Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 2016 team

I created the 2018 team thread, here is one for our next real game. I guess something to think about with trade period too.

B: Wood, Roberts, Morris
    HB: M.Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
    C: Picken, Wallis, Macrae
    HF: Stevens, Crameri, Dahlhaus
    F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson
    R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    I/C: Hunter, Johannisen, Biggs, Daniel
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a few things:
    - Ruck/key defenders obviously a bit of a gap, Roughy being quality would be massive.
    - Libba straight into the side I would think. Elite players are elite! Stevens joining him as well as another pre-season for the kids should help in the engine room.
    - Tom/Redpath exchangeable near end of year. The quality of our small-medium forwards will make it a sacrifice to play both, they will need to be in much better form to rationalize it.
    - It's going to be hard for Grant to get the contract he wants. McLean not listed in that 22. Honeychurch and Dale right in the wing/forward mix as well.
    Last edited by Rocco Jones; 19-09-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 team

Good team. A few discussion points for mine:

- Do the 4 interchange allow for 1 tall on the bench for added flexibility, probably either Campbell or Redpath.
    - Would love to get Maclean into the starting 22. Of the established players, the one I have a bit of a query on is M.Boyd, with Murph and Morris already down back. Just wonder if JJ or Biggs starting may be the way to go moving forwards.
    - Big ???? right now is what trade brings (presumably no draftees will be straight into best 22).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Good team. A few discussion points for mine:

- Do the 4 interchange allow for 1 tall on the bench for added flexibility, probably either Campbell or Redpath.
    - Would love to get Maclean into the starting 22. Of the established players, the one I have a bit of a query on is M.Boyd, with Murph and Morris already down back. Just wonder if JJ or Biggs starting may be the way to go moving forwards.
    - I think we will greater quality running depth so it would be a bit of a sacrifice to play another tall.
    - Who starts/on the bench is largely semantics these days. With the need for rotations/resting, they pretty much play very similar minutes anyway. Looking at my side, there are 8 guys who mainly play back. If they are to play together, they need to make up about half a game time on ground elsewhere (probably JJ, Biggs up on a wing for a bit, Bob pinch hitting up forward...very minimal time if shared).

Post Thanks / Like

Team balance wise it would be greater if Biggs and/or JJ could add a bit more to their game and play more minutes further up the ground.

Thing is though, with Boyd and Bob in the twilight of their careers, Biggs and JJ will definitely be needed in their seemingly preferred roles. Add Webb to that mix. Zaine Cordy for Dale Morris hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    - I think we will greater quality running depth so it would be a bit of a sacrifice to play another tall.
    - Who starts/on the bench is largely semantics these days. With the need for rotations/resting, they pretty much play very similar minutes anyway. Looking at my side, there are 8 guys who mainly play back. If they are to play together, they need to make up about half a game time on ground elsewhere (probably JJ, Biggs up on a wing for a bit, Bob pinch hitting up forward...very minimal time if shared).
    I guess what I was saying is that if a kid like Maclean, for example, has a preseason that just demands selection, the senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable.

The tall 4th I/C option will be interesting. I have an open mind, but am sure some will teams will try it, especially given only 90 I/C available anyway, so running rotations can be managed through 3 of the bench. May even make a Z.Cordy an attractive option for the bench.

Post Thanks / Like

The senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable
    People were saying that this time last year, and he's made the AA squad
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    People were saying that this time last year, and he's made the AA squad
    That's a fair point, and I respect the hell out of him, just trying to look at things objectively and see where opportunities may come for our younger players. Given the make up of our squad, to me he is vulnerable.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I was saying is that if a kid like Maclean, for example, has a preseason that just demands selection, the senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable.

The tall 4th I/C option will be interesting. I have an open mind, but am sure some will teams will try it, especially given only 90 I/C available anyway, so running rotations can be managed through 3 of the bench. May even make a Z.Cordy an attractive option for the bench.
    As much as I loved Matthew Boyd, I long believed he was somewhat overrated. Racked up a lot of ineffective disposals in the midfield while his opponents would cut us up. This year has just about been the opposite for mine. Does the defensive work, gets intercept marks and lots of quality disposal down back. I think his season has been elite in terms of his position/role.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocco. Interesting looking at your selection and thinking about who is not in the team from a depth perspective. Redpath, Minson, Campbell, Jong, Hrovat, Talia and Grant (I am assuming both will stay), McLean, Webb, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale, Z Cordy.

That's 35 players including your 22. Then we have Hamilton yet to play a game.

It will be interesting to see how we fill the 3 existing spots on the list. And then there are the 3 rookie spots.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Thanks Rocco. Interesting looking at your selection and thinking about who is not in the team from a depth perspective. Redpath, Minson, Campbell, Jong, Hrovat, Talia and Grant (I am assuming both will stay), McLean, Webb, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale, Z Cordy.

That's 35 players including your 22. Then we have Hamilton yet to play a game.

It will be interesting to see how we fill the 3 existing spots on the list. And then there are the 3 rookie spots.
    Beveridge loves rotating players. With rotations and injuries, the 25-26th players will almost certainly play more often than not. For mine...
    Redpath= competing with Tom Boyd
    Minson, Campbell and Talia= big like this year. Competing for spots where we are quite weak. If they are good enough, they get a game.
    Jong, McLean, Webb, Grant and Honeychurch= in that 23-27th picked zone
    Dale and Zaine= development players
    Prudden= playing for survival

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge loves rotating players. With rotations and injuries, the 25-26th players will almost certainly play more often than not. For mine...
    Redpath= competing with Tom Boyd
    Minson, Campbell and Talia= big like this year. Competing for spots where we are quite weak. If they are good enough, they get a game.
    Jong, McLean, Webb, Grant and Honeychurch= in that 23-27th picked zone
    Dale and Zaine= development players
    Prudden= playing for survival
    I appreciate that analysis - and I forgot Clay Smith. Not sure when he is due back but I think this time he really has to wait until he is cherry ripe (I am assuming he pushed to come back as early as possible). He looked good the few games he played this year and is a contrasting type to the rest of our medium sized players.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate that analysis - and I forgot Clay Smith. Not sure when he is due back but I think this time he really has to wait until he is cherry ripe (I am assuming he pushed to come back as early as possible). He looked good the few games he played this year and is a contrasting type to the rest of our medium sized players.
    Such a hard one. I think we gave him a mini pre-season and had his really read before playing in the VFL. He then dominated was straight in. Some were critical of him playing in the AFL so quickly but the previous knee injury occurred in a VFL game. The time between his injury and playing was 9 months last time. A similar recovery time would mean would be ready for NAB Challenge games.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a hard one. I think we gave him a mini pre-season and had his really read before playing in the VFL. He then dominated was straight in. Some were critical of him playing in the AFL so quickly but the previous knee injury occurred in a VFL game. The time between his injury and playing was 9 months last time. A similar recovery time would mean would be ready for NAB Challenge games.
    I don't know much about those injuries at all. I was just presuming that if he waits a bit longer, his knee will be even stronger. But what do I know?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about those injuries at all. I was just presuming that if he waits a bit longer, his knee will be even stronger. But what do I know?
    I have no idea. I would be shocked if we rushed him back but eventually there comes a time (literally!) were waiting any longer is pointless. He has down it 3 times, cold reality is that it will be a risk anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes 12 months for the graft to reach full strength. Any earlier is an additional risk
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff