Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm only interested in why so many think Bennell is worth the risk. I disagree with your opinion on the severity of his struggles because I don't believe he has grasped how serious his actions will impact him and his club.

On talent alone, clubs should be willing to part with a first round pick to get him and it would be a bargain but of course there are many other things to consider. Clubs need to look past his talent and be confident they can help him which is not an easy thing to do.
    On talent alone, DG should've gone way before the Hawks pick 32. But it's not about talent alone as I think we all agree. I'm sure we have some banking or insurance posters who can explain a matrix of risk against investment and reward. He may be worth pick 11. But his off field issues might push the risk tolerance ordinarily to around late early second/third round recently Tutt, Fuller, Pearce. I.e. There's no guarantee the drafted kid will be any good. Perhaps then it's splitting pick 11 and pick 45 as the extremes of on and off field thresholds. Perhaps we get offered late 20's for a Hrovat or Talia. Perhaps he nominates us and demands GCS do the deal or walk in the PSD and scares competition away. At pick 25 is he worth the risk? Probably.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    On talent alone, DG should've gone way before the Hawks pick 32. But it's not about talent alone as I think we all agree. I'm sure we have some banking or insurance posters who can explain a matrix of risk against investment and reward. He may be worth pick 11. But his off field issues might push the risk tolerance ordinarily to around late early second/third round recently Tutt, Fuller, Pearce. I.e. There's no guarantee the drafted kid will be any good. Perhaps then it's splitting pick 11 and pick 45 as the extremes of on and off field thresholds. Perhaps we get offered late 20's for a Hrovat or Talia. Perhaps he nominates us and demands GCS do the deal or walk in the PSD and scares competition away. At pick 25 is he worth the risk? Probably.
    If we were to be confident his problems were just that of a naughty boy then it's no good being half in.
    We can't be cute and use his past to negotiate a lesser deal because it then sends the wrong message to the player and the public.
    If it's yes then we need to expect to cough up something substantial to get him and accept that it comes with baggage and risk however, if we are unsure then even our last pick in the draft is too high.

We can't dilly dally about pick 11, 17 or something else. He's a top end talent and if we are prepared to take the risk (I wouldn't) we should be prepared to go hard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If we were to be confident his problems were just that of a naughty boy then it's no good being half in.
    We can't be cute and use his past to negotiate a lesser deal because it then sends the wrong message to the player and the public.
    If it's yes then we need to expect to cough up something substantial to get him and accept that it comes with baggage and risk however, if we are unsure then even our last pick in the draft is too high.

We can't dilly dally about pick 11, 17 or something else. He's a top end talent and if we are prepared to take the risk (I wouldn't) we should be prepared to go hard.
    Ultimately 'the market' will decide his value, and his past indiscretions will certainly play a role in deciding that value.

If someone else bids more than we're prepared to bid, then so be it.
    If we have a player lined up in the draft we're confident of getting with our first pick, who we think is worth more to us than Bennell.......then don't trade that pick. If we think Bennell for that pick is worth doing then do it.

Someone may still outbid us......... Nothing we can do about that.

UNLESS Bennell nominates us as the club he wants to go to........somehow those deals always seem to get done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    At pick 25 is he worth the risk? Probably.
    He would be a steal at pick 25.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure he will learn any lessons out of this either. If anything he we gain by moving from a small club to a larger one and probably on a better salary. Where is the life lesson learned or realization that it could all disappear?

If he has an addiction or addictive personality then it's not going to stop unless he takes a stand, and that often comes with a realization of what you have lost as a result of your actions. I just don't see that occurring and he seems to be still on that downward curve.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many risks for me. Pass
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Having read about Bennell's last indiscretion, apparently the club sent a minder to look after him. Bennell spent half the night trying to slip the minder, eventually did so and then almost immediately started creating enough of a ruckus to get the police involved.

Given the apparent sincerity of his media interviews only a few weeks earlier, about how much he owes the club and how much he wants to repay them and prove his worth, his lack of self control is pretty chronic. I'd be passing on him.

I've got nothing against the guy. I love watching him play and hope he gets to a good club and does well. From what I can see, he's not for us right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I hear what you're saying... but, somehow, I still think it's worth the risk. Maybe I'm a softie, but I think with the right environment he could come good. And the upside............Whoah, He's pretty special. And has proved it at AFL level too.
    It's a whole lot different than the Dayle Garlett scenario.
    Maybe I want it to happen just as much for Harley himself.
    If he can turn it around.........? What a role model.....What a hero. And I don't think he's so far down a bad path that it would take a Herculean effort either. Just some discipline, focus and support...........
    AND REWARDS TOO, DON'T FORGET.
    Playing to real crowds with a real football team in a real football city and surging up the ladder...surely that's gonna help his mental state
    I don't know much about how the trading system works, but my feeling is that we would have to go with our 1st round pick (currently 11) to secure him. If we take the attitude that the reward is worth the risk, then so be it.

I do feel that if we could trade in one or two very good players in the 23-25 year age bracket with around 100 games experience it would be good for our player profile because our list is very young and inexperienced and 3 of the small number of players we have with 4 seasons or more senior experience are close to retirement - next year could be the last for Morris and Matt Boyd. I guess that is why Bennell being on the market caught my attention. He is very very good (on the field), has 81 games experience and is 23 yo.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone on bigfooty said one of his problems if he is so talented that coaches tend to give him a pass, so he hasnt learned to respect limits - like a bratty kid with slack parents I assume he meant.

Bev doesnt give passes, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Still a big hell yeah for me.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Still a big hell yeah for me.
    What would you be agreeable to part with to land him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Our Natural Pick 29 (less drop downs) and Talia. If the latter and Adelaide want that trade to happen then it's three way trade, or GCS make an offer to Talia. Even Minson could factor if that random GWS trade rumour was true. Swap Minson and pick 29 for 25 (47 and 43).

Then 25 and Talia on the table with Adelaide in on the conversation if they want to be. Pick 13 down to 25 for Talia isn't completely out of the realms. Pick 13 onto GCS to go trading with.

Adelaide: Get 25 and another Key Defender (boy they really need one with a big opposition forward line), brothers, schooled Walker. It's a sellable story to the members. I can see a rational for it, still have a top 25 pick and may get 14 for Dangerfield. They could even keep 13 and use 14 to trade and only go down 11 spots.

GCS: Get pick 14 for him after sacking him. I could believe that. (If they go after Lynch from the Crows, perhaps keeping pick 25 and getting Lynch. Adelaide keep pick 14?)

Dogs: Keep pick 11, lose 29 (come 25), Talia and Minson. Get Bennell. I could live with that too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think Minson Is going anywhere. I think he is our only ruckman and his endeavour and build are ahead of anyone else on our list.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I honestly don't think Minson Is going anywhere. I think he is our only ruckman and his endeavour and build are ahead of anyone else on our list.
    Now Bellchambers and Kruezer are staying at their clubs, that only really leaves Luenberger as a threat to him staying. Campbell and Roughead with Ayce and Minson gone would be a crazy position. On that basis, you may be right.

Post Thanks / Like

Having read your earlier post I think you are right. We give them our first round pick because that's what he is worth on football talent and that's what we are paying for. The baggage is what it is. But it's not really part of the transaction because we don't want it to be part of the formula and GCS are hoping to ignore it because it can only deflate his value.

If we pay a second rounder then he gets a pass if he mucks up because it hasn't cost us as much. If we want him then no mucking around our first rounder and we have a gun. It's up to us to keep a lid on the behaviours.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Drunken Bum, 1eyedog liked this post