Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie Roarke Signs another year

Link

Western Bulldogs defender Roarke Smith has this week signed a one-year rookie contract, keeping him on the Club’s rookie list to the end of 2016.

Smith was recruited to the Bulldogs in the 2015 AFL Rookie Draft with pick number five overall from the Calder Cannons and impressed with his vertical leap and athleticism.

The 19-year-old made his AFL debut in round 21 against West Coast, after being upgraded to the Club’s senior list.

Smith spoke positively about his rapid development from rookie to AFL debutant, and his first season as a Bulldog.

“I didn’t think I’d be here today from where I started last year, it’s been a huge step and it’s been such a good year.

“I couldn’t have come to a better club at a better time.”

In a disappointing end to the year, Smith suffered a torn ACL in the final round of the VFL season and has since undergone a knee reconstruction.

Smith’s contract extension despite his injury highlights the defender’s promise and faith the Club has in the talented defender.

Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney said Smith’s extension was reward for hard work in his first season of senior football.

“Roarke has shown rapid development in his first year in the AFL system,” McCartney said.

“He’s a terrific young man and we look forward to him returning from his rehabilitation in 2016 to further build on the foundations he’s laid this year.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes azabob, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie Roarke Signs another year

Good on the club for doing the right thing by the kid. I hope he learns a lot watching up close next year and comes back roarking in 2017.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Happy with that - give him a year to rehab, showed good signs for a first year rookie
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see the club stick by him.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Great to see the club stick by him.
    Great for the other players to see that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy with this but the only problem is that he won't have much of a chance (if any) to impress in 2016 and then get promoted to the senior list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Happy with this but the only problem is that he won't have much of a chance (if any) to impress in 2016 and then get promoted to the senior list.
    The best time to learn about someone is to see how the act during bad times.

Perhaps he was close to being upgraded before the injury?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Good decision, I'm glad we're standing by him. Write next year off and give him a 3rd year on the rookie list in 2017 to give him a genuine shot at it. Seems a good kid, you'd think he'll do all the right things.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to the club for showing faith and supporting the young bloke, Club must rate him to not let the other clubs get a shot at him.

Could he have done all the rehab and training at the club next season or even with Footscray and then be re- rookied for the 2017 season ?

Not meaning to be callas but it might be a bit of a lost opportunity to get another rookie on the list to trial for 12 months.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Good decision, I'm glad we're standing by him. Write next year off and give him a 3rd year on the rookie list in 2017 to give him a genuine shot at it. Seems a good kid, you'd think he'll do all the right things.
    The club obviously rates him and this is definitely what they'll do. He's obviously a good kid. I'm happy with this.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Pity there is no long term rookie injury list so you can just reserve him if you will for a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see that when presented with the chance to do the 'right thing' - the club has done it. To me, there is an element of the 'greater good' there amongst the playing group. I would presume that the players would be happy to see the kid looked after for rehab and beyond.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't really know where else to put this, but turns out Roarke is working on a music career in addition to his rehab.

https://www.facebook.com/bumpfooty/v...2671573781436/
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Well he certainly looks like a muso.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.