Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure, I suspect you are right but I was told that Bevo only got very serious with some of the players we were having issues with after that loss to Port at Ballarat. Once finals were out of reach he changed his tune.
    A mate of mine posed that very question.

I'd like to think we'd have moved him on by this point, but hard to say with certainty. The Stringer decision (different in many ways, but similar in some) suggests Harley wouldn't be with us.

He's such a talent at his best, will be a shame if he's lost to the game however appears inevitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Freo is about to delist him, but Ross says he hopes he is picked up by another club?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Who would what to, risk is much greater than the reward.
    He will go down in history as what could have been.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

His calves are just no good. Forget anything else, he can't train for long periods and can't play with any consistency either. That's kind of important when looking at limited list spots, which is Freo's obvious position too. But all the best to him, sometimes footy can be cruel to talented kids with a disposition to injury (see Tom Williams).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Freo is about to delist him, but Ross says he hopes he is picked up by another club?
    It might sound harsh and sorry for that but we dodged a bullet with him. There was concerted effort by a few here suggesting we should trade for him when he was being pushed from the Suns.

He never realised his potential even allowing for his injuries and some issues he struggled with.

Would anyone be interested in us picking him up?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If he could be sent to Germany or wherever to some medical guru to fix his calves then you would consider it, so long as his off field behaviour has been acceptable in recent times (it seems to have been?).

Our open desire to get some indigenous talent on the list could come into play. Probably a 100/1 shot of happening though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If he could be sent to Germany or wherever to some medical guru to fix his calves then you would consider it, so long as his off field behaviour has been acceptable in recent times (it seems to have been?).

Our open desire to get some indigenous talent on the list could come into play. Probably a 100/1 shot of happening though.
    Yeah but if we're bringing in younger guys I think we have a responsibility to be sure the older blokes are 100% on the straight and narrow. If Bennell fits that then fantastic, I'm open to giving him a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to take the risk if we think is off field activity is ok. It is a risk, so was Sydney Stack. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He just can't stay healthy enough to warrant a place on an AFL list. He's only 26, 27 later this year. If I was a club, I'd tell him to go play at the highest level he can physically manage, just enjoy playing football and if in doing so, he manages to play 15+ games with minimal calf issues, then I'd consider him at the end of next year. He's only played 2 AFL games for Freo in 4 years on their list, it's simply not enough to warrant a list spot.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Too risky for us on and off the field.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a risk, so was Sydney Stack. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    He’s about to have a baby (Harley) and is in a pretty good place off field.

Syd was never a risk.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He’s about to have a baby (Harley) and is in a pretty good place off field.

Syd was never a risk.
    Ok, perceived risk by recruiters.

Post Thanks / Like

If this latest surgery is successful would you give him a shot?

Bennell finds new calf guru, successful surgery identifies nerve issue

FORMER Docker and Sun Harley Bennell underwent surgery on his troublesome right calf in Brisbane last week as he bids to keep alive his AFL career.

Bennell officially parted ways with Fremantle a fortnight ago – after just two senior games in four seasons – but he hopes this latest operation will enable him to play consistently at the highest level.

The 26-year-old, who played 81 matches for Gold Coast, is back in Perth but will travel to Queensland again in the coming weeks to have further surgery on his left calf.

Renowned Geelong-based sports physiotherapist Peter Stanton, who helped remedy star Cat Tom Hawkins' back problems, is working closely with Bennell to solve his longstanding calf issues.

Stanton held leading roles at AFL clubs Brisbane and Geelong, was at the Australian Institute of Sport for a decade, attended three Olympic Games, and is considered a calf guru.

Bennell's surgery last week identified a nerve issue and involved removing muscle that was scarred and causing problems.

The operation was deemed a success.

Bennell previously sought treatment in Germany with world-leading expert Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt in 2016, and also worked with a ballet physiotherapist last year.

He was adamant after his Dockers exit that he wanted to find a third AFL club to extend his career into a 10th season, and his form at WAFL level suggested he still had plenty to give.

"I'm not retiring at this stage," Bennell said at the time.

"I'm going to work really hard on rehabbing my calf injury with a view to giving myself the chance to have another crack at playing for an AFL club.

"I firmly believe that I am capable of getting back out there and playing at the highest level."

Post Thanks / Like

Give him a basic salary with incentives and a clause about injuries. Let's do it

Post Thanks / Like

Give him a basic salary with incentives and a clause about injuries. Let's do it
    I'd at least let our surgeons, medico's and VU examine his calf. If they think he's cooked, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If they think there's a shot he get back playing consistently, then we could pick him up as a DFA. Then one question could be, do we give Porter a one year extension on minimal money, or delist Porter and give that spot to Bennell for initially for one year on basic money. Ideally, no one would move on him and we offer a summer training opportunity to him and then all being good after an extended time pick him up via the SSP. Even less risk.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023