Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  44
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley Bennell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Heath Shaw was a bit of a party animal at the pies. Having retired, gave an interview where he credited the Swans with turning him around. Pretty servicable over the journey. If we want to be a top team, we have to be able to put guys on the right track.
    Heath Shaw went to GWS. Both the Shaws were playing in GFs at Collingwood in a mature group. Rhyce never left Collingwood for behavioural reasons, just needed a change after stinking it up in 2 GFs. Not sure example applies here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If we want to be a top team, we have to be able to put guys on the right track.
    Fair enough, although you need the right guys first.

I'm all for the club looking at Bennell and seeing if he is the "right guy", but it's a big risk and not taking in doesn't mean we don't qualify as a top team.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Reward might be the missing ingredient for a premiership.
    Perhaps, but I just see it as too great a risk.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Heath Shaw went to GWS. Both the Shaws were playing in GFs at Collingwood in a mature group. Rhyce never left Collingwood for behavioural reasons, just needed a change after stinking it up in 2 GFs. Not sure example applies here.
    I think the pies wanted to break up that group, whom were called the "rat pack".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Perhaps, but I just see it as too great a risk.
    What is the risk? If he is no good, you then get rid of him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surely it is not that simple.

If he stuffs up he creates a whole lot of issues. Do you remember Allan Jakovich?
    There is potential to disenchant the existing playing list or parts of it.

He also takes salary, a list spot and probably a quality draft pick that could be used on someone identified as a long term preospect. Dalrymple is going pretty well at that.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

If he stuffs up he creates a whole lot of issues. Do you remember Allan Jakovich?

He also takes salary, a list spot and probably a quality draft pick that could be used on someone identified as a long term preospect. Dalrymple is going pretty well at that.
    On the flip side, he could turn out to be an absolute star and match winner for us.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On the flip side, he could turn out to be an absolute star and match winner for us.
    Yes he could, and he could also prove to be beyond redemption with his issues.

I just don't see that we need to stretch for him, when we already have Libba coming back next year.

We did actually perform pretty well in 2015 and our most pressing need is not solved by Harley Bennell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Any idea whether Brett Goodes will fall back into his former player welfare manager role? Could be a handy bloke to help Bennell transition.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Any idea whether Brett Goodes will fall back into his former player welfare manager role? Could be a handy bloke to help Bennell transition.
    Have not seen anything on Brett Goodes in relation to that. I thought Prismall was on the payroll in that category.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a really good point. He seemed to be quite regarded when he was previously working in that capacity with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It's a really good point. He seemed to be quite regarded when he was previously working in that capacity with us.
    I'm happy to have Bennell I think, but we'd need to set some pretty strict guidelines. I almost think he needs a full time player welfare manager for his first year at the club, and it makes sense for that person to be Indigenous. I think a longer-term deal is a risky proposition, but if we're right into him it may be the only way to attract him.

For mine I just can't see him coming to Melbourne. I actually think coming to Melbourne is a risky proposition in itself for him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get him for a one or two year deal so how much do you want him? There will be a club prepared to offer 3 years and that's pretty risky. If it doesn't work out it could be risky a million times over.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get him for a one or two year deal so how much do you want him? There will be a club prepared to offer 3 years and that's pretty risky. If it doesn't work out it could be risky a million times over.
    the contract would have to be structured such that any criminal activity (for example), or other stupid acts nullifies the contract.

On Bulldogjoes point about Libba coming back, I see Bennell as an outside player being fed the ball by Wallis, Libba and Bont.

Anyway, does anyone really know Bennell's story?

Post Thanks / Like

the contract would have to be structured such that any criminal activity (for example), or other stupid acts nullifies the contract.

On Bulldogjoes point about Libba coming back, I see Bennell as an outside player being fed the ball by Wallis, Libba and Bont.

Anyway, does anyone really know Bennell's story?

It's still developing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite