Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 team

If you'd told me during pre season that Rd1 team would not have any of Campbell Minson Hamling Roberts Collins Redpath in it I would've been shocked.

The only thing I can say now that its the case is watching Blues v Tiges last night I was struck by how the game seemed like 17 midfielders vs 17 midfielders (each team still had a ruckman) with the tall guys not helpful. Maybe its a Round 1 thing with the frenetic pace of Round 1.

2. Likes boydogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Don't have KPs who are AFL quality? Don't play them. That seems to be Bevo's take.
    If it works then great, if not he and the match committee have some explaining to do
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Heave-Ho has named 3 ruckmen in their line-up. Certainly a contrast to our selections. The big risk for us, imo, is that if things go in a certain direction, Roughead could end up going back to the FB line and Toyd has to be spent as first ruck. What we want is that their tall forwards are fairly ineffectual, Roughead holds his own in the ruck for 90% of the game, Toyd gives their backs a problem and our smaller mix of players runs rings around and through their lines.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Could the thinking be that we want to test the fitness of Freo's selected side and try and run them around?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Heave-Ho has named 3 ruckmen in their line-up. Certainly a contrast to our selections. The big risk for us, imo, is that if things go in a certain direction, Roughead could end up going back to the FB line and Toyd has to be spent as first ruck. What we want is that their tall forwards are fairly ineffectual, Roughead holds his own in the ruck for 90% of the game, Toyd gives their backs a problem and our smaller mix of players runs rings around and through their lines.
    We've all heard of a resting ruckman up forward, ours is a resting ruckman in defence.

Last year Bevo pulled this kind of stuff every week and it worked more often than not, so whilst I'm amazingly dubious against a big tall Freo side, I'll run with it.

Our mids are going to have to kick 10 goals between them for us to win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Congrats to Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams on their debuts. Both haven't put a foot wrong since arriving at the club.
    Yeah good luck to the first gamers. Fingers crossed their first career game is a win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Dickson out is a huge blow but not really a surprise. Got to find a scorer somewhere against a pretty stingey opposition
    Hopefully guys like Wallis, Hunter, Dalhaus etc chip in with a few. Hoping both T Boyd and Stringer have a good games. Stringer was there in the last nab game but didn't impact it very much and we need a bit more from him on Sunday. Hoping all our forwards have a great year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Congrats to Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams on their debuts. Both haven't put a foot wrong since arriving at the club.
    Best of luck to both of them.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If it works then great, if not he and the match committee have some explaining to do
    If nothing else he and his team are consistent with their selections.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited and nervous. High risk selection....should be a high octane game. At the end of the game Bevo will either be hailed a tactical genius or someone who may have got a little ahead of himself.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The positive is he hasn't shown any inclination to want to gamble on underdone players (Campbell, Dickson, Hamling etc) and previously has had a good read on which kids should play and when

The one selection that particularly surprises me is Dunkley over Jong

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    The positive is he hasn't shown any inclination to want to gamble on underdone players (Campbell, Dickson, Hamling etc) and previously has had a good read on which kids should play and when

Yes you would think that Dunkley being his first real AFL game wouldn't be thrown in the deep end and Jong who I think has the potential to have a good year would have been selected but I'm not the coach and they are the ones that know whats going down.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson and Dickson out nullify each other.
    Are we one tall short forward ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Dunkley selection is a bit of a surprise, but thought Jong was poor against the pies.
    I'm glad we're not throwing all our eggs into the round one basket, it can bite you in the arse having underdone players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If nothing else he and his team are consistent with their selections.
    For sure, we certainly select teams a bit differently since Bevo arrived. I'd have to go back to Wallace who had an obsession with pacy players and I think Bevo might also have some strong but different thoughts on team selections.