Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Harley Bennell.

I've been salivating over Harley Bennell for years, and dreaming up schemes to get him to the Whitten oval.

Now, miracle of miracles,........he's actually available. He's actually on the market.

And to top it off, he's being cleared at 'scratch and dent sale' rates.

I think he fits one of our needs exactly.

A silky smooth, super fast, highly skilled, ball carrying, line breaking, goal kicking midfielder.

A former No 2 pick. Entering his prime. 185cm. Strong overhead.

Now, unlike say, Dayle Garlett, Bennell has been IN the system for 5 years now.
    5 years of pre seasons...5 years of dietary guidelines, 5 years of home and away senior AFL football. And In the broad scheme of things has generally coped with it all.

He's had 2 indiscretions. (that we know of) The first was in the off season, and if that photo wasn't leaked, maybe no one would ever have known about it, and I imagine there would be a lot of players doing stuff in the off season we don't know or hear about.

The second and most recent one seems to be pretty petty in my book. But probably reveals someone who needs a change of scenery. Someone who needs to move to a club with strong leadership. I don't know, maybe a team that boasts THE AFLPA CAPTAIN OF THE YEAR!?!?! And the man highly touted to be Coach of the year. And upstanding citizens like Boyd, Morris, Roughhead, under 22 CAPTAIN OF THE YEAR Jake Stringer, and a man who has already proven himself to be a socially minded leader, Young Master Bonti.

I, for one hope we chase Benell I would love to see him in the red white and blue.
    And would also be away to... how do I say this? 'back leverage' ourselves into the upper reaches of the 2010 draft.

2 Bennell
    22 Wallis
    41 Liberatore
    (trust me...you don't want me to list the rest of the names from that draft)

Please please please, fingers crossed. Bennell is an out and out superstar.
    GET............HIM!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

I think there will be a few clubs after him and he won't come cheaply.
    Everyone knows he's a quality player and they will all be thinking he's a bargain but will pay highly anyway.

So does that mean our "No D!#$heads" policy is done with?

Post Thanks / Like

He'll go to Collingwood - will fit in nicely there.

I'd take the risk. Seriously good player and as you say he ticks all the boxes and more. We are an attractive proposition now except I reckon the last thing he needs is to be dropped into the Melbourne fishbowl. GWS would be the spot for him if anywhere.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Everyone knows he's a quality player and they will all be thinking he's a bargain but will pay highly anyway.

The no dickheads policy was officially torched when we overpaid for Sherman. Before that it was only lip service anyway.

BMac's focus on good people was different and has had much better results. Not sure how Bevo wants to approach things.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not to sure he's a D!#$head.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be a better risk to take than Berger.

We would be required to trade for him which would make Dalrymple a sad panda.

Would the cost in draft picks and salary be better spent on a ready made KPP, either this year or next?

Post Thanks / Like

a few clubs have already stated they don't aim to pursue him, and he'll still come cheaper than if we were trying to prise him out of the joint. Would be nice to even the ledger for Harbrow as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree he is a supremely talented footballer who can play just about any non-KP role. But the fact that Eade & co are so keen to offload him has to be a worry.

If we could be sure that he would be a true professional in his approach to being a member of our team, I'd be prepared to offer our pick 11. We could also do with his 81 games experience, he's 23 yo at the start of next season.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Very talented footballer ... But Rocket and the powers that be at Cold Toast are not going to kick out a number 2 draft pick with this much potential for 2 indiscretions. There has to be way more to it than we know about.

It's a no for me
    WOOF Member 422

10. Likes Dry Rot, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not me me either, one bad apple spoils the crop.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big yes, but at the right price... Hugely talented player, who would slot in nicely to our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Very talented footballer ... But Rocket and the powers that be at Cold Toast are not going to kick out a number 2 draft pick with this much potential for 2 indiscretions. There has to be way more to it than we know about.

It's a no for me
    Agree, there's got to be more to it than the two indiscretions - trading out a number 2 pick in his prime and who is close to God's gift to football (on the field) indicates that perhaps they have decided that he is uncoachable or uncontrollable or something along those lines.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

he's the Fevola of the new generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Agree, there's got to be more to it than the two indiscretions - trading out a number 2 pick in his prime and who is close to God's gift to football (on the field) indicates that perhaps they have decided that he is uncoachable or uncontrollable or something along those lines.
    Or maybe that they just had to make a stand.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Perfect for our midfield/forward rotations.

Traditionally we haven't really been a club that pursues these 'troubled' types of players though, and given we have one already (Libba) I can't see us entertaining it.

I'd love to be wrong though - he'd make us a much better side.