Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Timeouts in the AFL

I was chatting about this to a mate at the Collingwood game and the various merits of introducing a timeout for each team per game. This came about when my mate went to the toilet 3 times during a quarter and lamented missing sections of a great game. I suggested that the game needed a time out for him and it went from there. Most of the discussion focused on the loss of identity or Americanisation of our National game, which I think is a major hurdle. I'm not avocating this is anyway but I can see the AFL considering it one day in the future.

We discussed when and how a timeout could be called and we thought it could be called on a ball up, throw in, kick in, goal review or an injury. Only a coach or a captain can call a time out and it can only be done if one team is within six points of the other and potentially only in the last quarter.

A timeout would be a strategic call to halt momentum (say you are 4 goals up in the last and the opposition kick the last 3 goals), it would provide an opportuntiy to restructure and to hear the coaches directives face to face without the need for a runner to get around to the leadership group.

Can it ever work? Would the players benefit from a 5 minute time out during a match? Would spectators suffer it?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Timeouts in the AFL

On a practical level, how would coaches get down there in time? If they are on the bench, sure, but if they're in the box and have to run down, it causes unnecessary delay. It's a no for me.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how long it takes for a coach to get down on the ground. Certainly not more than a minute allowing 3-4 minutes on the ground. Perhaps the captain can call it. I'm thinking of all those times I've seen the captain very animated when the teams huddle after an injury where a player is stretchered off the ground.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I like momentum swings in games, they're exciting to watch. I can just see smart coaches killing the fabric of the game which sees teams get run ons. No a no for me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't think I like it either. I think it would be a pretty crappy way to kill momentum and would be a tad unsportsman-like.