Re: Round 1 2016 team

B. Stratton/Morris Lake/Roberts Frawley/Hamling
    HB Birchall/M Boyd Gibson/Wood Burgoyne/Murphy
    C. Hill/Johannisen Mitchell/Libba Shiels/Wallis
    HF Rioli/Hunter Schoen/Stringer Smith/Macrae
    F. Bruest/Dickson Rough/T Boyd Puopolo/Dahlhaus
    Foll McEvoy/Roughead Hodge/Bonti Lewis/Stevens
    Inter Suckling/Biggs Duryea/Picken Hale/Redpath Gunston/Crameri

Biggs, Picken & Roberts in for Campbell, Jong & ?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post

You already have Roberts in bro-ster.

EDIT - sorry, just got what you were trying to do.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Roberts is in Lakes' class. Look how Tex ragdolled him in final. Wouldn't have done that to Lake. It's about matching up our potential with the premiership blueprint. I feel that we lack a big stopper in defence, otherwise we are very close to finally winning one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    I don't think Roberts is in Lakes' class. Look how Tex ragdolled him in final. Wouldn't have done that to Lake. It's about matching up our potential with the premiership blueprint. I feel that we lack a big stopper in defence, otherwise we are very close to finally winning one.
    Just matching up player types as close as I could to give an insight as to where we might be lacking
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Just matching up player types as close as I could to give an insight as to where we might be lacking
    Gotcha!

Post Thanks / Like

That's very unfair. Lake at 22 was being comprehensively beaten by players like Matthew Richardson and would still occasionally get beaten by players like Fevola later on, for example. I'm not saying Roberts will be as good as Lake but it's too early to say one way or another how good Roberts will be.

Walker was also well held in the final. You'd give up those marks outside 50 and normally be fine. He took an important mark on the wing (or pushed Roberts out depending on perspective) but was more a player who took what opportunities came rather than tearing the game apart

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's very unfair. Lake at 22 was being comprehensively beaten by players like Matthew Richardson and would still occasionally get beaten by players like Fevola later on, for example. I'm not saying Roberts will be as good as Lake but it's too early to say one way or another how good Roberts will be.

Walker was also well held in the final. You'd give up those marks outside 50 and normally be fine. He took an important mark on the wing (or pushed Roberts out depending on perspective) but was more a player who took what opportunities came rather than tearing the game apart
    My point was how the premiership team is NOW compared to our team NOW and maybe next season. I firmly believe we definitely need a gorilla defender for the big forwards. I was using the premiers as a template. Other than that I reckon with another pre season our list is comparable and on the way to being our second premiership team if all goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

My point was how the premiership team is NOW compared to our team NOW and maybe next season. I firmly believe we definitely need a gorilla defender for the big forwards.
    I was responding to the above quote which refered to potential. If we're talking potential then I believe Roberts can be the Gorilla handler we need. He even did a good job this year before his injury.

I will say it's a strange one to single out though as there are also the comparisons of Hamling/Frawley, J Roughead/T Boyd Lewis/Stevens and Hale/Redpath who are similarly outclassed based purely on current ability

Post Thanks / Like

All I know so far is Suckling and Libber are into that finals team. Most likely Koby and is Smith gets fit and in form he's best 22 as well.

That's a big improvement to that finals team, with of course Roughy & JJ.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B: Wood, Roberts, Morris
    HB: M.Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
    C: Picken, Wallis, Macrae
    HF: Stevens, Crameri, Dahlhaus
    F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson
    R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    I/C: Suckling, Hunter, Johannisen, Biggs
    -----------------------------------------------
    A fair bit of rotation with HB/wing now. I see Suckling in a more advance role, continuation/progression of role he played for the Hawks this year. Biggs and JJ can also spend a bit of time up the ground. It gives us greater flexibility with match ups/back line structure.

Daniel and McLean out of the 22 but with injuries/rotations they will have no problems getting a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    A fair bit of rotation with HB/wing now. I see Suckling in a more advance role, continuation/progression of role he played for the Hawks this year. Biggs and JJ can also spend a bit of time up the ground. It gives us greater flexibility with match ups/back line structure.

Daniel and McLean out of the 22 but with injuries/rotations they will have no problems getting a game.
    Well done Rocco.
    Roughead having to be a full time ruckman is a bit of a question mark of mine. Boyd being used as the back up is out of necessity.
    Stacked for mid sized players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

And if Redpath dominates pre season....a great problem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Stacked for mid sized players.
    Quality mid sized players at that, something we have focused on over the last few seasons.

It is almost like we took a punt that the sub rule wouldn't last and that interchange rotations would drop and having mid sized players who can play a variety of positions is vital.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Quality mid sized players at that, something we have focused on over the last few seasons.

It is almost like we took a punt that the sub rule wouldn't last and that interchange rotations would drop and having mid sized players who can play a variety of positions is vital.
    I think I called that out after the last draft. Versatile players with good endurance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

You can always judge a good side and its depth by its bench, and bias aside, that bench looks very impressive. I rate all four of those, and as you said, McLean/Daniel aren't listed.

Find a quality key defender and we'll be up to our eyeballs in premiership contention.