I hope he is OK.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hospitalised.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/harle...ayfoLtNc221Aug

Having a really bad month.
    This guy seems to have a lot of mental issues - I feel sorry for him. Prima facie, I can't see this ending well.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

He really needs all the support he can get. This is a big worry. I hope the dees haven’t just cut him dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the week he had I'd have thought he might've been flagged as high risk for something like this? I hope the club had the appropriate supports in place for him. Of course he's an adult, but sometimes that little bit of support can help when you're at a crossroads and make bad decisions. I expect it was a red flag type of day. Hope he is ok too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Melbourne are trying to help Harley

Family, friends concerned for Harley Bennell after former Melbourne player called time on career

Harley Bennell has been taken to hospital by ambulance on the Gold Coast after a big night to celebrate the end of his career.

Police were called to an apartment at the Aria building at Broadbeach about 8pm on Monday after reports of a disturbance and found the strife-prone former Gold Coast, Fremantle and Melbourne player heavily intoxicated, sources told News Corp.

Cops called paramedics and an ambulance took Bennell to hospital.

Bennell’s mother was fearing for her son’s mental wellbeing in the hours before he was taken to hospital.

On a Melbourne fan website, Kayleen Bennell posted messages asking for support in the wake of Harley’s retirement announcement.

It came as fans voiced their opinion on his short-lived Demon career, which only lasted one season.

“Very disappointing, knowing my son is stuck in Queensland with no family support. I’m his mother and I’m very concerned for his wellbeing and mental state,” she posted.

“And you so called humans want to discuss how he upset you all. And what gives you the right to still call him names.”

On Monday Melbourne was working to arrange a flight home to Perth for Bennell, who announced his own retirement earlier that day.

It came after a turbulent and worrying period where he quickly devolved from being a certainty to win a 2021 contract to committing a COVID breach that ended his career.

The Demons continue to help Bennell and have been in touch with him since he left the club’s hub during Round 18 after a drinking session.

The Herald Sun reports on Monday that family and friends remain worried about his welfare given he is still on the Gold Coast while his family is back home in Perth.

The AFL said, as part of his four-week punishment and Melbourne’s $50,000 fine, Bennell had to leave the state “as soon as possible”.

Melbourne is working with Bennell to make that happen eight days after he was officially punished.

Bennell had been faultless in his single season at Melbourne, working hard to rehabilitate a body that had suffered as many as 25 calf tears.

Weeks from the end of the season coach Simon Goodwin spoke about his summer program and indicated he would receive a new contract.

But Bennell left the club’s Twin Waters resort in Maroochydore on the morning of Melbourne’s win over Essendon and committed a COVID breach that included him being turned away from ex-teammate Jarrod Harbrow’s house.

He was not on the flight home in subsequent days with his partner and child, with Melbourne working hard with authorities to get him out of the state.

It is a sad postscript to a career where Bennell showed extraordinary talent in his 88 games with Gold Coast, Fremantle and Melbourne.

He posted on Monday: “Best 10 years of my life. Thank you to everyone that was involved. It was an awesome ride.”

Post Thanks / Like

That's sad his mother was that worried she ventured onto forums and ended up having to defend him from the negative comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Considering the week he had I'd have thought he might've been flagged as high risk for something like this? I hope the club had the appropriate supports in place for him. Of course he's an adult, but sometimes that little bit of support can help when you're at a crossroads and make bad decisions. I expect it was a red flag type of day. Hope he is ok too.
    According to the Age, he was still in contact with the Melbourne psych and the club was trying to get him back to Perth, but it was proving really difficult with his erratic behaviour.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...29-p5606o.html

Despite not offering him a new contract after after he breached AFL protocols by leaving Melbourne's hub on the Sunshine Coast while the Demons were playing Essendon at Metricon Stadium, Melbourne, the AFL and the AFL Players Association have been attempting to support Bennell throughout the past week.
    They were unable to force him to leave Queensland and were attempting to organise for him to return to Perth. The Demons' psychologist has been in regular contact with the 27-year-old, but there have been difficulties organising a trip due to Bennell's erratic behaviour.
    A really sad situation.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!