Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They do need an injection of talent - so many plonkers in a top 4 team. Risk worth taking for a team like Freo, as they are almost last chance saloon next year under Lyon.
    Last chance saloon doors swung shut a few weeks ago. Lyon will never win a flag. This has been proven time and time again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Last chance saloon doors swung shut a few weeks ago. Lyon will never win a flag. This has been proven time and time again.
    Bullshit. The ball bounces a different way to the rapist and he has at least one.

The derision of Lyon as a coach is beginning to become asinine. What other coach could get his team comfortably to the top of the ladder, be live in a preliminary final until the 4th quarter, and have consistent, sustained success for near on a decade, and still be considered to not be getting the job done?

Just because it isn't pretty to watch, doesn't mean it isn't masterful. Lyon is a magnificent coach who has extracted the absolute most out of every situation he's been thrust into.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so either. His best chance he blew when he left Luke Ball on the bench for almost the entire last quarter of a Grand Final.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Bullshit. The ball bounces a different way to the rapist and he has at least one.
    The rape charges were dropped.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

The derision of Lyon as a coach is beginning to become asinine. What other coach could get his team comfortably to the top of the ladder, be live in a preliminary final until the 4th quarter, and have consistent, sustained success for near on a decade, and still be considered to not be getting the job done?

Just because it isn't pretty to watch, doesn't mean it isn't masterful. Lyon is a magnificent coach who has extracted the absolute most out of every situation he's been thrust into.
    The point that was being made is he won't win one, not that he could've but didn't. Fremantle's window is shutting if not shut, they might finish top 4 again next year, but seem unlikely to challenge. Lyon doesn't regenerate, and he doesn't develop youth, so unless he has a team ready to contend then it's unlikely a club would keep him around. Is another club likely to take him on knowing he's missed narrowly twice before, and will burn the furniture the pursuit, requiring a long and hard rebuild afterwards? Maybe, but just as likely maybe not.

If he doesn't get the right club to take the punt on him then there's every liklihood he won't win one.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    The indecent assaulting piece of human filth then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    The point that was being made is he won't win one, not that he could've but didn't. Fremantle's window is shutting if not shut, they might finish top 4 again next year, but seem unlikely to challenge. Lyon doesn't regenerate, and he doesn't develop youth, so unless he has a team ready to contend then it's unlikely a club would keep him around. Is another club likely to take him on knowing he's missed narrowly twice before, and will burn the furniture the pursuit, requiring a long and hard rebuild afterwards? Maybe, but just as likely maybe not.

If he doesn't get the right club to take the punt on him then there's every liklihood he won't win one.
    Agree he torched St Kilda, but is Fremantle's list really in that bad shape? He's gotten games into younger players like Neale and Sutcliffe, who are already seriously good players, as well as prospects like Taberner, Sheridan, and Pearce. Young-ish guys like Spurr, Walters, Ibbotson and Hill have really improved, and if they can land Bennell and McCarthy, their list, alongside Weller, has some really exciting young talent. Plus Fyfe is only 24.

I don't think their window is shutting at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Greystache for pointing out for me, what I meant. But I'll also try to defend against the assumption Happy Days made, just for good measure. Finals football, as we all painfully know, has no place for lucky bounces. Lyon-coached teams simply do not put the points on the scoreboard to give themselves any room for error. From a purely tactical and theoretical point of view, yes, I believe Lyon is a brilliant chess player. Footballers aren't chess pieces.

Fremantle have some serious talent. So did the Saints. Unfortunately, any natural individual instincts they have are quickly rubbed out in favour of the collective.

If it's of any interest, I hold the same opinion of Roos. His "lucky moment" simply came off for him in Leaping Leo's mark.

He pleaded to a lesser charge. Rape is an incredibly difficult charge to prove before a jury. Not guilty beyond all reasonable doubt does not equal innocent.

(I'm not a lawyer, I live with a prosecuting barrister, and that's the vast impression I get from many, many rape charges that get off because it boils down to he-said-she-said.)

Agree he torched St Kilda, but is Fremantle's list really in that bad shape? He's gotten games into younger players like Neale and Sutcliffe, who are already seriously good players, as well as prospects like Taberner, Sheridan, and Pearce. Young-ish guys like Spurr, Walters, Ibbotson and Hill have really improved, and if they can land Bennell and McCarthy, their list, alongside Weller, has some really exciting young talent. Plus Fyfe is only 24.

I don't think their window is shutting at all.
    I wonder how their list will look, however, by the time he gains "full support of the board" or gets poached by Essendon.

I'm really hoping Fremantle take Bennell. Reckon it'd be beautiful. He could hit the town with Dawson and spoil Lyon's love-child.

Post Thanks / Like

He pleaded to a lesser charge. Rape is an incredibly difficult charge to prove before a jury. Not guilty beyond all reasonable doubt does not equal innocent.

(I'm not a lawyer, I live with a prosecuting barrister, and that's the vast impression I get from many, many rape charges that get off because it boils down to he-said-she-said.)

He pleaded guilty to an indecent assault charge that was based on "he-said-she-said" evidence as you term it.

Innocent until proven guilty is the presumption at law.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is worth the risk. If it doesn't work out then piss him off. If it works, they have a potential A grader.
    That is a simplistic approach and there is a lot more too it than that. It could easily be as big as a distraction like Akermanis was and it could potentially flow in to issues with other players.
    It's not a cattle drive.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That is a simplistic approach and there is a lot more too it than that. It could easily be as big as a distraction like Akermanis was and it could potentially flow in to issues with other players.
    It's not a cattle drive.
    He could cause a lot of damage on the way through.

Post Thanks / Like

is Fremantle's list really in that bad shape?
    From our 2015 list, we had 5 players who played 3 games or less in their career. Freo had 13
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    From our 2015 list, we had 5 players who played 3 games or less in their career. Freo had 13
    I think that's semantics. Included in that are guys like Darley, Cordy, Goodes, Pearce who all totally sucked.

The REAL kings of not developing players are the Swans. Their total disregard for the ramifications of the salray cap has lead them to a ying yang list of overpriced guns (?) and absolute nobodies to make up the numbers; I don't even think half the guys on their list exist, and how about the blatant arrogance of playing Heeney under 2 names against GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's semantics. Included in that are guys like Darley, Cordy, Goodes, Pearce who all totally sucked.
    At least we know they suck at AFL level to turn them over. Freo aren't giving their kids a chance to make a call on them
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He pleaded guilty to an indecent assault charge that was based on "he-said-she-said" evidence as you term it.

Innocent until proven guilty is the presumption at law.
    Might be the presumption of law, but they buried the case( Stkilda fan lead the case)
    Smelt to high heaven