Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I won't go into detail, but a very good source (I trust) says Khamis was actually given two years last year. The public info on these websites will default to one year as the standard rookie contract. It's simply that they don't have the info.

I'd bet the farm that will use Picks 13 & 53, La Young upgraded (over Pick 89) - no rookie draft picks or SSP.
    ok, thanks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bennell can't get on the field because of his constant injuries, why sign someone that can't get out there unless it's just for the sake of it?

4. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne in front running to draft him

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Another blow for Bennell and a tough break for him. It's nearly Feb and he's still not logging the K's and very much on a reduced training schedule. He's played 2 games since 2015 and badly needs continuity on the training track

Harley Bennell has broken down with yet another calf injury.

Bennell this week strained his troublesome left calf as he auditions for a fresh contract with Melbourne.

While the tear is only understood to be minor, it’s a potentially devastating blow for the injury-cursed midfielder, who is clinging to the possibility of securing a Demons contract under pre-season supplemental selection period rules.

Melbourne has been conscious of gently easing Bennell into its summer program, but the former Docker has still struggled to adapt.

Bennell hasn’t been able to clock big kilometres during training sessions, nor train with any intensity.

The goalkicking onballer, 27, hasn’t played since 2017 and has managed only two senior games since 2015 due to an endless string of calf tears on both legs.

He flew to Germany in 2016 to consult world-leading expert Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wolfhart.

Last year he underwent two rounds of surgery in Brisbane with renowned Geelong-based sports physiotherapist Peter Stanton, which had the Bennell camp confident the answer had been found.

Melbourne high performance boss Darren Burgess had given Bennell a light fitness program before he joins the club.

Bennell, his partner Amy and their infant daughter Carter Ivy shifted to Melbourne in November for the pre-season campaign

“There’s a bit of nervousness, but I’m also excited to be in Melbourne,” he told the Herald Sun in November.

“I feel comfortable here. We think this is the right place to be. Hopefully it all works out.”

He also told the Herald Sun he had no qualms with Fremantle’s medical team, which failed to fix his injured legs.

“I did my four years there, we tried everything, but I just needed a fresh start and a new set of eyes,” he says.

“It was miserable at times, suiting up and going to games.

“You want to be out there with your boots on, not sitting in the box watching on, because you know what you can do to help the team to win; and all I want to do is win.

“I hate losing.”

Meanwhile, young Melbourne forward Kade Chandler will be sidenlined for at least six weeks after breaking his wrist in a training drill.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel sorry for him with those injuries. He has tried so hard to get back.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne will give him a contract. Then they will wonder why they missed the finals for the 15th time out of the last 16 years or whatever it is.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It sucks that he's put so much effort into turning things around and his body is failing him. However what did Melbourne expect when they bought in a guy that has played two games in four years thanks to soft tissue injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It sucks that he's put so much effort into turning things around and his body is failing him. However what did Melbourne expect when they bought in a guy that has played two games in four years thanks to soft tissue injuries.
    It was a calculated decision and one that always carried a higher risk level on a couple of levels. I doubt they're in anyway surprised but would be hoping that he can turn it around from here

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne haven't contracted him yet, have they? So unlikely they will now. Bad timing for Harley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Melbourne haven't contracted him yet, have they? So unlikely they will now. Bad timing for Harley.
    No, he was training with them over summer in an effort to get drafted through the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period which runs from Dec-March.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

They have nothing to lose now. He can be given time at Casey to settle in an get over his injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been signed, it will be interesting to see how he goes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's been signed, it will be interesting to see how he goes
    Good luck to him - he has been an absolute drop kick by all accounts over his career but I see he is a young dad and is on his last chance and so perhaps he commits like he hasn’t done so in the past. He is an elite talent and could really bring an X factor to them

Post Thanks / Like

He has a lot to play for now. Hopefully the distractions he's faced throughout his career are a thing of the past.