Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 team

Looks a strong team on paper - have to agree with some other posters that McLean needs to be in the 22, but equally not sure whose spot he takes - possibly Daniel on the bench
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Looks a strong team on paper - have to agree with some other posters that McLean needs to be in the 22, but equally not sure whose spot he takes - possibly Daniel on the bench
    Yep, I wanted him in but who do you drop? Thing is, teams never play their best 22. Like I mentioned earlier, we will have injuries and even if they are minimal, Beveridge loves his rotations.

23rd-25th picked will easily get the same amount of games as Grant did this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to Libba coming back and saw when he got injured at the WO which dampened the day. How will he manage with Bevo's game style as he hasn't really played probably under Bevo in a home and away season match?

Also what are your thoughts Rocco on Clay Smith? I hope he can make it in the team and not get injuries.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Team balance wise it would be greater if Biggs and/or JJ could add a bit more to their game and play more minutes further up the ground.
    I think Biggs has the capacity to play further up the ground and take his turn running through the midfield. More so than JJ.

He has shown ability to run and create, but he doesn't need to do it from behind the play, where as I think JJ is more suited to watching the play ahead and intercept and run and create from inside the defensive 50.

I think Matt Boyd will also naturally get less games and game time in 2016 as will Dale Morris.

From out of the team above we need the likes of Cordy, Webb, Prudden to keep pushing and improving.

Either way, I look forward to match committee in 2016 and many more head scratching team selections!!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If Tom Boyd comes on after another preseason, would it be possible to look at Big Red playing CHB. With another preseason to build his tank and some more self belief that comes from regular games, could he be worth trialling picking up the gorillas some teams have in their forward line. His marking doesn't seem good enough for forward line, but if he picked up some more agility and stamina I could see him impacting at least creating a contest with the big marking forwards. Anyone know if he has spent time down back at any stage in his career? The more he plays the better he will get I think and gives us an out if Boyd drops off at any stage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Also what are your thoughts Rocco on Clay Smith? I hope he can make it in the team and not get injuries.
    OK let me start with the cliche 'I'm no doctor' line. I would say surely we wait the maximum time to be safe but surely we do that with any player who does his knee.

The thing I do know (arguably) something about is his form when he comes back. He goes straight into being dominant at VFL level. I would make sure that not only his knee is right but that he is running out games in the VFL strongly. He is so competitive that he can dominant VFL with his tank not at full capacity. Really need to make sure he is right in every area. In his few AFL games this year, he seemed to struggle to run out the games.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been calling for Redpath to play back for 18 months, now. I think he'd be very, very handy down there.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think Biggs has the capacity to play further up the ground and take his turn running through the midfield. More so than JJ.

He has shown ability to run and create, but he doesn't need to do it from behind the play, where as I think JJ is more suited to watching the play ahead and intercept and run and create from inside the defensive 50.
    Yep. Thing is we got Biggs as a run with midfielder type. He naturally finds the ball which helps him up the field.

JJ is more of a linebreaker and can have trouble finding the ball/go missing for chunks which is a big issue if you're playing up the field. Did well against North up the field IRC though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I've been calling for Redpath to play back for 18 months, now. I think he'd be very, very handy down there.
    I don't mind that suggestion at all. Perhaps he needs to work on his tank a bit more but I'd like to see him tried there in the off season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure he is a centre square type player and I'd question his kicking skills under pressure. It's a work towards option for mine.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure he is a centre square type player and I'd question his kicking skills under pressure. It's a work towards option for mine.
    Yep, not an inside player. I've described him as outer ring before. Very Gerrard Healy of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    From memory did he spend some time down back in the VFL?

Is he quick agile enough? Certainly strong and big enough.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

From memory did he spend some time down back in the VFL?

Is he quick agile enough? Certainly strong and big enough.
    He did, and every time we needed goals, he was moved forward. Long game from an AFL viewpoint would've been to keep him down back. He's not quite AFL forward standard, but I think he's got potential to be an A grade defender at AFL level. One who can play a swingman role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I appreciate that analysis - and I forgot Clay Smith. Not sure when he is due back but I think this time he really has to wait until he is cherry ripe (I am assuming he pushed to come back as early as possible). He looked good the few games he played this year and is a contrasting type to the rest of our medium sized players.
    He went through a very conservatile rehab and they nursed him back. If anything it was on the conservative side.

I think McLean will command a spot based on his pre-season form. As they say in Hollywood this kid's gonna be a star.

Agree with Redpath back and can see him filling a Daniel Merret type role for us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my version of our 2016 Premiership team compared to 2015 Premiership side
    B. Stratton/Morris Lake/? Frawley/Wood
    HB Birchall/M Boyd Gibson/Hambling Burgoyne/Murphy
    C. Hill/Johannisen Mitchell/Libba Shiels/Jong
    HF Rioli/Bonti Schoen/Redpath Smith/Hunter
    F. Bruest/Dickson Rough/T Boyd Puopolo/Dahlhaus
    Foll McEvoy/Rough Hodge/Stringer Lewis/Stevens
    Inter Suckling/Macrae Duryea/Wallis Hale/Campbell Gunston/Crameri
    Tried to match player with player, taking our upside into account. No match for big backman (in this case Lake) Sorry Liam Picken