Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 team

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    Correct, however, there are a few who would look a lot better with a good pre season under them, also some body size increases over the summer would be welcome, the size difference in the final against Adelaide was very noticeable, our youngsters will be just about unstoppable once their bodies develop some more, I cannot wait, as I may have mentioned before I have followed this team and attended games since 1959, this is without doubt the best list we have had in that time, they are the real deal.
    I'm only 36 but I agree that this is the best dogs list I've seen in my time too. I'm excited to see the group develop together!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have enough key defensive and ruck prospects. Its a case of whoever performs best from the obvious candidates gets the gig.

What Im wondering is who are our prospective key forwards. Boyd and Redpath are the only obvious ones. So will Adams, Fletch or Hamling also be considered? They have all played forward before, in lower comps.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-2...st-22-for-2016

AFL website had a crack at our (and all others) best 22. Did a pretty fair job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post

The Bont would have to be the tallest rover of all time!

Post Thanks / Like

The major flaw with that team is Roughead is yet to prove he can be the number one ruckman. Based on last year, Minson is still the best ruckman we have and he proved that with a pretty good performance in the finals. I am talking right now and not the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The Bont would have to be the tallest rover of all time!
    It does look a bit ridiculous. For the sake of appearances, they should probably list Bont Centre, Wallis RR and Libba Rover, although these days it's all really the same thing. Love to know Bonts precise height, from photos looks like he could've grown slightly again (turned 20 through the week). One more cm and he will be the same height as Chris Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The major flaw with that team is Roughead is yet to prove he can be the number one ruckman. Based on last year, Minson is still the best ruckman we have and he proved that with a pretty good performance in the finals. I am talking right now and not the future.
    I think we all pencil in the Ruckman warily. Roughy/Campbell or Minson all have fair claims, it will probably come down to preseason form. Unless one of them progresses dramatically (or in Minson's case regains best form), they'll probably all get a turn throughout the year.

From a best 22/structural point of view, I guess the big query is whether we have room to go with Minson/Cambell and play Roughy off the bench as a 2nd Ruck/tall utility. With new I/C rules, there is speculation that there is greater scope for teams to revert back to a tall utility type option.

Post Thanks / Like

It does look a bit ridiculous. For the sake of appearances, they should probably list Bont Centre, Wallis RR and Libba Rover, although these days it's all really the same thing. Love to know Bonts precise height, from photos looks like he could've grown slightly again (turned 20 through the week). One more cm and he will be the same height as Chris Grant.

I think we all pencil in the Ruckman warily. Roughy/Campbell or Minson all have fair claims, it will probably come down to preseason form. Unless one of them progresses dramatically (or in Minson's case regains best form), they'll probably all get a turn throughout the year.

From a best 22/structural point of view, I guess the big query is whether we have room to go with Minson/Cambell and play Roughy off the bench as a 2nd Ruck/tall utility. With new I/C rules, there is speculation that there is greater scope for teams to revert back to a tall utility type option.
    Will be interesting who gets first dibs. Watched the replay of the North game last night and Roughy played very well against Goldstein. Although it helped when Big Jack kneed Goldstein in the hip in a ruck contest. I think with a full pre season training as a ruck/forward as well as being Bevo's favourite Roughy is the man initially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    B: Wood, Roberts, Morris
    HB: M.Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
    C: Picken, Wallis, Macrae
    HF: Stevens, Crameri, Dahlhaus
    F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson
    R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    I/C: Suckling, Hunter, Johannisen, Biggs
    -----------------------------------------------
    A fair bit of rotation with HB/wing now. I see Suckling in a more advance role, continuation/progression of role he played for the Hawks this year. Biggs and JJ can also spend a bit of time up the ground. It gives us greater flexibility with match ups/back line structure.

Daniel and McLean out of the 22 but with injuries/rotations they will have no problems getting a game.
    It's also interesting to look at the rest of the list from a depth perspective. Given the above, how would Foosccray's team look in R1? Maybe something like:

B: Adams/Collins/Prudden
    HB: Adcock/Cordy/Webb
    C: Williams/Dunkley/Dale
    HF: Daniel/Redpath/McLean
    F: Honeychurch/Campbell/Hamilton
    R: Minson/Jong/Hrovat
    I/C: Lynch, Goetz, Footscray players (C.Smith, RSmith to return)

Post Thanks / Like

It's also interesting to look at the rest of the list from a depth perspective. Given the above, how would Foosccray's team look in R1? Maybe something like:

B: Adams/Collins/Prudden
    HB: Adcock/Cordy/Webb
    C: Williams/Dunkley/Dale
    HF: Daniel/Redpath/McLean
    F: Honeychurch/Campbell/Hamilton
    R: Minson/Jong/Hrovat
    I/C: Lynch, Goetz, Footscray players (C.Smith, RSmith to return)
    that's a pretty strong second 11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    that's a pretty strong second 11
    Yeah I thought so. In terms of depth, our backs look really strong (Collins/Adams/Cordy is an exciting group of hungry, talented young key backs) and a good quality, versatile group of mids/flankers.

Key forwards is probably our main issue, with Boyd and Redpath really the only 2 we could look at as consistent key position sized options. 3 rucks in the magoos is good but really need them pressing hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Will be interesting who gets first dibs. Watched the replay of the North game last night and Roughy played very well against Goldstein. Although it helped when Big Jack kneed Goldstein in the hip in a ruck contest. I think with a full pre season training as a ruck/forward as well as being Bevo's favourite Roughy is the man initially.
    IMO it will come down largely to who best suits the game plan as it evolves into 2016. Minson was bypassed last year but looks leaner and will compete direct with Tom with Roughie to play back. I'd love Roughie to play ruck but I can't see it happening for more than bursts in a game. It will come down to who covers the ground better, Tom or Will, and is Will's clearance ability valued above Tom's ability to mark the ball and hit the scoreboard.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought so. In terms of depth, our backs look really strong (Collins/Adams/Cordy is an exciting group of hungry, talented young key backs) and a good quality, versatile group of mids/flankers.

Key forwards is probably our main issue, with Boyd and Redpath really the only 2 we could look at as consistent key position sized options. 3 rucks in the magoos is good but really need them pressing hard.
    Maybe we can add Adams to the key forward position sized options too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I think we have enough key defensive and ruck prospects. Its a case of whoever performs best from the obvious candidates gets the gig.

What Im wondering is who are our prospective key forwards. Boyd and Redpath are the only obvious ones. So will Adams, Fletch or Hamling also be considered? They have all played forward before, in lower comps.
    I may be getting slightly carried away with new recruit Collins (guilty) but the highlight reel posted on the club website shows him rather nonchalantly acquitting himself as a key forward. It's just mark and kick type stuff but well, there you go. Perhaps when he's not monstering full forwards he can menace the occasional full back as well.

I'm a wee bit excited about what this bloke brings to the table.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that Roughy doesn't seem able to ruck and stay fit for 22+ weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we can add Adams to the key forward position sized options too.
    Adams has played forward a fair bit in WA. He did seem to really find his niche when he went back though. I think he's a chance to pinch hit a bit, but it would be a massive ask to hold down a permanent/semi-permanent forward role in the AFL at this stage.