Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's on the piss constantly. His biggest problem is he's a *!*!*!*!wit when he's on the piss, getting in everyone's face and trying to start punch ups. He's gets on the lines of white powder so he can be a *!*!*!*!wit for longer. His team mates go to great lengths to keep him out of trouble when he's on the turps, but eventually he wears out their patience and they leave him do his own thing and he ends up in trouble.

He shouldn't drink, period, but he won't listen.
    If that's the case, he needs to come to the realisation himself that he needs to stay off the gas otherwise he will lead an unfulfilled AFL career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If that's the case, he needs to come to the realisation himself that he needs to stay off the gas otherwise he will lead an unfulfilled AFL career.
    He needs to, absoloutely, but will he? Obviously GC think not after having tried a number of times to change his ways. The fact he couldn't even get through the first weekend of the off season without getting in trouble speaks volumes.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's on the piss constantly. His biggest problem is he's a *!*!*!*!wit when he's on the piss, getting in everyone's face and trying to start punch ups. He's gets on the lines of white powder so he can be a *!*!*!*!wit for longer. His team mates go to great lengths to keep him out of trouble when he's on the turps, but eventually he wears out their patience and they leave him do his own thing and he ends up in trouble.

He shouldn't drink, period, but he won't listen.
    Would be a great asset in a young impressionable side.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have him at the club, he is genuine class on the field maybe not off it though. Im hoping boys will be boys and he grows out of it, hoping the same with libba asweĺl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am certainly not sold on Bennell, even though I see that he has an abundance of talent.

Not sure there is sufficient evidence that he is prepared to do the team things and dedicate himself to being the best AFL player he can be. After 5 years at GC the problems in attitude may be beyond redemption.

I am also not convinced that he is tough enough at the contest. I recall that when we played GC in Darwin, DFA ended with a suspension simply because Bennell went to ground in a contest and refused to get up.

I hope we leave him to someone else.
    Totally agree.
    If he was a lesser player most on here would say sorry he isn't worth it because of his stuff ups. People are being seduced by his playing potential when in fact we should be considering if we have the environment and resources to get the most out of him. I don't think we should consider him unless someone can convince us that he his chances of stuffing up again is minimal and I doubt anyone could put their hand on their heart and say that with any confidence.

The fact that Eade is saying Bennell's sacking will finally get the message across to him means little to me and to be honest his endorsement rings the alarm bell that much louder with me.

He's probably a nice bloke when things are going well and I hope he makes a go of it. Do I want us to take the risk based on the information we currently have? A big no thanks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks The bulldog tragician, Cyberdoggie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having read the views posted on this thread and thought about it, I have gone right off recruiting Bennell. The very fact GCS are basically sacking him, with all the talent he has shown on the field, indicates that he must be incorrigible in his bad ways off it. Too high a risk. Whichever club takes him could be up for an in season sacking episode.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't MJP coach him? A few years back now
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Having read the views posted on this thread and thought about it, I have gone right off recruiting Bennell. The very fact GCS are basically sacking him, with all the talent he has shown on the field, indicates that he must be incorrigible in his bad ways off it. Too high a risk. Whichever club takes him could be up for an in season sacking episode.
    I hear what you're saying... but, somehow, I still think it's worth the risk. Maybe I'm a softie, but I think with the right environment he could come good. And the upside............Whoah, He's pretty special. And has proved it at AFL level too.
    It's a whole lot different than the Dayle Garlett scenario.
    Maybe I want it to happen just as much for Harley himself.
    If he can turn it around.........? What a role model.....What a hero. And I don't think he's so far down a bad path that it would take a Herculean effort either. Just some discipline, focus and support...........
    AND REWARDS TOO, DON'T FORGET.
    Playing to real crowds with a real football team in a real football city and surging up the ladder...surely that's gonna help his mental state

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth the risk for what he'll cost.

We have more pressing needs anyway.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I hear what you're saying... but, somehow, I still think it's worth the risk. Maybe I'm a softie, but I think with the right environment he could come good. And the upside............Whoah, He's pretty special. And has proved it at AFL level too.
    Are you certain we have the right environment and if so that we could protect it long term by taking risks?
    Why are you confident we could manage him well?
    He's not actually a victim of a GC culture he's just made bad decisions and we would need to make sure the chances of that happening again is minimal.

On a side note haven't clubs also lost sponsors when players stuff up?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see the price tag first. But a kid who has problems with saying no isn't in and of itself doesn't but him beyond redemption. I'm not sure why he is even being mentioned with Dayle Garlett, is it his skin colour? You could easily mention Gary Ablett Snr, of Liberatore Jnr after the end of last year. I wouldn't say no just yet, but see what's the price tag is.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I want to see the price tag first. But a kid who has problems with saying no isn't in and of itself doesn't but him beyond redemption.
    Assume it's our first round pick around the 11 to 15 bracket. What changes your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Not me me either, one bad apple spoils the crop.
    Is that why we did so well with Libba out of the team this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I want to see the price tag first. But a kid who has problems with saying no isn't in and of itself doesn't but him beyond redemption. I'm not sure why he is even being mentioned with Dayle Garlett, is it his skin colour? You could easily mention Gary Ablett Snr, of Liberatore Jnr after the end of last year. I wouldn't say no just yet, but see what's the price tag is.
    Why wouldn't Dayle Garlett be used as a comparator. On ability he was probably the best in the nation, but he failed on attitude at a very young age. Isn't that almost where Bennell is now. I know he is older with a few years in the system, but why would his club be getting rid of him if the situation was manageable.

Ablett snr is a different case from a different time and his move to Geelong allowed him to be the footballer he became. Perhaps that environment may suit Harley.

Libba jnr does not seem as serious and he has certainly not (yet) exhausted the patience of his club.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Assume it's our first round pick around the 11 to 15 bracket. What changes your thoughts?
    The draft pick is only part of the cost. What is the salary implication and its impact on the total player payment.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If that's the price tag, then that's a club call for me. As this is a hyperthetical, I am going with Talia or Hrovat getting us a trade from second round into first. So if we had a couple of picks 11-19... Then perhaps we keep 11 and trade 17 for him? If we got a ruckman through other means to high trade picks, then I'd have a think about him. If Aish or Rich were available then I am into them more. I guess I'm keeping an open mind to see what's around and cost.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023