - year after a reco is generally not a great year, so I wouldn't banking on him displacing anyone in a hurry, but I also have no doubt spots will open up for him

Dale & McLean - both great young talent who will pop in and out of the team. Yes they may displace Grant, but equally they could also suffer 2nd year blues.