Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    There's a term in Economics relevant to this problem: Sunk costs.

It refers to what you have already spent/are required to spend on something being irrelevant to decisions about the future.

i.e. What you've already spent/invested on something should not be factored into whether you continue to spend/invest if you know its going to go nowhere.

Fremantle should forget about what they've already lost by taking Bennell on board. If he hasn't run out of chances now he never will.

Yep. Agreed. They have to stop chasing their losses like a gambler desperately trying to make good.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It refers to what you have already spent/are required to spend on something being irrelevant to decisions about the future.

i.e. What you've already spent/invested on something should not be factored into whether you continue to spend/invest if you know its going to go nowhere.

Fremantle should forget about what they've already lost by taking Bennell on board. If he hasn't run out of chances now he never will.
    You are correct in thinking money already spent is irrelevant. That is not recoverable.

It doesn't cost any more to walk away!!

Fremantle need to make decisions around what it will cost going forward and if it is worth the risk to continue.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

The standard you ignore is the standard you accept. IMO, Freo aren't winning anything anytime soon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Woolworths / master scenario .. Woolworths wanted another 3 years with masters but the shareholders said no we have already pumped to much money into it no more, thus the end of masters.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Woolworths / master scenario .. Woolworths wanted another 3 years with masters but the shareholders said no we have already pumped to much money into it no more, thus the end of masters.
    Correct. And Woolies was losing money hand over fist on Masters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Correct. And Woolies was losing money hand over fist on Masters.
    Last few weeks is the first time my shares have gone up since masters closed , it's been a long haul back.
    I actually want them to stay low as I buy some every week.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The standard you ignore is the standard you accept. IMO, Freo aren't winning anything anytime soon.

Correct. I tell my kids this-if you walk past then you agree with what you see-so often that I would be a hypocrite not to agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Last few weeks is the first time my shares have gone up since masters closed , it's been a long haul back.
    I actually want them to stay low as I buy some every week.
    Bloody share owning bourgeois!

Post Thanks / Like

There is also the "How good are they?" factor. The better the player, the more chances they get and the more their clubs and supporters are willing to put up with their bs. Bennell is a seriously talented player and "if" they can get him out on the field he is IMO Brownlow good. I'd maybe stick him in the "seemingly crap bloke/loose unit, seriously good player" pigeon hole with Dusty, Stringer, Cousins, Carey, etc.

On a side note, I was initially stunned by the Stringer reports and adamant we couldn't get rid of him but as it played out I quickly shifted. If we were desperate to get rid of someone with his upside he clearly had crossed his threshold of how good versus issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I commend Freo for standing him down for 8 weeks and implementing a fine. It's a strong final warning that can be sent to player.
    He basically has to pull his head in, and get as fit as he can or he opens the door for them to sack him.

As a club they've had issues with player culture for a while now and they would be well within their rights to sack a player to send a very strong message to the playing group.

As Comrade mentioned it's now time for them to not walk past issues with culture.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I commend Freo for standing him down for 8 weeks and implementing a fine. It's a strong final warning that can be sent to player.
    He basically has to pull his head in, and get as fit as he can or he opens the door for them to sack him.

As a club they've had issues with player culture for a while now and they would be well within their rights to sack a player to send a very strong message to the playing group.

As Comrade mentioned it's now time for them to not walk past issues with culture.
    It must be, what, the third or fourth final warning he has got. It's time for Freo to shit or get off the can.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct.

Masters was an act of lunacy from start to finish.

How they ever thought they were going to get a start-up to go head to head with Bunnings with little to no brand pwer backing them in their products is beyond me.

For every year they tried to make Masters work they set an exceptionally strong company back three years.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Its an excellent mantra to live by.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It must be, what, the third or fourth final warning he has got. It's time for Freo to shit or get off the can.
    He wouldn't have lasted nearly this long under Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post

That's the lesson we can take away from this pre-season.

Don't *!*!*!*! Bevo around. It doesn't matter who you THINK you are your arse will end up around your ankles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I'm not so sure, I suspect you are right but I was told that Bevo only got very serious with some of the players we were having issues with after that loss to Port at Ballarat. Once finals were out of reach he changed his tune.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"