Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrejs Everitt to wear No.3

Everitt dons famous Bulldogs jumper Fox Sports

November 28, 2007 THE No.3 jumper has been worn by three of the greatest figures in Western Bulldogs history, but retired star Chris Grant believes youngster Andrejs Everitt can live up to it.

It is a bold call, given the 18-year-old brother of Sydney veteran Peter Everitt is just eight matches into his AFL career.

The club had offered Grant the option of having the number retire with him, but the Bulldogs' games record-holder decided instead to hand it to Everitt.

The decision illustrates the high expectations the club has of the key position prospect, with the No.3 worn in the past by Bulldogs legend Ted Whitten, the captain of the club's Team of the Century.

Before that, it was worn by another former club captain and Team of the Century member Arthur Olliver, who played in the 1930s and 1940s and, like Whitten, once held the Bulldogs' games record.

Grant said he had not wanted to see such a famous jumper "kept in mothballs".

"We thought Andrejs, he's an outstanding prospect as a player, he's shown that in his first year of AFL footy," Grant said.

"More importantly, what really pleased us was the type of person he is.

"He works hard and there's no fuss about him on and off the field, he works hard and tries to get the job done and we decided it was going to go to someone who would do the number justice."

Grant said coach Rodney Eade had asked him whether he wanted to wait a few more seasons to see which of the young player established themselves.

"I preferred it to go straight into someone's hands that I thought could play a significant part in where we're going in the future and that person's Andrejs," he said.

Everitt said he was surprised, but honoured.

"At the start I didn't think I was going to play (this) year, but to see that I have played and they think of me that highly is really good, I'm looking forward to getting on with it next year," he said.

AAP

Post Thanks / Like

Now offer Andrejs a contract extension...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like