Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 team

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    ED, lets not get distracted with the ruck situation beyond round one. I am sure there are multiple threads on this topic.
    Yes fair enough azabob. While this is an issue for us there are plenty of other areas on the field which we look real solid.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

JJ, Suckling, Murphy and Biggs should give us plenty of run and distribution by foot from half back and wing

And they're all somewhat interchangeable parts

i view all as ideally being in our best 22

Post Thanks / Like

The selections suggest we'll use the plan from our final last year; back ourselves to use the ball better than our opposition. Fast transition to create a loose player all the way through the sticks. The problems were out-the-back-Eddy and Taylor Walker out competing us although we still should've won.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Can't see Macrae being played as a forward. He's useless there.

Big test for Roughead, possibly make or break.

I would have had Hamling in at CHB, Wood to his customary HBF, Suckers to the bench at the expense of Dunkley.
    I'm thinking Macrae on the left flank where he is selected can centre into a free player with his dinky little lefties and his peripheral vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I'm thinking Macrae on the left flank where he is selected can centre into a free player with his dinky little lefties and his peripheral vision.
    BIDS, he can do that in the middle half as wing, centre of ruck rover - positions he is good at. As a forward, I reckon he won't go well because he never contests a mark (not his style, he sets up for the spill), no right foot for snaps, terrible set shot and mediocre running shot at goal on his natural foot. Stevens would be a much better option at half forward.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    BIDS, he can do that in the middle half as wing, centre of ruck rover - positions he is good at. As a forward, I reckon he won't go well because he never contests a mark (not his style, he sets up for the spill), no right foot for snaps, terrible set shot and mediocre running shot at goal on his natural foot. Stevens would be a much better option at half forward.
    Get where you're coming from. He's an outside accumulator who "processes' the ball, giving it off by hand or with a kick of less than 30m. He has improved his tackling and inside game. His height is mainly good for strength in the contest, not so much for marking. I think his awkward kicking style is still very effective and he works hard to be in the right position to offer an option. His skill set seems more suited to the middle but hopefully Bevo has seen something important he can do on a forward flank.
    Just kick it to Tom I say, Tom Boyd that is, target extraordinaire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Get where you're coming from. He's an outside accumulator who "processes' the ball, giving it off by hand or with a kick of less than 30m. He has improved his tackling and inside game. His height is mainly good for strength in the contest, not so much for marking. I think his awkward kicking style is still very effective and he works hard to be in the right position to offer an option. His skill set seems more suited to the middle but hopefully Bevo has seen something important he can do on a forward flank.
    Just kick it to Tom I say, Tom Boyd that is, target extraordinaire.
    We'd be wasting Macrazy at half-forward, so I would not expect to see him line up there. And I reckon that if we go long to Big Boyd instead of some of those too cute shallower deliveries into the 50m zone, much better option. So I'm with you, BIDS.

Post Thanks / Like

Z. Cordy has replaced Redpath as an emergency which is ...interesting. I know both played today so probably nothing in it, but might be a cloud over one of the defenders. More MC shenanigans.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Z. Cordy has replaced Redpath as an emergency which is ...interesting. I know both played today so probably nothing in it, but might be a cloud over one of the defenders. More MC shenanigans.
    Redpath got reported today, would that have anything to do with it?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Redpath got reported today, would that have anything to do with it?
    Wouldn't have thought that it'd effect his ability to play tomorrow
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Wouldn't have thought that it'd effect his ability to play tomorrow
    He has only been reported not suspended so I wouldn't think so. Could he still play tomorrow or will Bevo leave it for another week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

We should really know by now not to question the match committee. Since Beveridge has arrived we have made some very brave and odd selections, but they have almost always worked.

Todays lineup was perfect, and Freo's tall blokes were all incredibly ineffective.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt pre-match this would be a similar game to the North Melbourne match last year, but I overestimated Freo's talls.

They could actually be in a world of pain this year. They just don't have the key forwards that require big defenders to man them, but they also lack pace on every line so you can go short and quick across the ground and run them off their feet.

Good teams will match up accordingly.

My hunch is Freo to be a fair slider this year...and Jesse Hogan to be the highest paid player in the game when he signs with them post season.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I felt pre-match this would be a similar game to the North Melbourne match last year, but I overestimated Freo's talls.

They could actually be in a world of pain this year. They just don't have the key forwards that require big defenders to man them, but they also lack pace on every line so you can go short and quick across the ground and run them off their feet.

Good teams will match up accordingly.

My hunch is Freo to be a fair slider this year...and Jesse Hogan to be the highest paid player in the game when he signs with them post season.
    I share your hunch, Freo were probably straight on the phone to Hogan's agent after the final siren.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for stats on Marcus Adams debut in Round 1, 2016 I read the team sheet and realised again just how much change we've had in four years to our best 22 for Round 1. A 50% turnover.

11 Remain: Bonts, Suckling, McLean, Dunkley, Libba, JJ, Macrae, Daniel, Wallis, Hunter, Wood
    11 Gone: Stringer (Ess), Adams (Bris), Roughy (Coll), Dahl (Geel), Stevens (StK), T. Boyd & Biggs (early ret), Bob, Glove, Picko, M. Boyd

We are young, but we are also new.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes azabob liked this post